ADVERTISEMENT

Saban, Swinney: CFB "not sustainable...a train wreck" with transfer portal, NIL

Or somebody starts a football minor league. (this must be my fifth post suggesting this)

There should be a way for athletes with NFL dreams, but no academic goals, to prepare without going through the college path. Players would be free agents, sign a one year contract and be paid according to the market for their ability. And the pay would have to exceed the under the table money offered by the schools.

College football would continue with less headaches from the portal and early opt outs. NIL money would decrease since many top prospects would be in the minors.

Recruiting would be different since athletes would have options of college or minors.

Certainly not a perfect solution, but it should be an improvement.
That would seem to be the most likely outcome, 5-10 years from now.

Would you pay a dime to waste your money on a minor league football game???

Actually, I think I’ve paid as much as $3 dollars to attend a semi-pro game. The place was packed with about 25 or 30 other parents and girlfriends.
We have the Phillies AAA team and the Flyers minor league team in the Lehigh Valley and they both draw well. I think football would work if it was affiliated with the Eagles.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Link below. You know things are bad when the biggest names in coaching, who have the resources to take advantage (and are) of the new environment, say it's wrecking college football.

They could also have added the joke of a bowl system with players opting out right and left plus the constricted playoff where every year the same old teams compete for four spots.

I'm not for the changes, but when someone like Saban that has been abusing the "rules" for so long in order to dominate most seasons is against it, it merely tells me that it's not good for Saban. So maybe there is some positive to it.

Reactions: Jerry
I'm not for the changes, but when someone like Saban that has been abusing the "rules" for so long in order to dominate most seasons is against it, it merely tells me that it's not good for Saban. So maybe there is some positive to it.

Yeah, Saban took the mask off when he attacked Jimbo Fisher for "buying" A&M's top-ranked recruiting class.

In other words, in the new system, such as it is, Nick no longer rules the roost. So naturally he gets frowny-faced about how terrible it all is for college football. Which it might be. But it's a little hard to take such concerns seriously when expressed by Nick Saban.

ADVERTISEMENT