ADVERTISEMENT

S.I.AP. Incoming Penn State athlete shot to death in Philadelphia:

step.eng69

Nov 7, 2012
North East PA, Backmountain area, age 72
Incoming Penn State athlete shot to death in Philadelphia: police
Updated Aug 14, 10:38 PM; Posted Aug 14, 9:28 PM
harrisburg-33-imhotep-charter-14-high-school-football-week-zero-f0fe4beb87859154.jpg

Imhotep's Kristian Marche hauls in a pass against Harrisburg last season. Marche was headed to Penn State to run track, but he was shot to death Monday night in Philadelphia. (SEAN SIMMERS

blinder@pennlive.com

Kristian Marche was supposed to report to Penn State this week to begin his college track and field career, his high school coaches said.

The former Imhotep two-sport star will never get that chance.

Marche was shot to death on the 1800 Block of East Pastorious Street in North Philadelphia at 9:37 Monday night, an official with the Philadelphia Police Department told PennLive on Tuesday Night.

The official said Marche's death is "under investigation."

Marche was a brilliant sprinter, finishing second in the 100 at the PIAA state meet in 2017. He also suited up for the football team in the fall.

His death sparked an outpouring from coaches and athletes, and left Imhotep football coach Nick Lincoln stunned.

Imhotep's Kristian Marche, left, competes in the 100 meters at the PIAA track and field state championships in May. Marche was slated to run at Penn State, but police say he was shot to death in Philadelphia Monday night.
"I feel like he was the fastest kid in the state," Lincoln said. "He was a really intelligent kid that worked hard, and did what he needed to do to get where he needed to be."

Imhotep standout defensive back Tykee Smith remembered Marche as being "cool" and "funny."

"This is really tough," Smith said. "A lot of the guys on the team were really close with him. I know this is going to be hard for them."

Marche was listed in July as one of Penn State's 35 incoming track athletes.

His second-place finish in the 100 two years ago wasn't the only strong showing for the speedster. He was third in the state in the 100 in 2016, and finished fourth at the state meet earlier this year. He finished fourth in the 60 at the 2017 indoor state championships and was fifth in 2016.

He was a solid contributor in football. Marche averaged 7.1 yards per carry last season and scored three rushing touchdowns.

But, Tuesday, he was being remembered more for his personality than his athletic ability.

Imhotep assistant Cyril Woodland said Marche was "a great young man."

"He had a bright future," Woodland said. "There are just the circumstances we live in. It's crazy. I'm just speechless."

Awful news and a terrible loss, right before he was about to get out of the inner city.

RIP Kristian

Reactions: ImaWright
Awful. Imhotep has a lot big time athlete recruits coming out of it, I'm hopeful a few them can make it and give back. Hopefully make that area of North Philly a little safer.
FWIW, the vibe in Center City is that the violence around the city is going to get worse before it gets better. Which is really sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
Awful. Imhotep has a lot big time athlete recruits coming out of it, I'm hopeful a few them can make it and give back. Hopefully make that area of North Philly a little safer.
FWIW, the vibe in Center City is that the violence around the city is going to get worse before it gets better. Which is really sad.

My son lived in north Philly and did some volunteer work one summer while going to Temple.

His job at a Catholic grade school included spending the lunch hour on the playground making sure the local drug dealers kept their distance from the 5 to 10 year old children.

None of us from a safe and secure area can fully understand what it means to live in that type of environment.

How terribly sad to see a young man doing the right things, earning his way out, and having his life taken. I feel for his family. You send your kid to an alternative school to improve his chances and then have everything taken away in a moment.

According to the article this is the housing that Kristian was shot. Seems like a nice neighborhood (10 miles north) compared to the surrounding area of Temple Univ. where I’ve been investigating roof top cellular sites the last couple of years.

streetview

1800 E Pastorius St is a condo in Philadelphia, PA 19138. This 1,568 square foot condo features 4 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. This property was built in 1925. Nearby schools include St Athanasius-immaculate Conception School, Pennypacker Samuel School and West Oak Lane Christian Academy. The closest grocery stores are Tejade Grocery, Choo's Produce and Rodney Food Market. Nearby coffee shops include Dunkin' Donuts, 7-Eleven and Sugafoot Cafe'. Nearby restaurants include Golden City Chinese Restaurant, Papa Joe's Pizza and Relish. 1800 E Pastorius St is near Awbury Arboretum, Cliveden Park and Kemble Park. There are some bike lanes and the terrain is flat as a pancake. 1800 E Pastorius St is bikeable, there is some bike infrastructure. This address can also be written as 1800 East Pastorius Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19138.

According to the article this is the housing that Kristian was shot. Seems like a nice neighborhood (10 miles north) compared to the surrounding area of Temple Univ. where I’ve been investigating roof top cellular sites the last couple of years.

streetview

1800 E Pastorius St is a condo in Philadelphia, PA 19138. This 1,568 square foot condo features 4 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. This property was built in 1925. Nearby schools include St Athanasius-immaculate Conception School, Pennypacker Samuel School and West Oak Lane Christian Academy. The closest grocery stores are Tejade Grocery, Choo's Produce and Rodney Food Market. Nearby coffee shops include Dunkin' Donuts, 7-Eleven and Sugafoot Cafe'. Nearby restaurants include Golden City Chinese Restaurant, Papa Joe's Pizza and Relish. 1800 E Pastorius St is near Awbury Arboretum, Cliveden Park and Kemble Park. There are some bike lanes and the terrain is flat as a pancake. 1800 E Pastorius St is bikeable, there is some bike infrastructure. This address can also be written as 1800 East Pastorius Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19138.

Looks can be deceiving Step. Northern Philadelphia is and always has been a bad area. Olney & West Oak Lane especially.

Wander off of Roosevelt Blvd. / N. Broad and you will be singing a different tune.

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT