ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor: Allar to start this Saturday...

What other boards? I don't see anything on the ON3 or 247 boards.
I saw it on the lions pride and on audibles but in a different thread title, personally I'm not in favor of it as I'm a Clifford fan as well as an Allar fan and Cliff is our guy this year.

Beginning of the end of a beautiful relationships with fanboys, if true. All you have to do is play in order to reveal that perfection is only on Madden.

From Google

MCL Tear or Sprain Nonsurgical Recovery Time​

It can take anywhere from a few days to 8 weeks for an MCL injury to heal and a person to return to normal activities and sports. Generally, the timeline is determined by the severity of the injury, although this is not true for every person.

• Grade I (sprain or overstretched) tears will typically heal within a few days to a week and a half
  • Grade II (partial or incomplete) tears may take 2 to 4 weeks to heal
  • Grade III (full) tears can take 4 to 8 weeks to heal

Reactions: NedFromYork
From Google

It can take anywhere from a few days to 8 weeks for an MCL injury to heal and a person to return to normal activities and sports. Generally, the timeline is determined by the severity of the injury, although this is not true for every person.

• Grade I (sprain or overstretched) tears will typically heal within a few days to a week and a half
If it is true, just have to hope Cliff is back - and fully recovered - by Oct. 15 for Michigan

From Google

The RUMOR is he's out, but should be ready in 2.5 weeks for Michigan

Reactions: NedFromYork
It won't snow in Miami, but Allar could very well start vs Northwestern
Northwestern is one thing (they SUCK). Having to start against Michigan - as a true frosh - is a whole different issue. Just hope it's BS or if true, Clifford heals up quickly

Northwestern is one thing (they SUCK). Having to start against Michigan - as a true frosh - is a whole different issue. Just hope it's BS or if true, Clifford heals up quickly
I wonder if Clifford ends up being a no go against Michigan that the staff opts to start Veilleux who probably has a better command of the playbook?

Reactions: tlbakernc
I wonder if Clifford ends up being a no go against Michigan that the staff opts to start Veilleux who probably has a better command of the playbook?
That would have been a great reason to name Veilleux the backup this season. But at this point I'll be very surprised if Franklin backs down from Allar as the true #2 QB who plays whenever Clifford becomes unavailable.

So let's throw a little water on this rumor, shall we. Franklin didn't say Clifford is out this week and said he's hopeful he can get Allar into the game against Northwestern at his press conference.

From the presser thread: Franklin would love to get Allar and others playing time this week but the coaching staff hasn’t talked about plans or strategy yet for this week.

Reactions: therod
So let's throw a little water on this rumor, shall we. Franklin didn't say Clifford is out this week and said he's hopeful he can get Allar into the game against Northwestern at his press conference.

From the presser thread: Franklin would love to get Allar and others playing time this week but the coaching staff hasn’t talked about plans or strategy yet for this week.

Unless he had a season ending injury, Franklin won't tell us anything about Clifford regardless.

Reactions: marshall23
Unless he had a season ending injury, Franklin won't tell us anything about Clifford regardless.
Ha, ha. He has talked multiple times about Clifford's injuries, including missing time due to non-injuries, such as being dehydrated.

That would have been a great reason to name Veilleux the backup this season. But at this point I'll be very surprised if Franklin backs down from Allar as the true #2 QB who plays whenever Clifford becomes unavailable.
You can't go against a team like Michigan with playbook limitations and that would be the case with Allar as the starter.

Reactions: tlbakernc
You can't go against a team like Michigan with playbook limitations and that would be the case with Allar as the starter.
Actually that's incorrect. Allar, unlike Roberson, has played meaningful football on 4 games and had the entire playback at his disposal...Franklin learned a great deal from Iowa last year. This is actually a positive for Penn State this season.

Actually that's incorrect. Allar, unlike Roberson, has played meaningful football on 4 games and had the entire playback at his disposal...Franklin learned a great deal from Iowa last year. This is actually a positive for Penn State this season.
He’ll be fine

Reactions: Parkerdam555
The playbook is one thing, but the operation is another. Can Allar get his freshmen RB's in place, and recognize who is coming or not on a blitz and get the OL alert, etc. Cliff has seen it all, Allar has hardly seen anything. Not sure it's a positive for PSU, but what is a positive that if this rumor is true, Allar getting his initial start vs NW instead of Michigan is big.

Last edited:
In watching the games and listening to the coaches and players through the early part of the season, I've had this odd feeling that the plan was for Allar to take over during the season. I did not believe this and have great doubts that it is the right thing to do. Of course, it could merely be the coaches effort of avoidance of what happened last season. Or, it could be from my fear of a repeat of what happened last season.

Clifford is far from a bad QB. Allar has looked good and seems to know the playbook he is working with which could be limited compared to what Clifford is doing. We don't really know that. If Allar starts Saturday and plays really well, it will be difficult to not start him against Michigan, especially if Clifford is not 100%. I hope that Clifford starts Saturday and we don't create a QB controversy. Nothing is worse than that.

I guess I would question if he has the entire playbook @ his disposal. I doubt he knows how to set all the protections and recognize blitzes and know all the hot reads. Not doubting his ability, just doubting he has grasped all the offense.

I guess I would question if he has the entire playbook @ his disposal. I doubt he knows how to set all the protections and recognize blitzes and know all the hot reads. Not doubting his ability, just doubting he has grasped all the offense.
I'll agree with you here. We are riding with Cliff, but I don't believe an injury necessarily costs us a game this year. Last year that injury cost us really 2 games.

Can’t remember the last time Clifford finished the season without missing some serious time. I didn’t see anything that would lead me to believe he’s injured against Central Michigan. Is it a practice injury?

Clifford will give you 2 or 3 quarters of good football. But that damn bad 2/3 quarters that keep him keep him and the team from being really good. I’d rather not send a true freshman into a hostile environment like Michigan with shaky OL, receiver droppsies, and RB that aren’t ready to pass protect. Like any QB, Allar needs time to develop. Michigan, Minnesota, and OSU will throw some things at Allar that he will not be ready for. I love how they’re handling his development. Hope he’s not thrown to the wolves…

The playbook is one thing, but the operation is another. Can Allar get his freshmen RB's in place, and recognize who is coming or not on a blitz and get the OL alert, etc. Cliff has seen it all, Allar has hardly seen anything. Not sure it's a positive for PSU, but what is a positive that if this rumor is true, Allar getting his initial start vs NW instead of Michigan is big.
That explains why no freshman QB has ever been successful

• Haha
Reactions: lions1995
How in the shit do you know he has a better grip on the playbook????
Probably a good guess considering he has been in the offense one additional year, however, if Allar is number 2, and Clifford is indeed unable to go, Allar will most likely start, depending on how he does vs Northwestern.

Supposed MCL sprain, (RUMORS)!!
Just curious -- when is this supposed MCL sprain alleged to have occurred? During the CMU game? If so, it certainly wasn't serious as he wasn't limping and didn't come out of the game prematurely. During practice? Always a possibility, I guess.

Just a rumor at this point but gaining steam on the other boards. Lots of smoke though...
This is so dumb. He wasn't injured in the game saturday. They do nothing live on Sunday but walk throughs and they don't practice on Monday. You posted this prior to Tuesday's practice. Where and how was he injured? Don't post bogus claims.

Reactions: blair10 and PSU2UNC
ADVERTISEMENT