ADVERTISEMENT

Sad day

Psufarmer

Mar 20, 2019
Penn state has lost their biggest wrestling fan. My father SamMinor captain on the 1959 team passes last night at the age of 81. 7 of his 21 grandkids wrestled for canon Mac. We all enjoyed watching Sunday’s match with him a day before he passed. Hopefully some friends and teammates read this.

Penn state has lost their biggest wrestling fan. My father SamMinor captain on the 1959 team passes last night at the age of 81. 7 of his 21 grandkids wrestled for canon Mac. We all enjoyed watching Sunday’s match with him a day before he passed. Hopefully some friends and teammates read this.
Condolences

Condolences Psufarmer.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
If you read the history of psu wrestling there is a story of him taping weights to his chest for weigh in so he could wrestle up.
I'm real sorry to hear. But thanks for letting the board know. And that's an awesome story about him cheating the scale in the opposite direction; and that you all got to watch them shut out Navy together on Sunday.

I can’t think of any jokes but here is a good story. Supported his grandkids with so much love He rolled his car on the way to a wrestling tournament When I I left the tournament to go check on him I asked him if we were going to the hospital and he said no we’re going to the match. They had just cut him down from the seatbelt hanging upside down. He was a tough one! Such love!

I can’t think of any jokes but here is a good story. Supported his grandkids with so much love He rolled his car on the way to a wrestling tournament When I I left the tournament to go check on him I asked him if we were going to the hospital and he said no we’re going to the match. They had just cut him down from the seatbelt hanging upside down. He was a tough one! Such love!

great story. shows devotion to his family and to the sport. also shows he had that run-through-a-wall characteristic common in many from his era.

You should submit a story to be included on the Penn State Wrestling Club website under PSU Wrestling Memories. Not sure how you do that. Roar?

Mother Nature couldnt make a “winter storm” bad enough to keep us from a wrestling tourney, been there, done that. Thx for sharing!

You should submit a story to be included on the Penn State Wrestling Club website under PSU Wrestling Memories. Not sure how you do that. Roar?
Easy enough, but only if Psufarmer wants, and then only when he's ready.

Just go to pennstatewrestlingclub.org, click the leftside link to Leadership Contacts, and send the memory to Ben Niebel, Webmaster using the link to his email provided on that page.

Your father lived a full life it seems and he went peacefully: surrounded by family and love. How much better does it get than that? I am sure there is some sadness in your heart, but my guess is that there is a lot of joy and love in it too. What is sweeter than tears of joy? God Bless you guys.

Reactions: nitlion6
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/24-cylinders-12-blowers-power-peterbilt/?sm_id=organic_fb_social_HRN_191111_sf223427284&sf223427284=1&fbclid=IwAR2h3TmvE3hLkMaaZcGcDarvXgMWgNZaIw53vofAEclhHUN4wFpwkKyXU9Q

The man had his priorities!

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a wonderful father and grandfather.

Our sympathy to you and your family at this time of mourning. May you rest in remembrance of the light he brought into your collective lives.

So sorry to hear of Sams passing. Had the privileged of having Sam as a workout pardner my senior year. Then to coach him as the asst.coach. A wonderful man. I am richer having been associated with him. Rest assured our prayers and thoughts are with the family.

Sorry for your loss. Let it hurt as long as it needs to hurt, then just bathe in the warmth of the memories.

Reactions: bwfight
My prayers and condolences are with you and your family.

One of my fondest wrestling memories was attending the regional high school finals at Pitt Field house with my dad and watching John “Bimbo” Chatman pin his opponent in the finals. I remember thinking that no one would beat Chatman only to see him pinned in the state finals that year by Wade Schalles.

I lost my dad 6 years ago but all the great memories are still very much alive.

I’m sure most of us have a special attachment with our fathers through wrestling. Good memories. He was known throughout agricultural but wrestling was between us. Thank you all for you thoughts and prayers

ADVERTISEMENT