ADVERTISEMENT

Sad News for D4 sports content - Rupert leaving the SunGaz

Good for him, terrible for us. He's been a real treasure.
Being from the Williamsport area, Mitch has done such an excellent job covering our local high school wrestling here in North Central PA., and really through out PA.
Mitch's employer, the Williamsport Sun Gazette has been on a downward trajectory lately. The paper is now printed in Altoona. We now get a Saturday paper which covers Sunday also. Sports coverage is pretty 2nd rate on weekends, with Friday night football box scores not making it into the paper until Monday's edition. If Mitch is as frustrated working for them now as their customers are then I totally understand him leaving.
Best of luck to you Mitch wherever you end up and thank you for the excellent and personal articles that you gave us to read!

Oh, man, I can't wait to see what that dude gets up to next. I've sat next to him at Nationals and found him to be a friendly, quiet, very hard worker. He's got a lot of experience 'on the beat(s)', but I'm always curious to see what old newspaper folk get up to when it's time to pivot. Will he blog? Can he link up with an existing outlet, or will he create something new?

As always, I'd guess money will provide the guiderails to those questions' answers.

We are moving back to PA in August, when the realtor asked me what areas we wanted to look at. I told her any school district that can wrestle for Benton or Southern Columbia lol

If you’re young enough those two schools use all the other local school districts as feeder programs so you should be all set.

ADVERTISEMENT