ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Ryan Looking For 'Controlled Anger' From Surging Ohio State Wrestling Team

bwfight

Feb 6, 2014
This is the headline from a recent Flo interview with Tan Tom. I’m afraid he and the twin gnomes are grasping at straws. They have no clue how to close the ever widening gap between their programs and PSU.

This is the headline from a recent Flo interview with Tan Tom. I’m afraid he and the twin gnomes are grasping at straws. They have no clue how to close the ever widening gap between their programs and PSU.
I thought he had the start of something big with the 2022 class. That's what I once read.

A dual with them would be interesting to start (Davis vs McCrone, Nagao vs Bouzakis, Beau vs Mendez), but like every other team, they’re going to get smashed in the back side of the lineup.

Reactions: Ja1339
Buckeyes have a good squad with some pretty good wrestlers coming on line the next year or so like Davino, Rogotske... This year was just bad luck with Gallagher, Hoffman, Sasso, Karchla..

So back in 2021, after landing Jesse Mendez, there was talk about the recruiting tOSU class of Mendez, Bouzakis, Feldman and Shumate being the greatest recruiting class ever. Jesse is quoted in this article as saying ‘they’re building a dynasty..’.

2+ years later these guys are all looking up at PSU guys in the rankings: Bouzakis 12 to Nagao’s 5, Mendez 3 to Beau’s 2, Shumate’s 32 to Truax’s 5, and Feldman’s 16 to Kerk’s 1.

tOSU team has been dealt some very tough cards for sure but it looks like the dynasty talk should be on hold for now.

Last edited:
Penn State in comparison only had 1 guy in the class, not four, but he made the finals as a true frosh and is currently ranked #1. They then added a second guy from the class who is currently setting the college wrestling world on fire right now. I’ll take our two guys, Haines & Mesenbrink, to win more championships than their entire dynasty class.

So back in 2021, after landing Jesse Mendez, there was talk about the recruiting tOSU class of Mendez, Bouzakis, Feldman and Shumate being the greatest recruiting class ever. Jesse is quoted in this article as saying ‘they’re building a dynasty..’.

2+ years later these guys are all looking up at PSU guys in the rankings: Bouzakis 12 to Nagao’s 5, Mendez 3 to Beau’s 2, Shumate’s 32 to Truax’s 5, and Feldman’s 16 to Kerk’s 1.

tOSU team has been dealt some very tough cards for sure but it looks like the dynasty talk should be on hold for now.
OMG, a high school kid got excited.

I thought he had the start of something big with the 2022 class. That's what I once read.
Of course. They are the perennial national recruiting champs. Then Tan Tom teaches them to wrestle angry and uses pin chains and robes to motivate them. Once they maximize their deadlifts they spend the rest of their career on bottom. 🤣

Of course. They are the perennial national recruiting champs. Then Tan Tom teaches them to wrestle angry and uses pin chains and robes to motivate them. Once they maximize their deadlifts they spend the rest of their career on bottom. 🤣
AJ would fit right in.

Reactions: bwfight
A dual with them would be interesting to start (Davis vs McCrone, Nagao vs Bouzakis, Beau vs Mendez), but like every other team, they’re going to get smashed in the back side of the lineup.
I think the only matches that will be interesting are 141 and 149. I believe we are solid favorites at all the other weights. I unfortunately think Mendez beats Bartlett and Demilio/Kasak will be a toss up though I think Kasak wins that. I can see a 32-3 or 29-6 win.

Penn State built a machine and they won't be stopped in the future. We're in a simmer place if we talk about football with what Ohio State is doing right now, transfer portal and NI Allan such.

No one's touching Penn State in the next 10 years.

Don't forget about positive infinity and the distinction between a great team and a great program.

Penn State built a machine and they won't be stopped in the future. We're in a simmer place if we talk about football with what Ohio State is doing right now, transfer portal and NI Allan such.

No one's touching Penn State in the next 10 years.
10 years? Is that the time when Bo Nickal's baby son graduate (he's super intelligent baby)?

They have to try something different, because what they're currently doing isn't helping them catch up to PSU. This doesn't sound like it'll help much either. I think they need a better plan. Lol.

Does controlled anger set in for recruits two years in when they realize they are not going to shock the world?

• Haha
It was a long bus ride, with mediocre officiating, flulike symptoms, and uncontrolled anger. Our young Jedi’s never stood a chance.

• Haha
Reactions: LOTOlion
They have to try something different, because what they're currently doing isn't helping them catch up to PSU. This doesn't sound like it'll help much either. I think they need a better plan. Lol.
Maybe 10 or 11 blackshirts will be enough firepower to take PSU down? I never really understood why Ryan designates fewer.

Reactions: danoftw
@El-Jefe was there something too mean spirited or out of line about my post? If not, why the harsh response? Aren’t we on the same side?
Why do we care today what a HS kid thought at the time about his college's recruiting class? It seems so far beneath a real dynasty. Lions don't care about sheep.

And those comparative rankings don't say what you intended, because you ignored years of D1 experience. They proved only that Mendez is pretty far ahead of where Bartlett was at the same point in his career.

Why do we care today what a HS kid thought at the time about his college's recruiting class? It seems so far beneath a real dynasty. Lions don't care about sheep.

And those comparative rankings don't say what you intended, because you ignored years of D1 experience. They proved only that Mendez is pretty far ahead of where Bartlett was at the same point in his career.
I'll say! BB has only lost 3 times since he dropped to 141,

Season Summaries​

Season
YearSchoolRank/PlcWeightRecordWin %Bonus %RPI
2024JR St#1 Penn State#3 NQ14112 - 0100.00 %50.00 %NA (0.724)
2023SO St#1 Penn State#3 3rd14127 - 390.00 %33.33 %0.703
2022FR St#1 Penn State#18 NQ14915 - 1060.00 %20.00 %0.631
2021FR St#2 Penn State#221498 - 372.73 %27.27 %NA (0.574)
2020SRHigh SchoolNA1410 - 0 (2 - 2).00 %25.00 %NA (NA)
Career

True. It would have been interesting to see Beau's trajectory had he started at 133 as a true freshman and then moved to 141 the year after that as Mendez has, since both probably considered 133 their optimal weight as freshmen and 141 their optimal weight now. I do agree that it doesn't do anyone any good to pick apart things that high school kids say upon verballing or signing with school X, Y or Z. I'm a slight Bartlett lean in a head to head match up with Mendez, but surely wouldn't be surprised or shocked if Mendez won, but who cares, it doesn't change anything else that's been said here about tOSU.

Is Ryan breaking out the robes again? 🤔
What happened to the tan plan too? OSU looked pretty pale. Why doesn't Tan Tom have a tan team anymore?

Have the robes & tanning booths been replaced by positive infinity & controlled anger with only deadlifting left from their glory days?

Last edited:
Reactions: Callthestall
True. It would have been interesting to see Beau's trajectory had he started at 133 as a true freshman and then moved to 141 the year after that as Mendez has, since both probably considered 133 their optimal weight as freshmen and 141 their optimal weight now. I do agree that it doesn't do anyone any good to pick apart things that high school kids say uponn different verballing or signing with school X, Y or Z. I'm a slight Bartlett lean in a head to head match up with Mendez, but surely wouldn't be surprised or shocked if Mendez won, but who cares, it doesn't change anything else that's been said here about tOSU.
I don't know how much starting at 133 would of made a difference. Certainly his record would have been better. I don't think his style would be much different. He loves to counter from his feet. He is very good at it and opponents know it, hence the limited scoring in his matches. Beau does try for some arm locks and throws but against quality opponents they are hard to hit.

Reactions: WexfordWarrior
I don't know how much starting at 133 would of made a difference. Certainly his record would have been better. I don't think his style would be much different. He loves to counter from his feet. He is very good at it and opponents know it, hence the limited scoring in his matches. Beau does try for some arm locks and throws but against quality opponents they are hard to hit.

Who knows. Beau appears to be supremely confident and it's why he always seems to win a close match or even an overtime match. That said, it's hard to imagine that being asked to wrestle up practically two weights as a true freshman in the Big Ten can't hurt your confidence and change your technique or strategy at least a little bit when you're wrestling guys who are not only bigger than you, but who might be considerably stronger. It's moot because Bartlett didn't have a spot at 133 or at 141 as a true freshman, but.......

Reactions: mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT