ADVERTISEMENT

Running Game

tototootsi

Aug 2, 2003
How can a running back like Barkley be shut down +- 50 yards for two games? Is anyone else worried about that against Michigan? Our O line is supposed to be better?

How can a running back like Barkley be shut down +- 50 yards for two games? Is anyone else worried about that against Michigan? Our O line is supposed to be better?
Maybe it's sorta like the first few games of '82 when the great Curt Warner was used mostly as a decoy and had similarly pedestrian stats. Then we played Nebraska and he burst out like a tiger breaking out of his cage the rest of the year.

#26 is a special talent (like #25 was) and Michigan may contain him tomorrow. Or they may not. If they do I will be duly impressed.

Reactions: BBrown
Yes, but only from a coaching point. Nobody holds The Great One if he can make it past the line of scrimmage. Getting him there is the coach's imperative. Maybe it is a dump pass just beyond line or some wrinkles in our scheme. Moorhead knows. I don't. I just watch and enjoy.

What? we don't have a dominant run game, resulting from an o line that still isn't ready for prime time? That is heresy! Don't you know that they have been saving plays... duh!

OL is below average and opposing defenses keying 100% on Barkley. Simple as that. People thought the OL would be much better but reality is they are still very young overall.
Michigan has one of the top defenses in country, of course there is worry.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Has the staff been saving plays? I think it is more realistic to think that they needed a bye week to implement corrections to counter some of the defensive schemes that have clearly been successful in taking a consistent running game away. Perhaps an adjustment with a tight end alignment, more predetermined running plays that would result in D players normally optioned being blocked by assignment. Any adjustment that would reduce the number of unblocked defenders jumping of Barkley as he gets the hand off.

The two games where PSU outscored it’s opponents 76 to 21? Does Michigan want to shutdown Barkley and lose by 25?

most people expected the group to be a lot better. the entire unit spent time starting last year. (years in program)
Wright (4)
Nelson (5)
Mahon (4)
McGovern (2)
Gonzo (3)
Bates (3)
Fries is new backup (2)

run game will be key both ways. we have top TE and WRs who UM cannot cover without cheating (holding). should be able to move the line to get some running. QB runs are key for PSU as well as the TE taking Bush out of the play.

if we have bunch of 3 and outs and negative yard plays it will be very hard to win this game.

most people expected the group to be a lot better. the entire unit spent time starting last year. (years in program)

I'm pretty critical of the O line performance, from a results standpoint, but some of these veterans have been fighting some prolonged injuries. I wouldn't throw these players under any bus, but It's CJF and Limegrovers job to get an effective O line on the field each week. Maybe we need more depth on the o line to account for guys who don't pan out? It seems that the rate of underperforming is greater at O line than any other position group

Do we have any screen passes in the playbook to offset the aggressive plays of defenses?

BTW - Michigan's defensive ranking is the result of playing offenses ranked 44, 78, 81, 93, 105, and 115 with Air Force being the highest ranked offense they played.

Wright (4)
Nelson (5)
Mahon (4)
McGovern (2)
Gonzo (3)
Bates (3)
Fries is new backup (2)

run game will be key both ways. we have top TE and WRs who UM cannot cover without cheating (holding). should be able to move the line to get some running. QB runs are key for PSU as well as the TE taking Bush out of the play.

if we have bunch of 3 and outs and negative yard plays it will be very hard to win this game.
It's fair to say that the OL is the biggest disappointment so far this season. People were expecting Barkley to run for 2,000 yards and that we wouldn't have to rely on so many long passes. It sure hasn't turned out that way.

I'm not expecting a sudden improvement this week. The players are the same and we still won't see a snap under center much less a fullback. IMO he best we can hope for is to spread out receivers (incl Barkley & Gesicki) in an attempt to stop Bush from lugging the holes between the tackles.

I see no way that PSU can win a smash mouth game against Bush, Gary, Hurst, etc. Not even close. PSU has to make those guys move laterally.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Do we have any screen passes in the playbook to offset the aggressive plays of defenses?

BTW - Michigan's defensive ranking is the result of playing offenses ranked 44, 78, 81, 93, 105, and 115 with Air Force being the highest ranked offense they played.
Where do our opponents stand relative to offensive ranking?

If a defense is willing to commit 7 or8 to stop the run--rushing yards will look bad--the price of doing that has been shown to be 300+ passing yards and 40+ points per game--- sounds good to me

whats the difference if he has 130 yards rushing or 50 rushing and 80 receiving? It's all in how you attack teh other team and make adjustments from what they are doing

Michigan’s aggressive defensive strategy could lead to some chunk plays on read options or plays to get Barkley on the edges. I would doubt that slow developing run plays will do that well since their D line is excellent at penetrating. Im not sure Mich has anyone who can cover Geseiki

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT