ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Barker

Kickers seem to be ridiculously hard to evaluate. Even the kids that fare well at the elite kicking camps don’t always make it in college. We had a local kid about 15 years ago who set records in the area for field goals, including a few 50 yarders. He was offered some walk on spots at big schools, but couldn’t handle the pressure. I believe in his second or third year of college, he got so bad he couldn’t even kick off without kicking it out of bounds.

Kicking is over 50% mental. There are a lot guys with good legs. There are a lot of good practice kickers. It is like golf. If you get in a rut, like shanking, it is almost impossible to get it out of your head. Pressure is the same, some guys melt, others don't. You need ones that don't. Not easy to test in practice.

Lee Trevino responded to reporters asking how he was so good under pressure at big events. He said something like this isn't pressure. Pressure is playing a hundred dollar Nassau with 5 bucks in your pocket.

Kickers need to be like that.

I care less about the 50+ yard kicks and prefer someone that is nearly automatic from less than 45.
Penn State has had kickers who had distance and good consistency. It's not too much to ask for both, and important for success. Look at how close Ohio State came to beating Georgia in the semifinals. Very makeable FG for a good kicker to win and Ruggles couldn't hit it.

I forget the kickers name he missed a few FG”s in our game with Virginia and he was harassed by our fans. If I remember he ended up kicking the game winning FG against BC

Simply put, the kid from ABE has to step up or transfer to Lehigh or Lafayette. There are enough bodies to make him earn his scholly by now...or look for other options.

Coach said the competition has brought out his best. If he earns the start but misses his first 3 kicks you can bet that the Columbia kid or Barker will get their shot.

Again- we have come a long way inthis area if we have multiple viable options. Like Nordin and Moody- whomever is making kicks plays until they aren't.

Sam Ficken. But the students supported him tremendously. He went onto a few years in the NFL.
One of my all time favorites at PSU. He was forced to start as a true freshman. Starting kicker transferred to Texas because his mom was ill. In came Ficken. Fans were 💯 nasty to Ficken. The comments were sickening. Felt bad for the kid. He turned out to one on the best kickers in PSU history.

Reactions: MacNit07
One of my all time favorites at PSU. He was forced to start as a true freshman. Starting kicker transferred to Texas because his mom was ill. In came Ficken. Fans were 💯 nasty to Ficken. The comments were sickening. Felt bad for the kid. He turned out to one on the best kickers in PSU history.
kicker transferred to Texas bc of sanctions.

kicker transferred to Texas bc of sanctions.
It was a combo - sanctions and family situation. Anthony Fera was a talent and was definitely a big loss at the time. However- the Ficken story sort of aligned perfectly with the overall PSU novel of those years. A rollercoaster ride for sure- that ended up more favorably than initially expected.

That idiot Hurricane asshat Dan Le Batard and his mentally challenged father joyfully celebrated our loss to UVa and showed the lowlights for Ficken. I've hated the show ever since- and wrote a note to them about the piece. Not surprisingly there was no response. As an '87 grad all I can say to those jackasses is 14-10....how you like that Papi?????!!!!!!!

Ficken was indeed an adventure- but the BC kick was magical. A great ending!

It was a combo - sanctions and family situation. Anthony Fera was a talent and was definitely a big loss at the time. However- the Ficken story sort of aligned perfectly with the overall PSU novel of those years. A rollercoaster ride for sure- that ended up more favorably than initially expected.

That idiot Hurricane asshat Dan Le Batard and his mentally challenged father joyfully celebrated our loss to UVa and showed the lowlights for Ficken. I've hated the show ever since- and wrote a note to them about the piece. Not surprisingly there was no response. As an '87 grad all I can say to those jackasses is 14-10....how you like that Papi?????!!!!!!!

Agree, hate lebatard

Reactions: LeatherHelmets

also won the ireland classic with a late fg to begin that season, if i recall correctly.

My neighbor called him F'in Ficken lol
Thought it was Fricken Ficken.

O'Brien had 3 chances to go for it in the UVa debacle...he set Ficken up for failure. That team went 8-4 and 3 of those losses were directly on O'Brien. Should have been 11-1.

Reactions: JWB389
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT