ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers mascot: LOL

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
According to the linked news report, Rutgers University "will add add homosexual, female, transgender and multiple racial incarnations of the Scarlet Knight to more accurately represent the student body."

I feel a little sympathy for the Rutgers alums, but you could not make up a funnier story if you tried. Check it out.

http://www.my9nj.com/story/29005084/mascot-drama

Last edited:
Maybe PSU should have a female Nittany Lion mascot as well as Nittany Lion mascots of all ethnicities and sexual orientation.

According to the linked news report, Rutgers University "will add add homosexual, female, transgender and multiple racial incarnations of the Scarlet Knight to more accurately represent the student body."

I feel a little sympathy for the Rutgers alums, but you could not make up a funnier story if you tried. Check it out.

http://www.my9nj.com/story/29005084/mascot-drama
Rutgers will make our next game at their stadium a "rainbow out".
gay_pride_of_rainbow_mens_all_over_print_tshirt.jpg

Reactions: Hotshoe
How is the knight going to demonstrate that it is homosexual?

When I fist read about this a couple of days ago my thought was to pull the helmet visor down over the mascot's face then no one will know what's behind it, problem solved.

Reactions: TPSU_Lion
Oh geez, that is just stupid. Hopefully the reasonable people at Rutgers prevail. Hey, Pennsylvania is a diverse state. PSU should have an Amish Nittany Lion. Minnesota should have a Norwegian Gopher. Ole Miss should have a rebel banging on a Bible. Notre Dame is way ahead of the game. They already have a homosexual mascot.

Way to go Delany. Getting uncomfortable yet in the Mid West?

I guess a knight smacks of white privilege. They should have something more neutral. For example, they could be called "The Fighting Pickles." But then pickles don't fight and we don't want to advocate violence. Therefore, maybe it be best to call them something like, "The Happy Pickles.".

Condolences to the good 'ole alumni. They must be embarrassed to tears. The "diversity recruiting tactic" gone bonkers.

Just out of curiosity, how do we know the sexual orientation of the current mascot?

Unfortunately for Rutgers, they won't be as progressive as the Ha'waii Rainbow Warriors, but at least they aren't South Carolina Gamecocks or Oregon State Beavers.

Interesting enough, Rutgers mascot used to be the Chanticleers before they changed to Scarlet Knights. Their football coach at the time said he supported the move because "You can call it the Chanticleer, you can call it a fighting cock, you can call it any damn thing you want, but everybody knows it's a chicken."

This does remind me of when the first African-American Nittany Lion was chosen. I'd gone to the game but my brother hadn't, and I got to "pass the Lion". I told my brother about it and said, "oh, by the way, the Lion is black this year". He suddenly had a look of horror on his face. He then said "They changed the costume??". All I did was stare at him for a minute, whereupon he got it--and noted "well, at least you know I'm colorblind".....

This does remind me of when the first African-American Nittany Lion was chosen. I'd gone to the game but my brother hadn't, and I got to "pass the Lion". I told my brother about it and said, "oh, by the way, the Lion is black this year". He suddenly had a look of horror on his face. He then said "They changed the costume??". All I did was stare at him for a minute, whereupon he got it--and noted "well, at least you know I'm colorblind".....
Funny story.

Unbelievable. the LGBT is 9 million people, or 3% of the country. And we have stuff like this bending over backwards to make them feel accepted. Frankly I don't care what you do on your own time but isn't this the type of boneheadedness that will actually stir up more hate.

What about disabled students can we get a Scarlet Knight in a wheel chair? Will there be a Muslim Scarlet Knight? Can't leave anyone out, wouldn't it be a shame if someone felt not included. Will the Muslim Scarlet Knight attack the Jewish Scarlet Knight? How about a homeless Scarlet Knight? How about a starving African Scarlet Knight.

I can do this all day.

Will the African American Scarlet Knight get beaten up by the cops? Will New Brunswick have riots for the African American Scarlet Knight? #BlackMascotsLiveMatter

I thought New Jersey already had a mascot..

1246752-toxicavenger.jpg

jj: What's that purple thing in his/her midsection? Looks vaguely reminiscent of a sideways hoohah.

Is ru going to bring all these mascots to this year's game in Happy Valley? If so, definitely make it the whiteout game. ;)

That's a really misleading article to be honest. A student proposed the changes to the mascot, and the Student Assembly approved it...they have no say in what actually gets done at the University. Why the media is wasting its time acting like this has legs is insane.

Even off the field rutgers athletics continues to embarrass themselves, can someone remind me again what the Big 10 was thinking taking these idiots over Syracuse or Uconn or Boston College or SOMEONE from the northeast other than penn state who can contribute ANYTHING to the conference. Literally all Rutgers is doing is riding on the coattales of the successfull programs in the conference and bleeding the money away. That school's athletics facilities are an absolute disaster, the RAC is even worse than Rec Hall

Unbelievable. the LGBT is 9 million people, or 3% of the country. And we have stuff like this bending over backwards to make them feel accepted. Frankly I don't care what you do on your own time but isn't this the type of boneheadedness that will actually stir up more hate.

What about disabled students can we get a Scarlet Knight in a wheel chair? Will there be a Muslim Scarlet Knight? Can't leave anyone out, wouldn't it be a shame if someone felt not included. Will the Muslim Scarlet Knight attack the Jewish Scarlet Knight? How about a homeless Scarlet Knight? How about a starving African Scarlet Knight.

I can do this all day.
Various studies, including the most recent by the federal govt., put the homosexual population at 1.6%. The "transgendered" is something like 0.003%. Those who support soapy's innocence is ca. 0.001%.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT