ADVERTISEMENT

Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died. RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
No disrespect to RBG but IMO it's silly that it's a lifetime appointment and as a result some say on as long as they can. Make it 25 years. That's enough for anyone. And while you're at it, put the same limit on the amount of time people can be in Congress.

“In the long run we are all dead”
The-Ambassadors-by-Hans-Holbein-1533-Oil-on-oak-207-209-cm-National-Gallery.png

Rarely agreed with her decisions but respected her. The Scalias and Ginsbergs were close. They were often on opposite sides of judicial decisions, yet still were able to work together in a civil manner. Condolences to her family.
They were more than close. Attended operas together. They often went on vacations together. Wish we could just get along as well.

I was not too familiar with her decisions and I was not too familiar with her personal life and journey to the Supreme Court. But I will say this about RBG, anyone who dedicates the better part of their life to public service deserves all our respect. May she Rest In Peace.

Reactions: BrucePa
No disrespect to RBG but IMO it's silly that it's a lifetime appointment and as a result some say on as long as they can. Make it 25 years. That's enough for anyone. And while you're at it, put the same limit on the amount of time people can be in Congress.
Agree. Term limits is long overdue

Reactions: bison13
An overwhelming % of Americans prefer term limits, but don't understand one of the biggest failings in our democracy. "We The People" don't get to vote on term limits --- Congress does. That may explain why it will never get done. Every voter, regardless of party, should ask candidates for the House or the Senate "Are you in favor of term limits" and, if so, "Will you go on record as supporting that". And even if they answer "yes" to each question, they probably won't act. Our forefathers blew it on this one!

Last edited:
An overwhelming % of Americans desire term limits, but don't understand one of the biggest failings in our democracy. "We The People" don't get to vote on term limits --- Congress does. That may explain why it will never be done. Every voter, regardless of party, should ask every candidate for the House or the Senate "Are you in favor of term limits" and, if so, "Will you go on record as supporting that". And even if they answer "yes" to each question, they won't act. Our forefathers blew it on this one!
True term limits will require an amendment to the Constitution. Congress has to put that in motion (which is self-defeating). Another possibility is a Constitutional Convention - which 10 years ago I would have laughed at, but now think that's where we're heading.

We live in a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy btw.

An overwhelming % of Americans prefer term limits, but don't understand one of the biggest failings in our democracy. "We The People" don't get to vote on term limits --- Congress does. That may explain why it will never get done. Every voter, regardless of party, should ask candidates for the House or the Senate "Are you in favor of term limits" and, if so, "Will you go on record as supporting that". And even if they answer "yes" to each question, they probably won't act. Our forefathers blew it on this one!
There already are term limits. They’re called elections.

There are a lot of arguments that can be made for term limits / age limits for Supreme Court justices. However, RBG’s service and her death are one of the worst arguments for term limits that I can think of. Please go read the coverage of her death on Fox News and CNN. She is one of the few public figures who both sides of the aisle truly appreciated as a great American and recognize as a great loss. She transcended politics in a way that few in our day and age have been able to do. She served our country well until her death and is the definition of someone who deserved to leave on her own terms. I know there are examples to the contrary but my point is that RBG’s service is an argument in favor of, not against, lifetime appointments.

Last edited:
The two greats of our time Ginsberg and Scalia were actually friends though diametrically opposed. Food for thought for all you absolute activists out there and the blueprint for our great democracy / republic (take your pick), It is the only way it will continue to stand.....higher power willing (Christian, Buddhist, Muslim , Scientologist.....politically correctly speaking and all).

The pendulum swings left and right and hopefully will continue to do so!

Reactions: psu7113
I rarely agreed with her constitutional Interpretation, and I think she was pressured to remain in office for obvious reasons. But its hard to not respect her for her service and the fact she stuck to her principles which is a rare thing. RIP, and a life well lived.

Totally disagree that our forefathers blew it. Without getting into the weeds regarding whether or not they believed a large Republic could be maintained, I think it was impossible for them to have foreseen the level of gerrymandering which occurs now. Congress’s approval rating hovers in the single digits annually, but retention rates for incumbents are over 90%.

For bluewhiteApos: Two reasons......gerrymandering as mentioned by Supertodd, means your Congressman represents that district’s wishes. And the way that the system is set up to reward seniority means old Congressmen have all the power.

Reactions: bison13
There already are term limits. They’re called elections.
True, but in actuality perhaps not completely true. Due to gerrymandering, the voting districts for many House and Senate seats have been set up to always be "safe" for one of the two parties. Both Republicans and Democrats have historically been complicit in this practice. It's a big reason why such a high percentage of incumbents are returned to office --- they almost can't lose.

I think it’s an interesting phenomenon. Everybody hates congress, but likes their congressman. Everybody is for term limits, but re-electS their congressman over and over again.

Just like lawyers; many people dislike them but like their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT