Russian Interference........

Steve G

May 29, 2001

This allegation included a number of specific examples, including one alleging that during a July 8, 2020 meeting, the Acting DHS Secretary told the Acting USIA an intelligence product should be “‘held’ because it ‘made the President look bad.’”

(wait for it)

We found that DHS did not adequately follow its internal processes and comply with applicable IC policy standards and requirements when editing and disseminating an I&A intelligence product regarding Russian interference with the 2020 U.S. Presidential election

For example, I&A employees during the review and clearance process changed the product’s scope by making changes that appear to be based in part on political considerations,

Additionally, the Acting Secretary participated in the review process multiple times despite lacking any formal role in reviewing the product, resulting in the delay of its dissemination on at least one occasion. In one of these instances, the Acting Secretary asked for the product to be “held” from its pending release on HSIN during a July 8, 2020 meeting. We determined that the Acting Secretary’s involvement led to the rare occurrence of I&A ceasing dissemination of a product after it had already been approved by the mission manager and circulated via advanced notification.

This conclusion is supported by I&A’s own tradecraft assessment, which determined that the product might be viewed as politicized.

We interviewed the Acting USIA, who told us the Acting Secretary asked the product be held because it made President Trump look bad and hurt President Trump’s campaign — the concept that Russia was denigrating candidate Biden would be used against President Trump. The Acting USIA also told us he took contemporaneous notes of the meeting, a copy of which we obtained. The notes, depicted in Figure 4, read “AS1 – will hurt POTUS – kill it per his authorities.” The Acting USIA told us these notes meant that the Acting Secretary told him to hold the product because it would hurt President Trump; he also believed the Acting Secretary was referring to authorities possessed by the DHS Secretary.

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state

This allegation included a number of specific examples, including one alleging that during a July 8, 2020 meeting, the Acting DHS Secretary told the Acting USIA an intelligence product should be “‘held’ because it ‘made the President look bad.’”

(wait for it)

We found that DHS did not adequately follow its internal processes and comply with applicable IC policy standards and requirements when editing and disseminating an I&A intelligence product regarding Russian interference with the 2020 U.S. Presidential election

For example, I&A employees during the review and clearance process changed the product’s scope by making changes that appear to be based in part on political considerations,

Additionally, the Acting Secretary participated in the review process multiple times despite lacking any formal role in reviewing the product, resulting in the delay of its dissemination on at least one occasion. In one of these instances, the Acting Secretary asked for the product to be “held” from its pending release on HSIN during a July 8, 2020 meeting. We determined that the Acting Secretary’s involvement led to the rare occurrence of I&A ceasing dissemination of a product after it had already been approved by the mission manager and circulated via advanced notification.

This conclusion is supported by I&A’s own tradecraft assessment, which determined that the product might be viewed as politicized.

We interviewed the Acting USIA, who told us the Acting Secretary asked the product be held because it made President Trump look bad and hurt President Trump’s campaign — the concept that Russia was denigrating candidate Biden would be used against President Trump. The Acting USIA also told us he took contemporaneous notes of the meeting, a copy of which we obtained. The notes, depicted in Figure 4, read “AS1 – will hurt POTUS – kill it per his authorities.” The Acting USIA told us these notes meant that the Acting Secretary told him to hold the product because it would hurt President Trump; he also believed the Acting Secretary was referring to authorities possessed by the DHS Secretary.
Like the world needed help to see that Magoo is a corrupt politician with serious dementia.