ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Rutgers Dual Thread 1/16

prayers up for brandon meredith
Give him credit for taking one for the team. It's not much fun getting your butt kicked in front of a full Rec Hall, which he had to know was the likely outcome. The only chance he had to win was if the Rutgers kid injury defaulted. By giving up a TF and not a pin he saved the team one point. I suspect the staff was neither surprised nor disappointed..

Random thought but did Brady beat Creighton in a wrestle off? Hard to imagine Cael just gives him the 165 match without something to indicate he's ahead of Creighton.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Berge at 157 come tournament time. A guess would be that the coaches wanted to get him on the mat as soon as possible for ranking purposes and just to get the feel of being out there again. It's pretty clear the team is stronger if Berge steps in at 157 and Edsell stays at 165.

In theory he could have chosen top and accomplished the same thing. As long as he doesn't give up a reversal. Either way, I agree, smart call on the choice.
Top doesn't work. Escape by BB would give him a 4-3 win.

In any case, I suspect another rule change will be in order for next year.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Absolutely not lol.

Other than the Sacred Heart kid, Beau has only wrestled NQ level guys this year and Rivera arguably swung the results of two of his matches. Verk did not have nearly the same level of success Beau has had against those guys
Actually, in 2020 Jarod took both Sammy Sasso and Brayton Lee into overtime and beat Graham Rooks and Yahya Thomas to qualify for the cancelled national tournament.

Actually, in 2020 Jarod took both Sammy Sasso and Brayton Lee into overtime and beat Graham Rooks and Yahya Thomas to qualify for the cancelled national tournament.
And he lost those OT matches. Nobody denies Jarod could wrestle close matches. You don’t get points for that. Beau has shown an ability to beat a returning AA (don’t compare beating 2020 Yahya to beating an AA btw lol) and like I said two of his lost matches this year had Rivera’s fingerprints all over it (though Beau will need to take him out of those matches going forward since Rivera isn’t going anywhere)

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I might have missed it but did anyone say how much Berge weighed in?

Top doesn't work. Escape by BB would give him a 4-3 win.

In any case, I suspect another rule change will be in order for next year.
My thot exactly … what is the difference between awarding a stalling call (point) for a wrestler backing off the mat boundary line to avoid wrestling and a wrestler taking 5 steps straight backwards (although in bounds) to avoid wrestling? And why o why are we subjected to Angel Rivera so many matches … guy is always in the middle of so many controversial calls … the VAST majority of which go against Penn State.

Reactions: ccdiver
And he lost those OT matches. Nobody denies Jarod could wrestle close matches. You don’t get points for that. Beau has shown an ability to beat a returning AA (don’t compare beating 2020 Yahya to beating an AA btw lol) and like I said two of his lost matches this year had Rivera’s fingerprints all over it (though Beau will need to take him out of those matches going forward since Rivera isn’t going anywhere)
Jarod's 15-4 wrestling for Virginia. A match with Beau would be an almost guaranteed 1-1 overtime event.

Beau definitely out wrestled him and had two at least once. But I do not agree with him choosing neutral in that last period to give up the win on riding time. He also should have won on stall point, Van Brill ran backwards!
Pay attn ..VB did all the shooting so how did Beau outwrestle him and it was VB who chose neutral which if you knew anything about criteria you would know it’s the obvious choice .

Pay attn ..VB did all the shooting so how did Beau outwrestle him and it was VB who chose neutral which if you knew anything about criteria you would know it’s the obvious choice .
Beau outwrestled him because it only went to OT due to a highly questionable illegal hold point against him, because he was the one not being awarded a TD at the end of regulation when it was very close, because he was the one not being awarded a TD at the end of the first SV when it was very close, because he was the one not being awarded danger points in the first SV when Angel even counted it off, and because he wasn’t the one that ran away for 30 secs in the 12th minute on a stupid rule change that everyone hates. MVB might have won the match but Beau definitely outwrestled him. It happens.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul and Petch
Hey guys forgive me while I catch up.
It was bizarre that Beau didn't take the two at the end of the first SV instead of trying to pin him. Mind you VanBrill was on his back for along time and it should have been called but Beau could have just taken the two.
I wish there was a camera on the PSU corner during this sequence. Every coach and several of our wrestlers were screaming and gesturing at Beau to just spin behind. He wised up too late once MVB got both paws to a leg.
Let’s just call this one of those “training through” matches so we can sleep tonight lol
It may be cheddar-grin worthy, but I really think this was “that dual”. Most of our guys had lower than average energy. RBY barely moved his feet. Drew, Beau, Tony, Max all seemed a bit drained.
that’s not new. you could always do that.
What’s different this year is that RT decides it after 2 rounds, right?

Brooks is looking as good as he ever has IMO. His constant pressure and gas tank must be incredibly deflating.
ESPN pbp guy had the quote of the night when he likened wrestling Brooks to wrestling a Garbage Compactor (from the inside). The pressure comes from all directions at once, and it only gets worse from there.
I'm glad he does.

At CHA, B10s, and NCAAs, you have to beat the opponent AND the ref.

Rivera gives our guys live practice.
Don’t the home coaches get to pick their refs? This might actually be the strategy. Tryna teach our young team to take things out of the refs hands?

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Hey guys forgive me while I catch up.

I wish there was a camera on the PSU corner during this sequence. Every coach and several of our wrestlers were screaming and gesturing at Beau to just spin behind. He wised up too late once MVB got both paws to a leg.

It may be cheddar-grin worthy, but I really think this was “that dual”. Most of our guys had lower than average energy. RBY barely moved his feet. Drew, Beau, Tony, Max all seemed a bit drained.

What’s different this year is that RT decides it after 2 rounds, right?

ESPN pbp guy had the quote of the night when he likened wrestling Brooks to wrestling a Garbage Compactor (from the inside). The pressure comes from all directions at once, and it only gets worse from there.

Don’t the home coaches get to pick their refs? This might actually be the strategy. Tryna teach our young team to take things out of the refs hands?
no, that's not new. that's been the case as long as i can remember. for example, go check out the 2011 141 NCAA bracket. Kellen Russell won both is quarter and semi "3-3" on riding time in tiebreaks.

just rewatched the bartlett match. angel got things right.

as dumb a rule as it is, bartlett did leave both feet simultaneously to hit that cut back. the problem is with the dumb rule, not angel. he's not supposed to ignore them because they're dumb. cael didn't argue it. i think that says a lot.

and it definitely wasn't 2 in OT and actually wasn't nearly as close as i remember. van brill always had a leg. he tried to pass twice and got stopped, but immediately turned back out of danger zone criteria both times. was never close to a 3 count. angel also never signaled 2 at any point. that was on the scoreboard people.

to me, the biggest issue was bartlett wasted a masterful far ankle exchange by not continuing to wrestle when van brill was bellied out and only had on hand on the leg. bartlett needs to be peeling that hand and working behind.

angel has actually been one of the better officials all year. that's not a good thing unfortunately.

It is also true if Berge can Beat Edsell, we are also stronger as a team going in to postseason. I am not sweating where Berge wrestles. We are just better with him. He looked good on Sunday. Attacked often and was extremely quick on his counters.

My thot exactly … what is the difference between awarding a stalling call (point) for a wrestler backing off the mat boundary line to avoid wrestling and a wrestler taking 5 steps straight backwards (although in bounds) to avoid wrestling? And why o why are we subjected to Angel Rivera so many matches … guy is always in the middle of so many controversial calls … the VAST majority of which go against Penn State.

There is no difference. That is why there is a penalty point in Freestyle for "Fleeing" as well as "Fleeing the hold" (i.e., if you break a tie and run backwards away from other wrestler to create separation.).

Unfortunately, you were doing fine until you said this...

"angel has actually been one of the better officials all year"

Beau does bear some responsibility for not wrestling through at a point or two. Angel didn't have the nads to call stalling in the final period when, without a doubt, what MVB did was the very definition of stalling. Angel also has blown several calls this season. He is actually one of the worst out there and I don't think it's only Penn State fans who believe this.

It's very rare someone wins without scoring an offensive point. Good job by MVB

This could begin one of our typical longstanding board jokes. Yesterday, after Dean beat Bulsak, this happened...

RUCrackers

Sophomore​

You know given the family pedigree of Dean, against Buldak's, I think Bulaak is the better wrestler. Max's father Dave, has given both his boys every advantage to be great wrestlers. On the opposite end you got Bulsak who doesn't come from that lineage. There's something to be said about that.

Beau does bear some responsibility for not wrestling through at a point or two. Angel didn't have the nads to call stalling in the final period when, without a doubt, what MVB did was the very definition of stalling. Angel also has blown several calls this season. He is actually one of the worst out there and I don't think it's only Penn State fans who believe this.
If you read the entire post, it was clear that @js8793 called Rivera one of the tallest midgets, not objectively tall.

Reactions: nitlion6
Uh, I believe Beau was the one who scored the only offensive TD or any TD for that matter. If Angel was competent, Beau scored two more TDs that I remember as well (end of regulation and end of SV).

giphy.gif

This could begin one of our typical longstanding board jokes. Yesterday, after Dean beat Bulsak, this happened...

RUCrackers

Sophomore​

You know given the family pedigree of Dean, against Buldak's, I think Bulaak is the better wrestler. Max's father Dave, has given both his boys every advantage to be great wrestlers. On the opposite end you got Bulsak who doesn't come from that lineage. There's something to be said about that.
I spit out my coffee this morning reading his take. Then to make it more fun he spells Bulsak's name 3 different ways in the same post

Reactions: danoftw and tikk10
no, that's not new. that's been the case as long as i can remember. for example, go check out the 2011 141 NCAA bracket. Kellen Russell won both is quarter and semi "3-3" on riding time in tiebreaks.
My bad, the other difference this year is that riding time criteria after the first tiebreakers would have determined the winner and negated the second round of sudden victory & tiebreakers. So Van Brill could’ve chosen neutral in TB1 and also have won (assuming no takedowns).

My bad, the other difference this year is that riding time criteria after the first tiebreakers would have determined the winner and negated the second round of sudden victory & tiebreakers. So Van Brill could’ve chosen neutral in TB1 and also have won (assuming no takedowns).
My bad too. Thx for the explanation and correction (everyone).

ALL of the responsibility. Ref blaming is for losers.

My opinion on Bartlett - Van Brill is:

1) BB left the points on the board, not Rivera
2) You wrestle a bunch of 1 point and OT matches you're going to lose some - I don't care who you are. If AB is in an OT match with Pozanski for some reason (they shorten regulation to 2 minutes, ha), he's going to drop one or two out of 10. BB is good in these situations but it is not realistic to expect him to win more than 5 to 7 out of 10 at the most.
3) Yes, the double OT can be gamed. But does it really make a difference about the win yesterday? It's not making him a better wrestler at 149 if he wins, you still have to deal with #1 and #2 which are the rules rather than the exceptions at this point.
4) This is the 2nd time this year, I believe, that he's given up a penalty point or technical violation which has had a direct influence on the outcome. When you look at #2 above, you can't afford to do this.

As fans, we tend to look at the exceptions rather than the norms when it suits us, and the norms rather than the exceptions when it suits us as well. In reality, it's almost always the latter. Meaning Hildebrandt is going to be in a bunch of close matches until the end of the regular season and through the tourneys no matter how much time he spends in the PSU room, 157 is probably not going to qualify from the wrestlers we have now, Berge likely is going to qualify at whatever weight he ends up at as long as he doesn't get injured, etc. BB is going to qualify and I think it is unlikely that he can AA and score many points unless he falls into the right seed. At this point I don't think around 12 to 20 is going to be a good spot for him, I think he would be better served being lower than 20 if he can't get himself up to around 11 (which will be very difficult for him at this point).

Beau outwrestled him because it only went to OT due to a highly questionable illegal hold point against him, because he was the one not being awarded a TD at the end of regulation when it was very close, because he was the one not being awarded a TD at the end of the first SV when it was very close, because he was the one not being awarded danger points in the first SV when Angel even counted it off, and because he wasn’t the one that ran away for 30 secs in the 12th minute on a stupid rule change that everyone hates. MVB might have won the match but Beau definitely outwrestled him. It happens.

Again, Bartlett already had the TD - he had VB flat on his back and he was chest-to-chest with him - and VB did not have his leg. That is a TD by rule - match was over at that point. VB did not get a hold of Beau's leg until after he had managed to roll back over onto his stomach, but again, it doesn't matter at that point, he was already takedown once he is on his back and Bartlett is chest-to-chest to him. Complete bullshit how Rivera called the end of SV1.

I think all the hand-wringing over the way an official calls a match is more understandable if the stakes are high. I don’t believe the stakes were high in Bartlett’s match yesterday.

Rather, I think the real issue is that many have certain expectations for Bartlett’s point potential at Nationals. If an official’s calls are truly going to be the difference in matches against R12-R16 types, then the real issue here might be fans’ expectations.

There is still time to refine an approach and clean some things up before B1Gs. In the meantime, we should probably relax a bit and acknowledge there is significant work to do to solidify a spot in the AA tier many are hoping for (or expecting). At this point in the process, the official is irrelevant to the task at hand.

RUCrackers

Sophomore​

You would think 6 years in college wrestling would mitigate any advantage Dean might have had 12 years ago.

I think all the hand-wringing over the way an official calls a match is more understandable if the stakes are high. I don’t believe the stakes were high in Bartlett’s match yesterday.

Rather, I think the real issue is that many have certain expectations for Bartlett’s point potential at Nationals. If an official’s calls are truly going to be the difference in matches against R12-R16 types, then the real issue here might be fans’ expectations.

There is still time to refine an approach and clean some things up before B1Gs. In the meantime, we should probably relax a bit and acknowledge there is significant work to do to solidify a spot in the AA tier many are hoping for (or expecting). At this point in the process, the official is irrelevant to the task at hand.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Just one but. Angel Rivera still sucks!

ADVERTISEMENT