ADVERTISEMENT

Roar's Big Ten Wrestling Championship Pre-seeds Write-up

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
It’s that time of year. Just after the final B1G Conference bouts of the year, yet prior to the conference coaches voting for their version of the pre-seeds. Their votes will be tabulated, compiled, and should be released Monday, February 26th.

Guidelines are; body-of-work, 2017-18 only, and just bouts between conference foes. HTH is HUGE, and in my analysis includes tournament bouts too, but often as tie-breakers unless it’s HTH, a bad loss or a great win. A wrestler’s record is one consideration, though with 9 conference duals, and 14 teams, it’s possible to catch all or most of the top guys, or miss all or most of the top guys, so the records are often misleading. WHO one wrestles and beats or loses to should be considered. I am adding that disclaimer, as it is my observation that records occasionally trump all when pre-seedings are announced, and it should not, imo.

So read away, ENJOY if you can (it’s intended to spark discussion, not anxiety), correct any mistakes, or beat me up if you must…I’ll try to do 2-4 weight classes per day. Each weight class may be pre-seeded more than 8, but all will be at least 8. My pre-seeds are listed at the end of each weight class write-up, with the team in parenthesis, and the DUAL MEET record of each wrestler.

Starting out with a tough call, as both Lee (Iowa) and Suriano (Rut) are undefeated in-conference at 6-0, and obviously did not face each other. Lee has the better win, vs Tomasello (tOSU), though Suriano did all he could by winning against the guys he faced. Similar resumes too, as both had bonus point wins against every opponent except Rivera (NU), and Tomasello for Lee, even when facing conference foes in tournaments. I’m going #1 Suriano, but could live with Lee. Tomasello gets the 3rd seed from me, with his only loss to #2 Lee, and good wins vs Lizak (Minn, TF), Welch (Pur, Maj), and Mattin (MI, TF), as compared to my #4 Rivera, who’s best win was against Welch by Maj. Lizak split with Mattin, losing in the dual in SV, but winning by Maj at Cliff Keen. Welch beat Mattin 2x, but lost to Foley (MSU), as did Mattin. Unscrambling this, I’m going #5 Welch, on the strength of the 2 wins vs Mattin, Lizak #6 on the strength of a HTH split with Mattin, winning by Maj but losing in SV, then #7 is Mattin. Piotrowski (Ill) gets #8, with a HTH win over #9 Oliver (Ind), despite a bad loss to 4-12 Jiminez (Wis) in his last dual. Rounding out the top-10 is Foley, despite great wins vs Mattin and Welch, as he lost HTH vs Oliver, and Piotrowski, the 2 guys just in front of him. One last point…Suriano missed Rutgers last 4 duals, and there’s plenty of rumors floating around. I’m hopeful he’s healthy at B1G go-time.

#1 Suriano (Rut) 6-0
#2 Lee (Iowa) 6-0
#3 Tomasello (tOSU) 6-1
#4 Rivera (NU) 7-2
#5 Welch (Pur) 5-3
#6 Lizak (Minn) 4-3
#7 Mattin (UM) 5-4
#8 Piotrowski (Ill) 5-4
#9 Oliver (Ind) 5-3
#10 Foley (MSU) 5-4

Easier than 125 at the very top, where my #1 seed Micic (UM) owns a dominant victory HTH over #2 Pletcher (tOSU) in the dual, though Pletcher won 7-5 in an early season tournament. #3 McKee (Minn) also lost to Micic, but beat Delvecchio (Rut) HTH. Late-arriving Renteria (Neb) also owns a win vs #5 Delvecchio, and gets the #4 seed from me. Renteria’s body-of-work hurts the conference, as he only has 7 matches, and will not earn an NCAA allotment slot, so holding seed, he’ll steal one from a wrestler that did, at least until the at-large selections are made. Keener (PSU) gets the #6 seed, though it was close between him and #7 Thornton (Pur). Thornton has the better record, 6-2 vs 5-4, but lost HTH against Keener, and Keener had no bad losses, only losing to guys in front of him. Thornton also lost to Glynn (Iowa) at Midlands, cementing his seed behind Keener. Valdivez (NU) and Duncan (Ill) can go #8 and #9, or flip to #9 and #8 respectively. Valdivez had losses to Thornton and Glynn, and his win over Duncan are what caused both he and Duncan to fall to the #8/#9 slots, behind both Keener and Thornton. Duncan has the better overall record, 7-2 vs 4-5, but lost HTH against Valdivez in the dual, after beating him at Midlands. I’m going #8 Duncan, and #9 Valdivez, on the strength of a better record, and the 1-1 split HTH.

#1 Micic (UM) 9-0
#2 Pletcher (tOSU) 7-1
#3 McKee (Minn) 5-1
#4 Renteria (Neb) 5-1
#5 Delvecchio (Rut) 6-3
#6 Keener (PSU) 5-4
#7 Thornton (Pur) 6-2
#8 Duncan (Ill) 7-2
#9 Valdivez (NU) 4-5

#1 is easy, with McKenna (tOSU) earning the top spot over #2 Lee (PSU), with a HTH win, Lee’s only loss on the year in B1G action. McKenna did lose to Thorn (Minn), but the HTH win trumps that loss, even though Lee beat Thorn in the dual. The next couple slots are cloudy. Thorn beat McKenna, as noted, as well as Carr (Ill), but lost to Happel (Iowa), Lee, and Diehl (MD), which is a bad loss. Carr is tied for the 2nd best record, and beat Red (Neb), but didn’t have a tough schedule, losing to Thorn, but not wrestling McKenna or Lee. I’m going Carr at #3, with Thorn #4, as Thorn’s losses are worse than his good win against Carr. #5 and #6 are equally tough to seed, with Red and Limmex (Pur) in the mix. Both are 6-3 in-conference and have good wins and moderate to bad losses. Red gets #5 from me, even though he lost HTH against Limmex, due to his out-of-conference win against Thorn, while Limmex has out of conference losses against Yahya (NU), Weaver (Ind), and Stickley (Wis). Limmex also has wins against Weaver and Stickley IN CONFERENCE, so I’m ok with these two swapping spots. Next is #7 Weaver, with a great win over Red, and a HTH win over #8 Stickley. The next three after that are some combination of Gasca (MSU), Profaci (UM) and Diehl (MD), take your pick…with 9 allocated spots possible, this weight class could be seeded through 14.

#1 McKenna (tOSU) 8-1
#2 Lee (PSU) 7-1
#3 Carr (Ill) 7-1
#4 Thorn (Minn) 6-3
#5 Red (Neb) 6-3
#6 Limmex (Pur) 6-3
#7 Weaver (Ind) 4-5
#8 Stickley (Wis) 4-5

Retherford (PSU) easily gets #1, with an undefeated record, and wins over #2 Sorensen (Iowa) at the dual and #3 Deakin (NU) at the Keystone Classic. Sorensen earned #2 over Deakin by the smallest of margins with a headgear yank winning it for Sorensen in the dual. Should be a great semifinal, with the 5th year SR vs the RSFR. McCrystal (Neb) is #4, with a HTH win over #5 DeLuca (Rut). DeLuca gets the nod over #6 Hayes (tOSU), despite having a worse record, 4-4 vs 6-3, by virtue of a HTH victory over the Buckeye, and since all 4 of his losses are to the top-4 seeds. If this was boxing, though, I might move DeLuca all the way to #1. Despite the worse record (see below), I’m going with #7 Bannister (MD) over #8 Ma. Amine (UM), as Bannister owns a HTH out-of-conference win against the Wolverine, and his 3 losses are good losses, and Amine has no great wins. Bleise (Minn) is a wildcard at this weight, as his last dual was 1/21 due to injury. He will be Silver Standard, if he goes, and will earn the conference a slot, which will be taken away if he doesn’t go. He’s my #9, due to inactivity. Martin (Wis) is another guy that could slide into the top-8, at 4-4, though not a single decent win keeps him out of the mix, imo.

#1 Retherford (PSU) 9-0
#2 Sorensen (Iowa) 8-1
#3 Deakin (NU) 8-1
#4 McCrystal (Neb) 7-1
#5 DeLuca (Rut) 4-4
#6 Hayes (tOSU) 6-3
#7 Bannister (MD) 2-3
#8 Ma. Amine (UM) 5-3
#9 Bleise (Minn) 1-1 (if he goes)

Once the weight class write-ups are posted, a team race write-up will be posted too. Again, please enjoy...

Next two weight classes. Two or three more tomorrow...will wrap it up by Friday, with a team analysis.

The top-2 at this weight class separated themselves from the rest at 157. I’m going #1Kemerer (Iowa), and #2 Nolf (PSU), only because Nolf has an unfortunate INJDEF loss to Van Brill (Rut), and Kemerer went undefeated for the year. After that, there are 4 guys at 7-2, with their body-of-work as follows… M. Jordan (tOSU) lost to Pantaleo (UM) 2x (at the dual and at Cliff Keen) and Kemerer, but didn’t have a win against the other 7-2 guys. Pantaleo lost to Nolf and Crone (Wis), but had wins against M. Jordan, 2x, and Berger (Neb) 2x (dual and Cliff Keen). Berger has losses to Crone and Pantaleo, 2x, with no great wins. Crone has great wins vs Berger and Pantaleo, but also has losses to Van Brill and Parriott (Pur). Unscrambling the results, I’m going #3 Pantaleo, on the strength of his HTH wins over M. Jordan and Berger. #4 is M. Jordan, only losing to guys above him, and #5 is Berger. I was tempted to move Van Brill (4-4) ahead of 7-2 Crone, after Crone’s 2 late season dual losses, including to Van Brill, but he won an earlier HTH with Van Brill at Midlands, and Van Brill has 2 losses to guys behind him, Short (Minn) and Langenderfer (Ill). So it’s #6 Crone and #7 Van Brill. Short is my #8, with a HTH win vs #9 Langenderfer, despite a bad loss vs Tucker (MSU).

#1 Kemerer (Iowa) 8-0
#2 Nolf (PSU) 6-1
#3 Pantaleo (UM) 7-2
#4 M. Jordan (tOSU) 7-2
#5 Berger (Neb) 7-2
#6 Crone ( Wis) 7-2
#7 Van Brill (Rut) 4-4
#8 Short (Minn) 4-5
#9 Langenderfer (Ill) 5-4

In some corners, Marinelli (Iowa) is being touted as the top-seed at 165. Not by me. Awesome season by the young wrestler, though for me it’s easy, with #1 Martinez (Ill) and #2 Marinelli, who gets the #2 seed on the strength of a dual meet HTH win against Joseph (PSU). Joseph has a HTH win vs Lewis (Rut), and only the loss to Marinelli, so he gets the #3 seed. Lewis has a nice resume, with wins over Wick (Wis), Wanzek (Minn), and Campbell (tOSU), and losses to Joseph and Marinelli, for an easy choice at #4 seed. From here, it gets fun, with Wick, Wanzek, White (Neb) and Massa (UM) in the mix for 4th through 7th. Wick was 6-3, but his best wins were at tournaments, over Wanzek and Massa, both at Cliff keen, though he also lost to Massa at the MSU Open.. Wanzek has wins over Massa and Campbell, and the loss to Wick at Cliff Keen, while all his conference dual losses were to guys in front of him. White had a nice dual season, only losing to Massa and Lewis, but split with Campbell at Midland’s, and had the loss to Wanzek out-of-conference. Massa had an injury-shortened season, ending 3-3 in duals, with losses to Marinelli, Joseph, and Wanzek, but wins over White and Campbell, splitting with Wick in tournament action. I’m going #5 Wick, with HTH wins vs Wanzek and Massa, even though both were in tournaments. Wanzek is #6, with a HTH win over White at Daktronics. Massa is #7, with a HTH win over White, and White ends up #8. There’s a big gap after that, with Campbell, and Morrissey (Pur) fighting over #9 and #10. They didn’t wrestle, and the best win between the two, was a Campbell win over White. I’ll go #9 Campbell, and #10 Morrissey.

#1 Martinez (Ill) 9-0
#2 Marinelli (Iowa) 8-0
#3 Joseph (PSU) 8-1
#4 Lewis (Rut) 5-2
#5 Wick (Wis) 6-3
#6 Wanzek (Minn) 5-4
#7 Massa (UM) 3-3
#8 White (Neb) 6-2
#9 Campbell (tOSU) 1-6
#10 Morrissey (Pur) 4-5

@RoarLions1 I would like to thank you for including the schools these kids represent. The analysis is most appreciated.

Wait ....
Campbell is 1-6 in the Big Ten?

:eek:

Sure is tough to scrub all that Pitt off of you.....
The facts speak for themselves...

#4 Massa, Logan (13 - 4) Ohio State - Michigan Dual L DEC 7 - 2
#3 Joseph, Vincenzo (17 - 1) Ohio State - Penn State Dual L MD 12 - 3
#110 Hiles, Austin (11 - 19) Ohio State - Michigan State Dual L DQ 0 - 0
#2 Marinelli, Alex (14 - 0) Iowa - Ohio State Dual L DEC 4 - 1
#18 Wanzek, Nick (20 - 7) Minnesota - Ohio State Dual L DEC 8 - 5
#6 Lewis, Richie (14 - 3) Ohio State - Rutgers Dual L DEC 5 - 2
#95 Burnham, Brendan (11 - 16) Ohio State - Maryland Dual W DEC 7 - 2

Reactions: psufutbolman
Wait ....

He should be unseeded just on the basis of the Sparty stall-out DQ.

Same for nationals -- although there, with the random draw, I could be arm-twisted into him getting a 14-16 seed that locks him into facing Martinez in Round 2.

Reactions: diggerpup
Wait ....

IMHO there is more to it than that. He sure looks gassed in every match I've seen and Ryan takes every chance to get him a lunger timeout. Screams of someone cutting a LOT of weight.

I would very much like to see a McKenna vs Thorn semifinals at 141...
I was thinking the very same thing. Based on B1G records, Thorn could get #4, #5, #6 seed (all 6-3). I'm hoping for #4 or #5. Thorn seems to be a tough match-up for McKenna, having beaten him by MD earlier this year, and by fall in OT at last year's NCAA's. I would love to see McKenna get Thorn in semis--so no #6 seed for him!!!

I was thinking the very same thing. Based on B1G records, Thorn could get #4, #5, #6 seed (all 6-3). I'm hoping for #4 or #5. Thorn seems to be a tough match-up for McKenna, having beaten him by MD earlier this year, and by fall in OT at last year's NCAA's. I would love to see McKenna get Thorn in semis--so no #6 seed for him!!!
We'll know Monday, though I'm sticking with this;

#1 McKenna (tOSU) 8-1
#2 Lee (PSU) 7-1
#3 Carr (Ill) 7-1
#4 Thorn (Minn) 6-3
#5 Red (Neb) 6-3
#6 Limmex (Pur) 6-3
#7 Weaver (Ind) 4-5
#8 Stickley (Wis) 4-5

It's not just about the records, though 141 does play out that way. The 6-3 guys;

Thorn has the great win over McKenna, but a horrible loss to Diehl.
Red has a tournament win vs Thorn, but no other great wins, and losses to Weaver, Limmex, & Carr.
Limmex has the win over Red, no horrible losses in conference, but bad out of conference losses to Weaver, Yahya, and Stickley.

No way Thorn gets #6 by my thinking.

Reactions: Maddog and tomsc
"Both are 6-3 in-conference and have good wins and moderate to bad losses. Red gets #5 from me, even though he lost HTH against Limmex, due to his out-of-conference win against Thorn, while Limmex has out of conference losses against Yahya (NU), Weaver (Ind), and Stickley (Wis). Limmex also has wins against Weaver and Stickley IN CONFERENCE, so I’m ok with these two swapping spots."

This part of 141 got me a little confused, but I think I figured it out. Does the "in conference" and "out of conference" mean duals vs. tournaments?

"Both are 6-3 in-conference and have good wins and moderate to bad losses. Red gets #5 from me, even though he lost HTH against Limmex, due to his out-of-conference win against Thorn, while Limmex has out of conference losses against Yahya (NU), Weaver (Ind), and Stickley (Wis). Limmex also has wins against Weaver and Stickley IN CONFERENCE, so I’m ok with these two swapping spots."

This part of 141 got me a little confused, but I think I figured it out. Does the "in conference" and "out of conference" mean duals vs. tournaments?

For the most part.

"In conference" are matches in Big 10 duals.

"Out of conference" matches are mostly tournaments (all tournaments this year, I think). But in situations where two B1G schools schedule a dual independent of the conference schedule (the way PSU and Iowa did a few years ago), those matches would also be out of conference.

I think. :)

For the most part.

"In conference" are matches in Big 10 duals.

"Out of conference" matches are mostly tournaments (all tournaments this year, I think). But in situations where two B1G schools schedule a dual independent of the conference schedule (the way PSU and Iowa did a few years ago), those matches would also be out of conference.

I think. :)
You're both right...this is a ton of work, and I got tired of looking up the exact tournament in every case. Still managed to list most tournaments by name though sometimes I just said out-of-conference", and I might go back and change it...

Hope that helps.

Next two weight classes. Two or three more tomorrow...will wrap it up by Friday, with a team analysis.

#1 Kemerer (Iowa) 8-0
#2 Nolf (PSU) 6-1
#3 Pantaleo (UM) 7-2
#4 M. Jordan (tOSU) 7-2
#5 Berger (Neb) 7-2
#6 Crone ( Wis) 7-2
#7 Van Brill (Rut) 4-4
#8 Short (Minn) 4-5
#9 Langenderfer (Ill) 5-4

So Nolf vs. Van Brill in QFs. Not sure how I feel about that.

We'll know Monday, though I'm sticking with this;

#1 McKenna (tOSU) 8-1
#2 Lee (PSU) 7-1
#3 Carr (Ill) 7-1
#4 Thorn (Minn) 6-3
#5 Red (Neb) 6-3
#6 Limmex (Pur) 6-3
#7 Weaver (Ind) 4-5
#8 Stickley (Wis) 4-5

It's not just about the records, though 141 does play out that way. The 6-3 guys;

Thorn has the great win over McKenna, but a horrible loss to Diehl.
Red has a tournament win vs Thorn, but no other great wins, and losses to Weaver, Limmex, & Carr.
Limmex has the win over Red, no horrible losses in conference, but bad out of conference losses to Weaver, Yahya, and Stickley.

No way Thorn gets #6 by my thinking.
Can’t help but feel McKenna’s semi is tougher than Nick’s under this scenario.

No inside info here but I seriously doubt you see Nolf till NCAA's..

Well, we will definitely see him at BIGs, along we may not see him wrestle Sir Pish. I used to have inside info but spyker won't talk to me any more. :(

Reactions: pish69
Only two more weight classes to go, followed by an overall team review. May be wrapped up tomorrow evening. ENJOY!!

Hall (PSU) is the easy choice for #1 seed, going undefeated, and winning against my #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, and #7 seeds. Next up we have an “A beats B, B beats C, and C beats A’ scenario, as My. Amine (UM) has a win against B. Jordan (tOSU), who beat Lydy (Pur), who beat Amine, as I tried to figure out the next 3 seeds. Dig deeper, and it’s clearer. While Lydy had a great conference season, at 7-2, only losing to B. Jordan and Hall, he also lost to Hughes (MSU, injured and not the current starter) and Sebastian (NU), both at the MSU Open. He gets #4. Amine gets the nod for #2 seed, as he owns a HTH win over #3 B. Jordan. Sebastian is my #5, but could get the #4. He split with Lydy, losing at the dual, but winning earlier at the MSU Open. His only other loss against a B1G wrestler was vs Hall at the Keystone Classic, but that doesn’t hurt his seed at all. Again, no heartburn if the coaches see this differently, it’s that close. Besides, #4 gets #5, if seeds hold, in the quarters anyway, so they’ll likely settle it on the mat. #6 Skatzka (Ind) has no great wins, but no bad losses, easily #6 for me. #7 Gunther (Iowa) has a nice conference record, 5-1, but pretty much beat up the bottom tier of talent in the conference to earn that record, while only losing to Hall, though the loss to Pagano (Rut) at Midlands does keep him, in my mind, from any consideration for the #6 seed. #8 Christensen (Wis) has no great wins, but no bad losses, with all of them to guys seeded higher. Following him are Grello (Rut) and Pfarr (Minn), with Grello getting the higher seed based on a HTH win against Pfarr.

#1 Hall (PSU) 9-0
#2 Myles Amine (UM) 6-2
#3 B. Jordan (tOSU) 4-2
#4 Lydy (Pur) 7-2
#5 Sebastian (NU) 7-1
#6 Skatzka (Ind) 6-3
#7 Gunther (Iowa) 5-1
#8 Christensen (Wis) 5-4
#9 Grello (Rut) 3-5
#10 Pfarr (Minn) 3-6

Nickal (PSU) has HTH wins over Martin (tOSU) and Abounader (UM), and is the clear #1 seed. Martin has two wins over Abounader, one in a dual, the other at Cliff Keen, and is the easy #2 seed. Next up is a perfect example why the conference record should not and cannot be the only tool used for seeding. Abounader is 7-2 in conference duals, with losses to my top-2 seeds (Nickal & Martin). Parker (Ill) is 8-0, but did not wrestle Nickal, Martin or Abounader. If not for a loss to Robertson (Wis) at the Road Runner Open, Parker’s only overall loss this season, I would have a conundrum picking the #3 seed. As it is, that loss makes the choice easier, so it’s #3 Abounader and #4 Parker. Gravina (Rut) is my #5, with HTH wins over Venz (Neb) and Robertson, as his only dual meet loss was to Nickal. He also lost to Parker at Midlands, but that loss doesn’t hurt his seed. Next is #6 Venz, with a great freshman campaign, earning this seed with a HTH win over #7 Robertson. All of Venz’s and Robertson’s losses were to guys in front of them. Bowman (Iowa) gets the #8 seed, winning the HTH battle with #9 Sliga (NU) at the dual. This weight class was among the easiest to seed…so come on coaches, take notice, and don’t use just the record decide the seeds!!

#1 Nickal (PSU) 9-0
#2 Martin (tOSU) 8-1
#3 Abounader (UM) 7-2
#4 Parker (Ill) 8-0
#5 Gravina (Rut) 6-1
#6 Venz (Neb) 6-3
#7 Robertson (Wis) 5-4
#8 Bowman (Iowa) 3-6
#9 Sliga (NU) 3-6

Last edited:
Roar, I’m speechless. Don’t know where to begin other than to say thank you.... you are better than those guys on the non PSU subscription sites that just babble nonsense. You are balanced, objective and fair. Not even HR can throw you off your game. I bow to you my lord!

Roar, I’m speechless. Don’t know where to begin other than to say thank you.... you are better than those guys on the non PSU subscription sites that just babble nonsense. You are balanced, objective and fair. Not even HR can throw you off your game. I bow to you my lord!

Agree with you but you're going to make Roar's head swell up to where it explodes.

I can live with that..... as long as he finishes the last two weights.

I am sure he will, he would never let us down, even with a swelled head!

I also think he is too level headed to let it swell, just to keep the head comments going...

One final post, hopefully later tonight, re. a TEAM recap, using the seeds to determine an early guess at point-scoring.

Moore (tOSU) is my #1 seed, with an 8-1 conference dual meet record, and good wins over Beazley (UM), Ritter (Wis), and Wilcke (Iowa). His lone conference loss was to Cassar (PSU), though it appears right now like Rasheed (PSU) is going for the Nittany Lions. Rasheed is an easy pick for #2 seed, despite limited action (he’s 4-0 in conference duals), as he has HTH wins against both Beazley and Wilcke. Interesting fact – together, the PSU duo earned a 9-0 record in Big Ten duals.

Here’s where it gets messy. 197 is really screwy starting with the #3 seed, and more than makes up for the easy seeding at 184. I had Beazley #3, then looked down my list and saw Ritter (Wis) sitting there at 8-1, including a HTH win vs Beazley at the dual, though he lost to him at the MSU Open. I even considered moving Ritter to #2, but his loss to Brunner (Pur), his only dual meet loss, sealed his #3 for me. He also beat Schultz (Neb). After careful review, I see #4, #5 and #6 are between Beazley, Wilcke and Schultz. I’m going #4 Shultz, with a HTH win over Beazley, and #5 Beazley with a HTH win over #6 Wilcke. Wilcke has a 6-3 record in duals, better than Beazley’s 4-4, but the HTH loss to Beazley, and Beazley’s good wins over Schultz at Cliff Keen, and Ritter at the MSU Open sealed my seeding choice. Brunner (Pur) saw limited Big Ten action, with a 3-2 record in duals, but did beat Ritter, and gets my #7 seed. Chakonis (NU) slides in at #8, with a good win vs Brunner, but a loss to Krone (Minn) who jumped 2 weight classes from 12/30 to 1/28 to get to 197 didn’t help his cause for a higher seed.

#1 Moore (tOSU) 8-1
#2 Rasheed (PSU) 4-0
#3 Ritter (Wis) 8-1
#4 Schultz (Neb) 7-2
#5 Beazley (UM) 4-4
#6 Wilcke (Iowa) 6-3
#7 Brunner (Pur) 3-2
#8 Chakonis (NU) 5-2

Coon (UM) gets the #1 seed over #2 Snyder (tOSU), with an exciting HTH win over the Buckeye. Nevills (PSU) owns wins over my #4, #5, and #6 guys, and easily gets the #3 seed. #4 and #5 is a little tricky, with Stoll (Iowa) having a 5-2 conference record, only losing to Coon and Nevills, and Hemida (MD), at 8-1, but no great wins, and only a loss to Nevills. Hemida received a FFT at the Iowa dual, or I might have a data-point for seeding. As I don’t, my mind says go with the better record, despite my gut saying Stoll is the better wrestler, so it’s #4 Hemida, and #5 Stoll. That’s the way it goes, must make that close call, though #4 gets #5 in the quarters, so these two big men will settle it on the mat, assuming seeds hold. I also suspect the B1G will have it #4 Stoll and #5 Hemida (but of course, they’d be wrong, lol). Jennings (NU) gets my #6, as he owns a HTH win over #7 Streck (Pur), though it’s not as clean as I’d like, with Streck winning against Rachal (Ill), and Jennings losing to the same wrestler. HTH trumps that situation for me, so it stays #6 Jennings, and #7 Streck. Jensen (Neb) is #8 seed, with a HTH win over Rachal, despite Rachal’s good win vs Jennings.

#1 Coon (UM) 9-0
#2 Snyder (tOSU) 4-1
#3 Nevills (PSU) 7-2
#4 Hemida (MD) 8-1
#5 Stoll (Iowa) 5-2
#6 Jennings (NU) 6-3
#7 Streck (Pur) 5-3
#8 Jensen (Neb) 3-2

Dilly, Dilly!

One final post, hopefully later tonight, re. a TEAM recap, using the seeds to determine an early guess at point-scoring.

Moore (tOSU) is my #1 seed, with an 8-1 conference dual meet record, and good wins over Beazley (UM), Ritter (Wis), and Wilcke (Iowa). His lone conference loss was to Cassar (PSU), though it appears right now like Rasheed (PSU) is going for the Nittany Lions. Rasheed is an easy pick for #2 seed, despite limited action (he’s 4-0 in conference duals), as he has HTH wins against both Beazley and Wilcke. Interesting fact – together, the PSU duo earned a 9-0 record in Big Ten duals.

Here’s where it gets messy. 197 is really screwy starting with the #3 seed, and more than makes up for the easy seeding at 184. I had Beazley #3, then looked down my list and saw Ritter (Wis) sitting there at 8-1, including a HTH win vs Beazley at the dual, though he lost to him at the MSU Open. I even considered moving Ritter to #2, but his loss to Brunner (Pur), his only dual meet loss, sealed his #3 for me. He also beat Schultz (Neb). After careful review, I see #4, #5 and #6 are between Beazley, Wilcke and Schultz. I’m going #4 Shultz, with a HTH win over Beazley, and #5 Beazley with a HTH win over #6 Wilcke. Wilcke has a 6-3 record in duals, better than Beazley’s 4-4, but the HTH loss to Beazley, and Beazley’s good wins over Schultz at Cliff Keen, and Ritter at the MSU Open sealed my seeding choice. Brunner (Pur) saw limited Big Ten action, with a 3-2 record in duals, but did beat Ritter, and gets my #7 seed. Chakonis (NU) slides in at #8, with a good win vs Brunner, but a loss to Krone (Minn) who jumped 2 weight classes from 12/30 to 1/28 to get to 197 didn’t help his cause for a higher seed.

#1 Moore (tOSU) 8-1
#2 Rasheed (PSU) 4-0
#3 Ritter (Wis) 8-1
#4 Schultz (Neb) 7-2
#5 Beazley (UM) 4-4
#6 Wilcke (Iowa) 6-3
#7 Brunner (Pur) 3-2
#8 Chakonis (NU) 5-2

Coon (UM) gets the #1 seed over #2 Snyder (tOSU), with an exciting HTH win over the Buckeye. Nevills (PSU) owns wins over my #4, #5, and #6 guys, and easily gets the #3 seed. #4 and #5 is a little tricky, with Stoll (Iowa) having a 5-2 conference record, only losing to Coon and Nevills, and Hemida (MD), at 8-1, but no great wins, and only a loss to Nevills. Hemida received a FFT at the Iowa dual, or I might have a data-point for seeding. As I don’t, my mind says go with the better record, despite my gut saying Stoll is the better wrestler, so it’s #4 Hemida, and #5 Stoll. That’s the way it goes, must make that close call, though #4 gets #5 in the quarters, so these two big men will settle it on the mat, assuming seeds hold. I also suspect the B1G will have it #4 Stoll and #5 Hemida (but of course, they’d be wrong, lol). Jennings (NU) gets my #6, as he owns a HTH win over #7 Streck (Pur), though it’s not as clean as I’d like, with Streck winning against Rachal (Ill), and Jennings losing to the same wrestler. HTH trumps that situation for me, so it stays #6 Jennings, and #7 Streck. Jensen (Neb) is #8 seed, with a HTH win over Rachal, despite Rachal’s good win vs Jennings.

#1 Coon (UM) 9-0
#2 Snyder (tOSU) 4-1
#3 Nevills (PSU) 7-2
#4 Hemida (MD) 8-1
#5 Stoll (Iowa) 5-2
#6 Jennings (NU) 6-3
#7 Streck (Pur) 5-3
#8 Jensen (Neb) 3-2
Another great write-up. So here's a fun chat room question. What if Cassar weighs in at 197? Does he get the #1 seed?

well, by the time Cassar weighs in the seeds would have been set for 2 days.

I don't think it makes much difference in the long run, but I still think Rasheed merits the #1 seed. He is viewed as PSU's top 197 pounder and PSU is 9-0. The guy he beat out beat Moore. That should earn him the #1 seed based on B1G dual results this season IMO. Also Rasheed put a much bigger beating on Wilcke than Moore did. But no matter what, it looks to be a Rasheed vs Moore final and Rasheed will get his bonus no matter what, leading up to the finals.

Reactions: pabison
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT