ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Stoll Shot! Not Life Threatening Thank Goodness

4:30 AM, and there's no substantive hunting season here in Iowa right now.

If I've incorrectly assumed, then I apologize in advance. Goes back to my two different levels of gun safety certification programs that I took as a kid: guns and alcohol don't mix. That's why, to this day, I don't even pick up a gun if I've had one sip of alcohol.

Last edited:
I realize this is college, but for two or more kids to be awake and messing with firearms around 4:00 a.m. seems more than a little weird. Hope he has a full recovery.

Hope the kid is good to go this year.

I'm sure Vodka will be looking in to this to see if there is a conspiracy ... you know, slush funds and all.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Geez. That sucks. Happy as all get out it was non life threatening and hope like heck everything is OK for him.

Reactions: andegre
Sam is a nice dude, and easily in my Top 2 favorite Hawks, to-date. I sure hope it is as minor as the stories seem to make it.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Wow this could have been a real tragedy, I hope he heals with no negative effects on his ability to compete. That said from a team POV I don't see any impact even if he can't return. Aside from being a true freshman I think the incoming Casi is just as good of not better right now. He might have to burn his shirt sooner than expected but he is really really good.

4:30 AM, and there's no substantive hunting season here in Iowa right now.

If I've incorrectly assumed, then I apologize in advance. Goes back to my two different levels of gun safety certification programs that I took as a kid: guns and alcohol don't mix. That's why, to this day, I don't even pick up a gun if I've had one sip of alcohol.
Whether a hunting season is in effect or not has not dissuaded members of the Iowa wrestling team from shooting animals, if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Ban Basketball
Sam Stall never shoots. Had to be someone else who took the shot. (just kidding Iowa lurkers).

I hope he has a full and rapid recovery.

Reactions: Ski
I realize this is college, but for two or more kids to be awake and messing with firearms around 4:00 a.m. seems more than a little weird. Hope he has a full recovery.

Or maybe someone was startled out of his sleep thinking there was a break in taking place? Who's to say at this point? In any case, I feel bad for Stoll. Tough blow.

Edit: Just read the thread on HR and it sounds like he's already been discharged (so likely not serious). In addition, a different article linked on HR indicated multiple people were gathered when Stoll was accidentally shot. Sounds like Sam might have been very, very, very lucky. He should go out and buy a Powerball ticket.

Last edited:
Or maybe someone was startled out of his sleep thinking there was a break in taking place? Who's to say at this point? In any case, I feel bad for Stoll. Tough blow.

Edit: Just read the thread on HR and it sounds like he's already been discharged (so likely not serious). In addition, a different article linked on HR indicated multiple people were gathered when Stoll was accidentally shot. Sounds like Sam might have been very, very, very lucky. He should go out and buy a Powerball ticket.
Here’s what I just found.

I, too, hope for a full recovery for the young man as he heads towards his Senior season.

As for the incident itself, cause and accountability will follow. As a parent and safety professional, several layers of this are dumbfounding. Glad it wasn't worse, given the small amount of details in the story.

Poor kid has had a rough go of it with injuries. Here's hoping for a quick and complete recovery.

Perhaps the extent of the injury is minimal. It appears so. Chalk it up to a learning experience, and nod to the wrestling gods for giving you a huge mulligan. The bullet must have just grazed him, that's pure luck.

Am I the only one who immediately thought "What if this happened to a PSU football player"? ESPN would have had it running as a headline on their ticker, and Steven A Smith would already be yelling about it.

Reactions: dbldoofus and Ski
... As a parent and safety professional, several layers of this are dumbfounding ...
This thread’s title (Not Life Threatening) is not quite accurate because the shooter’s father is (first gonna sh*t, and then he’s) gonna threaten his son’s life if the son ever is so irresponsible again.

Last edited:
Reactions: CowboyUp61
Well, if grazed, that would be a case, I'd guess. Hospitals are always eager to get patients in and out as fast as possible anyway.

Well, that's my guess also. A 270 pound kid just suffered a gun shot wound to the knee and they let him out the same day. If that's not a graze, then it only exaggerates the joke of a system we have in this country in the medical business, AND the insurance business. Is a self inflicted gunshot wound covered by his insurance?

A couple of points here based on personal experience.

1. We don't know that the firearm was pointed directly at Stoll's knee. It could have been a ricochet off of another object.

2. If Stoll was hit by a ricochet, the velocity of the bullet would have been considerably lower AND it would have also been deformed. A ricochet can still cause injury, but not anywhere near as bad as a direct hit.

3. Stoll may have gone to the Hospital ER because it was the only place open at that time of the day.

About 25 years ago, I fired a jacketed 223 round at a steel target and the bullet ricocheted back into my leg. It happened so fast that everything seemed simultaneous. All it did was make a cut in my thigh. I had to go to an urgent care to get a stitch along with a tetanus shot. Of course, that meant an obligatory visit by the San Diego PD. I was a little embarrassed at having to explain my own stupidity, but other than that, no bad consequences. I left the urgent care about an hour later.

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT