ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Day comments on NIL

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
I thought his comments re NIL at the BIG media day were interesting. He spoke of how we need to figure out how to spread the money around - QB, RB, WR and maybe a sack star get the $$$, but he asks what happens to the OL players who block. totally understandable through the lens of a coach, but this deal is not about team.....it is about individual. the brand of the team, logos, history is the school brand - not individual.

Day's view is an interesting comment, since the school can't start handing $$$ out to any player or the entire team. the NIL $$$ go from the sponsors/advertisers and others of interest in promoting the value of the player. The athlete then gets the $$$$, which is now taxable income. the player can give out $$$ to teammates but they still have the tax on the income. PJ Fleck had some good insight into this problem.

I think his view is rather myopic...
Given Day is not too bright I understand why. So, he is saying great college OL will not have NIL appeal to companies like KOMATSU or Caterpillar...etc Probably not...one surely would never see a DL in an ad for a soda company...

I never understand Day when he speaks about anything anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
I thought his comments re NIL at the BIG media day were interesting. He spoke of how we need to figure out how to spread the money around - QB, RB, WR and maybe a sack star get the $$$, but he asks what happens to the OL players who block. totally understandable through the lens of a coach, but this deal is not about team.....it is about individual. the brand of the team, logos, history is the school brand - not individual.

Day's view is an interesting comment, since the school can't start handing $$$ out to any player or the entire team. the NIL $$$ go from the sponsors/advertisers and others of interest in promoting the value of the player. The athlete then gets the $$$$, which is now taxable income. the player can give out $$$ to teammates but they still have the tax on the income. PJ Fleck had some good insight into this problem.

Most of the kids who make some money off NIL are not going to making a lot. There will be some high profile players that will make a killing. Spreading it around, not sure if that is going to work.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Most of the kids who make some money off NIL are not going to making a lot. There will be some high profile players that will make a killing. Spreading it around, not sure if that is going to work.

If you force them to spread it around, there won't be much to spread. The guys who can actually make money will just find a way to skip college in that case.

Like with the NIL for CFB video games - what will each guy get from EA, like $100.00? I guess a lot more if you are the one guy on the cover

I think his view is rather myopic...
Given Day is not too bright I understand why. So, he is saying great college OL will not have NIL appeal to companies like KOMATSU or Caterpillar...etc Probably not...one surely would never see a DL ad for soda company...

I never understand Day when he speaks about anything anyway.
Exactly. People who pay NIL money are going to pay it to those players who they think they can money off of endorsing. They won’t give a damn if it creates individualism or chemistry problems for college coaches.

Exactly. People who pay NIL money are going to pay it to those players who they think they can money off of endorsing. They won’t give a damn if it creates individualism or chemistry problems for college coaches.
In many cases it won’t even be if there is a ROI, but rather they are a fan or alum that just wants to help get the high profile kids to their team or stay with their team.

I haven't read the specific language and whether there are potential limitations, but on the surface, it seems that NIL would effectively legalize the old bag man phenomenon.

Instead of a booster secretly handing a kid some cash, can't the booster now pay a kid for an autograph, some rights to use his NIL whether he ever does or not, or to show up at a party and take pictures?

So that begs the question, who were the bag men paying before? was it only the glamour positions? Did OL ever get $100 handshakes? Seems like now, you can just sign a contract and hand the cash over legally.

ADVERTISEMENT