ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor on TheMat of a big pick up for Cael (Kerkvliet speculation)

Looking for a rules interpretation here: without getting into the minutiae of Olympic Shirt eligibility criteria -- if Kerk can take an Olympic shirt right out of HS, then does that preclude him from grayshirting?

If he can do both, then there's potentially only 1 year of overlap with Snacks (2023).

I was going to guess Kyle Dake committing to 74 kg for 2020 and joining his buddy DT at the NLWC.

Yours makes a lot more sense, but mine is more reckless.
Look, I'll root for the dude since he's on Team USA. But having him in the same room as our guys is a bridge too far.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Kirkvliet is an elite recruit. In a really good group of heavyweights going into college Kirk might be the only one that can challenge Gable. As someone mentioned he has a big frame and should fill out and be a full sized hwt. As good as Cass looked at Fargo Gable teched him a couple months ago at junior world team trials. Kirk bumped up to face Gable this year in folk and lost 2-1.

I could see him narrowing it down to PSU and tOSU. Getting to train with Snyder will be hard to pass up for someone with hwt world team hopes. For PSU he has a Minnesota connection with Hall and is on the world team with AB, also Cael and Varner aren’t bad coaches to learn from. I don’t see OK State or Nebraska having the upper weight training partners.

Kirkvliet is an elite recruit. In a really good group of heavyweights going into college Kirk might be the only one that can challenge Gable. As someone mentioned he has a big frame and should fill out and be a full sized hwt. As good as Cass looked at Fargo Gable teched him a couple months ago at junior world team trials. Kirk bumped up to face Gable this year in folk and lost 2-1.

I could see him narrowing it down to PSU and tOSU. Getting to train with Snyder will be hard to pass up for someone with hwt world team hopes. For PSU he has a Minnesota connection with Hall and is on the world team with AB, also Cael and Varner aren’t bad coaches to learn from. I don’t see OK State or Nebraska having the upper weight training partners.

From Penn State's roster, Kirkvliet would have a Minnesota connection with Mark Hall and Brady Berge.

Berge's and Kirkvliet's high schools are about 60 miles apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
From what I've seen of Kirkvliet, I'd say he's pretty close to a lock for 4x high AA, barring injury. Plus, he's a total points machine--at least in free. I am/remain excited to see what Seth can do--but I'd have trouble making the same assertion on him.

Since Kirkvliet wrestled up to face Gable.....it is obvious he fears no one and seeks the best competition...….which means that the BIG 10 is the obvious choice. With one less year of overlap and Snyder as a training partner...….I would make Ohio State the early favorite...…..Dammit

Reactions: Unlimited424
tOSU was recruiting him after he switched commitments to Okie State.

That being said, lol if he ends up at PSU. From every thing I've seen and heard, he's a fantastic person and athlete. I've never heard anybody say anything bad about him, and I've usually heard the dirty laundry on MN guys.

Reactions: Afw6006
So, just connecting dots. One Nevills already left, AJ. Now Cassar is possibly moving up to 285 and challenging/replacing Nick. Seth could possibly lose a year of starting to Cassar. Perhaps the Nevills fam is not happy with all of these moves, and Seth decides to go elsewhere. Cassar holding down 285 for the next two seasons perfectly lines up with a Red Shirt Year for Kerkvliet. Just seems to make a lot of sense.

So, just connecting dots. One Nevills already left, AJ. Now Cassar is possibly moving up to 285 and challenging/replacing Nick. Seth could possibly lose a year of starting to Cassar. Perhaps the Nevills fam is not happy with all of these moves, and Seth decides to go elsewhere. Cassar holding down 285 for the next two seasons perfectly lines up with a Red Shirt Year for Kerkvliet. Just seems to make a lot of sense.

It certainly has crossed my mind that if Nick is hurt and done wrestling.....will he and family decide to head back west and will Seth follow along. Nick has been doing things with team members this summer so I was assuming he would at least finish his education at PSU. There has been so little info coming from State College but Flo seems to think there is a question about whether Nick will wrestle at all this year. If he is not wrestling in the room with his brother...….it wouldn't be a total stunner if they both decided to head west. I am hoping for good health for all and the rest will work itself out. No matter what.....PSU will be sending out a high quality heavyweight on the mat.

For all the 285 talent coming in from the 2017-2019 classes, Kerk seems to be the consensus #2 overall right behind Steveson. Like you said, possibly the only guy out of the group that could surpass Gable in college.

Class of 2017: #10 Singeltary(tOSU)

Class of 2018: #1 Gable(Minn), #3 Parris(UofM), #14 Cass(Iowa), #22 Nevills(PSU)

Class of 2019: #1 Kerkvliet, #2 Schultz(ASU)

Last edited:
If I were Kirk, is look hard at TOSU . Who better to learn from than a world level light hwt

If I were Kirk, is look hard at TOSU . Who better to learn from than a world level light hwt
That said - he’d have to compete against him as well since Snyder is wrestling for a few more cycles. Little ole Penn State has a world level heavy as well, but not a direct competitor. Plus, we don’t have any of that Positive Infinity malarkey force fed to guys

Just a whole bunch of circumstantial evidence pointing in this direction. Certainly seems reasonable for all parties if Nick is done. He goes home, Seth stays closer to his family nearer the west coast, Cassar mans 285 for the next 2 years and Kerkvliets timeline dovetails perfectly.

If it comes to pass the entertainment value of the implosion of the HR, the rancorous condemnation of Caels actions there and elsewhere, and the scathing and futile rebuttals by some PSU defenders will be high.

Just a whole bunch of circumstantial evidence pointing in this direction. Certainly seems reasonable for all parties if Nick is done. He goes home, Seth stays closer to his family nearer the west coast, Cassar mans 285 for the next 2 years and Kerkvliets timeline dovetails perfectly.

If it comes to pass the entertainment value of the implosion of the HR, the rancorous condemnation of Caels actions there and elsewhere, and the scathing and futile rebuttals by some PSU defenders will be high.
That kind of breathy prose just gave Lemonpie the Vapors. He needs to go lie down on the veranda and compose himself

buttonless.jpg

It's already started on HR - just the idea of this is enough to trigger some of the more vocal Sanderson haters. And the open bitterness about an event that hasn't yet happened (and may not happen) is rich.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/kerkvliet-reopens-recruiting.237659/

Reactions: Grass
Downey would deck his fool ass.
Glad to see El Jefe doing his part to check Downey's long, slow fade into oblivion. Not looking forward to the time when Downey is brought up less often on message boards than LiMarty.

#funwhileitlasted

Reactions: burnsie1983

Great, and spot on post.
There seems to be some serious PSU smoke, and as noted by others there are some heads popping on another unnamed message board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT