ADVERTISEMENT

Roar's 2020 B1G Seeding Review - 285 now up!

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Hard to believe it's that time of year. Looking at conference action, trying to figure out the seeds with all the confoundedness of the regular season action. Injuries, illness, lower ranked guys beating higher ranked guys, wrestlers changing weight classes, we have it all. FRANKLY, I'M NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO 133!!

Anyway, I've been doing this for about 10 years now, first on Scout, adding BWI later. Done for fun, no other reason, it's intended to generate discussion, nothing more, nothing less.

My hope is to provide two weight classes per day, starting tomorrow (Monday, so I'm getting a jump by providing 125 today). By the end of the week, this exercise should be complete. ENJOY!

#1 Spencer Lee (IA)
#2 Devin Schroder (PUR)
#3 Justin Cardani (ILL)
#4 Liam Cronin (IND)
#5 Nic Aguilar (RUT)
#6 Michael DeAugustino (NU)
#7 Patrick McKee (MINN)
#8 Jack Medley (MICH)
#9 Eric Barnett (WIS)
#10 Alex Thomsen (NEB)
#11 Logan Griffin (MSU)
#12 Malik Heinselman (tOSU)
#13 Brandon Cray (MD)
#14 Brandon Meredith (PSU)

SURPRISE!! I’ll go with Spencer Lee (IA) as my #1 seed at 125, as he’s arguably the best PFP guy in college wrestling today, so certainly is #1 within his weight class. I say arguably because two guys, Zahid Valencia of AZST and Nick Lee of PSU are nipping at his heels, per Most Dominant Wrestler data. S. Lee is undefeated in Big Ten action. #2 is Devin Schroder (PUR), despite his two losses, one to Lee, the other to Liam Cronin (IND). Schroder beat some pretty good guys, in; Patrick McKee (MINN, by tech fall); Justin Cardani (ILL); and Michael DeAugustino (NU, by major decision). #3 Cardani gets the next seed, despite a bad loss to Logan Griffin (MSU), as he has good wins over DeAugustino, Jack Medley (MICH), Nic Aguilar (RUT), and Cronin (who he’s 3-0 with on the season). I was tempted to go Patrick McKee next, with only one conference loss, but he hasn’t gone since Jan. 31 (injury, unfortunately), and other than a decent win against Medley, his others were against guys seeded in the bottom half of the conference. #4 through #8 is an example of guys beating each other and none separating themselves in the conference. At 6-3 in conference, the Big Ten will probably go Medley about #4 or #5, but I’m not. Out-of-conference losses to Malik Heinselman (tOSU, a bad loss, considering), Schroder and DeAugustino (whom Medlay also beat), relegate him to #8 (see below). For the three guys #4 through #6; DeAugustino beat Cronin, Cronin beat Aguilar, and Aguilar beat DeAugustino (or A beat B, B beat C, and C beat A), so throw the HTH’s out to determine #4. I went #4 Cronin (with two good wins in-conference including beating Schroder, compared to one each for #5 Aguilar and #6 DeAugustino). After selecting #4, I’ll be honest, #5 and #6 were decided by the Aguilar HTH win over DeAugustino. #7 McKee gets the nod over #8 Medley due to the HTH win. Medley, you might remember, held Lee to a decision in their bout. Spending a second here on Medley … I do believe the conference will seed him higher, but to me the DeAugustino win is offset some by the Augustino loss (out-of-conference, so they were 1-1 on the year), and the Heinselman out-of-conference loss, both deflating his seed.

Of the bottom six seeds, there were a total of two good wins overall, Griffin over Cardani, and Malik Heinselman (tOSU) over Medley (albeit out of conference). Other than that, they sort of beat on each other. I’m going #9 Eric Barnett (WIS), with a HTH win over #10 Alex Thomsen (NEB). #11, with the great win over Cardani, is Logan Griffin (MSU), as he lost HTH to Thomsen. Rounding out the final three are #12 Heinselman, #13 Brandon Cray (MD), and #14 Brandon Meredith (PSU), all due to HTH results. I could put Heinselman in front of #11 Griffin, but the Griffin win over Cardani, is a better win than Heinselman’s over Medley.

EDIT: McKee (MINN) did not go at the 2/21 dual vs Nebraska. Instead, Jake Gliva, the early season starter at 133 went. I am not changing my rankings, but if McKee doesn't go at Big Ten's, everyone behind him moves up. It also appears Boo Dryden is the Minny starter at 133.

Last edited:
Roar,
Thank you. And I forgot the name of the board some of us used to be on. So, double thanks.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Thanks Roar. BTW, since it was a while ago many won't remember but Medley also lost to Teske in the 3rd place match at Army.

#1 Seth Gross (WIS)
#2 Roman Bravo-Young (PSU)
#3 Austin DeSanto (IA)
#4 Travis Piotrowski (ILL)
#5 Sebastian Rivera (NU)
#6 Ridge Lovett (NEB)
#7 Sammy Alvirez (RUT)
#8 Garrett Pepple (MSU)
#9 Cayden Rooks (IND)
#10 Travis Ford-Melton (PUR)
#11 Boo Dryden (MINN)
#12 King Sandoval (MD)
#13 Jordan Decatur (tOSU)
#14 Austin Assad (MICH)

Seth Gross (WIS), Austin DeSanto (IA), and Roman Bravo-Young (PSU) each have one loss in the conference, as we are faced with a round-and-round-we-go situation where A beat B, B beat C, and C beat A. DeSanto’s conference win vs Gross was impressive (6-2), Bravo-Young’s win over DeSanto was an injury default, and Gross’ victory over Bravo-Young was by the slightest of margins, 6-5. One could argue for an order of DeSanto – Gross – Bravo-Young. I chose to look deeper. I weighted the injury default the same as a decision win (keep your comments civil), AND considered that Gross also had an out-of-conference win over DeSanto. That was enough to make it; #1 Gross (on the strength of beating both guys), then #2 Bravo-Young (win vs DeSanto), then #3 DeSanto. #4 Travis Piotrowski (ILL) shouldn’t be any higher, despite going 9-0 in conference duals. Why, you ask? He beat a very good Sammy Alvirez (RUT), but his other eight wins were against guys that did not have a conference winning record. He did not face any of the top-3 seeds in conference, and lost to DeSanto 10-4 at Midlands. So, by conference record alone, Piotrowski would be number one, but in a 14-team conference, where teams only get nine conference duals, missing four of the teams, one must look deeper. What will the Big Ten do?

Here’s where I’ll bring up Sebastian Rivera (NU). Dude could win the whole thing, if healthy. However, he missed the entire conference season after injury defaulting at Midland’s against Piotrowski, until winning against 1-8 King Sandoval (MD) on February 16. I chose to go #5 Rivera. Not much 2020 data supports it, but imo it’s fairer than sending him out against the top half of the weight class in the first round. On paper, he gets Piotrowski in the quarters, and Gross in the semis – seems about right. Another example of “what will the Big Ten do?" What would you do?

Next for me is #6 Ridge Lovett (NEB) over #7 Alvirez, but not by much. Alvirez has the better record (7-2 vs 5-3), but Lovett only lost to Gross, Bravo-Young and DeSanto, while Alvirez lost to Bravo-Young and Piotrowski. The deciding factor was an Alvirez loss at the Navy Classic to Garrett Pepple (MSU). Bad loss imo.

Joey Silva (MICH) would be my #8, even in limited action, as he’s 4-0 (despite not wrestling the best guys in the conference). He went last on February 8, but Austin Assad went both matches this past weekend. I’ll assume Assad until I hear differently. That means it’s #8 Pepple, and #9 Cayden Rooks (IND). Rooks has a better conference record (4-4 vs 3-6), but Pepple has the out-of-conference win vs Alvirez. The Big Ten may not see it this way, as they often don’t dig very deep. #10 is Travis Ford-Melton (PUR), who has the best win among the five remaining guys, a win vs Rooks at the MSU Open. #11 Boo Dryden (MINN) could be switched with Ford-Melton, as he won HTH, but here we have another “A beat B, B beat C, C beat A” scenario with Rooks, Dryden and Ford-Melton, so one must look for other results. #12 King Sandoval (MD) beat #13 Jordan Decatur (tOSU) HTH. Decatur had one more B1G win, but those wins were both vs back-ups, to guys ranked #138 and #238 by WrestleStat. #14 is Austin Assad (MICH), whose only win was against the NU back-up Utterback.

Last edited:
That is an abundance of analysis by Roar. He must be off work on this President's Day. :rolleyes:

In will be interesting how may slots 125 gets for the Big10 to the big dance. It would be nice if Brandon could have an outstanding B10 tournament.

That is an abundance of analysis by Roar. He must be off work on this President's Day. :rolleyes:

In will be interesting how may slots 125 gets for the Big10 to the big dance. It would be nice if Brandon could have an outstanding B10 tournament.
:rolleyes: indeed. Add a couple of these :):).

Thought I'd get one more weight class finished before doing some vacation planning :). 141 had some interesting results, and some tough calls where no obvious differentiation existed. Plenty in this weight class shows that the better conference record can't always be the determining factor!

#1 Nick Lee (PSU)
#2 Luke Pletcher (tOSU)
#3 Max Murin (IA)
#4 Tristan Moran (WIS)
#5 Chad Red (NEB)
#6 Mitch McKee (MINN)
#7 Filius Parker (PUR)
#8 Dylan Duncan (ILL)
#9 Cole Mattin (MICH)
#10 Alec McKenna (NU)
#11 JoJo Aragona (RUT)
#12 Eddie Bolivar (IND)
#13 Matt Santos (MSU)
#14 Hunter Baxter (MD)

With only one undefeated guy, this is an easy pick at the top. #1 Nick Lee (PSU) beat #2 Luke Pletcher (tOSU) HTH, for Pletcher’s only loss of the season. The next three seeds show why the transitive property DOES NOT PREDICT RESULTS. Tristan Moran (WIS) beat Chad Red (NEB), Red beat Max Murin (IA), and Murin beat Moran. Two of the three (Moran & Murin) beat Mitch McKee (MINN), but Red didn’t wrestle him (yet, they go on 2/21). Murin has the better record, but both Moran and Red have losses to the top-2 seeds, while Murin didn’t wrestle either one (Happel went instead, due to injury). On paper, this call is as close as I’ve ever seen. There’s a better-than-50% chance the B1G picks Murin as their #3, just on record alone. This pick matters, as the #3 seed has the easier path to the semis, at least in theory. Heck, even InterMat has them #7, #8, and #9 in their Feb. 11 ranking. Soooooo, drumrollllll … I’m going #3 Murin, # 4 Moran, and #5 Red. Gutting out the McKee win after off a month, while an intangible, is all I can hang my hat on. Then, Moran beat Red HTH for the differentiation between 4 and 5. Rather long explanation, but now you see the intricacies of doing rankings and seedings when you let go of your prejudices.

Next up, one would think highly-ranked McKee (3-5). If one only looks within conference, it’s not that easy. He’s has losses against all of the top-5, and his wins are mostly against the bottom half of the conference. He did beat Filius Parker (PUR) HTH, so despite a worse conference record, it will be #6 McKee, and #7 Parker. #8 Dylan Duncan (ILL) lost to Parker HTH in his last conference bout, so despite a better conference record (6-3 vs 5-4), HTH wins out since all of Duncan’s six wins (none great) are to guys below him in my seedings.

#9 Cole Mattin (MICH) beat #10 Alec McKenna (NU) HTH, while McKenna beat #11 JoJo Aragona HTH. Conference records were similar, so HTH wins out. #12 Eddie Bolivar (IND) and #13 Matt Santos (MSU) had similar records, both beating #14 Hunter Baxter (MD), but Bolivar with one more conference win (against the Wisconsin back-up).

NOTE: Did not change the seeds, but there is slight wording changes after the Nebraska v Minnesota dual. Red pinned McKee.

Last edited:
Thought I'd get one more weight class finished before doing some vacation planning :). 141 had some interesting results, and some tough calls where no obvious differentiation existed. Plenty in this weight class shows that the better conference record can't always be the determining factor!

#1 Nick Lee (PSU)
#2 Luke Pletcher (tOSU)
#3 Max Murin (IA)
#4 Tristan Moran (WIS)
#5 Chad Red (NEB)
#6 Mitch McKee (MINN)
#7 Filius Parker (PUR)
#8 Dylan Duncan (ILL)
#9 Cole Mattin (MICH)
#10 Alec McKenna (NU)
#11 JoJo Aragona (RUT)
#12 Eddie Bolivar (IND)
#13 Matt Santos (MSU)
#14 Hunter Baxter (MD)

With only one undefeated guy, this is an easy pick at the top. #1 Nick Lee (PSU) beat #2 Luke Pletcher (tOSU) HTH, for Pletcher’s only loss of the season. The next three seeds show why the transitive property DOES NOT PREDICT RESULTS. Tristan Moran (WIS) beat Chad Red (NEB), Red beat Max Murin (IA), and Murin beat Moran. Two of the three (Moran & Murin) beat Mitch McKee (MINN), but Red didn’t wrestle him. Murin has the better record, but both Moran and Red have losses to the top-2 seeds, while Murin didn’t wrestle either one (Happel went instead, due to injury). On paper, this call is as close as I’ve ever seen. There’s a better-than-50% chance the B1G picks Murin as there #3, just on record alone. This pick matters, as the #3 seed has the easier path to the semis, at least in theory. Heck, even InterMat has them #7, #8, and #9 in their Feb. 11 ranking. Soooooo, drumrollllll … I’m going #3 Murin, # 4 Moran, and #5 Red. Gutting out the McKee win after off a month, while an intangible, is all I can hang my hat on. Then, Moran beat Red HTH for the differentiation between 4 and 5. Rather long explanation, but now you see the intricacies of doing rankings and seedings when you let go of your prejudices.

Next up, one would think highly-ranked McKee (3-4). If one only looks within conference, it’s not that easy. He’s only got losses to four of the top-5 guys, and his wins are mostly against the bottom half of the conference. He did beat Filius Parker (PUR) HTH, so despite a worse conference record, it will be #6 McKee, and #7 Parker. #8 Dylan Duncan (ILL) lost to Parker HTH in his last conference bout, so despite a better conference record (6-3 vs 5-4), HTH wins out since all of Duncan’s six wins (none great) are to guys below him in my seedings.

#9 Cole Mattin (MICH) beat #10 Alec McKenna (NU) HTH, while McKenna beat #11 JoJo Aragona HTH. Conference records were similar, so HTH wins out. #12 Eddie Bolivar (IND) and #13 Matt Santos (MSU) had similar records, both beating #14 Hunter Baxter (MD), but Bolivar with one more conference win (against the Wisconsin back-up).

The interesting thing is, though, that the three seed has the easier path to the semis. But assuming chalk would hit 5 on the backside while the 4 hits the six. So in this example, Murin loses to Pletcher and comes down and faces Red. So he’s more likely to make the semis, but also more likely to end up in the 5/6 match with two losses as opposed to the 3/4 with one.

#1 Nick Lee (PSU)
#2 Luke Pletcher (tOSU)
#3 Max Murin (IA)
#4 Tristan Moran (WIS)
#5 Chad Red (NEB)
#6 Mitch McKee (MINN)
#7 Filius Parker (PUR)
#8 Dylan Duncan (ILL)
#9 Cole Mattin (MICH)
#10 Alec McKenna (NU)
#11 JoJo Aragona (RUT)
#12 Eddie Bolivar (IND)
#13 Matt Santos (MSU)
#14 Hunter Baxter (MD)

With only one undefeated guy, this is an easy pick at the top. #1 Nick Lee (PSU) beat #2 Luke Pletcher (tOSU) HTH, for Pletcher’s only loss of the season. The next three seeds show why the transitive property DOES NOT PREDICT RESULTS. Tristan Moran (WIS) beat Chad Red (NEB), Red beat Max Murin (IA), and Murin beat Moran. Two of the three (Moran & Murin) beat Mitch McKee (MINN), but Red didn’t wrestle him. Murin has the better record, but both Moran and Red have losses to the top-2 seeds, while Murin didn’t wrestle either one (Happel went instead, due to injury). On paper, this call is as close as I’ve ever seen. There’s a better-than-50% chance the B1G picks Murin as there #3, just on record alone. This pick matters, as the #3 seed has the easier path to the semis, at least in theory. Heck, even InterMat has them #7, #8, and #9 in their Feb. 11 ranking. Soooooo, drumrollllll … I’m going #3 Murin, # 4 Moran, and #5 Red. Gutting out the McKee win after off a month, while an intangible, is all I can hang my hat on. Then, Moran beat Red HTH for the differentiation between 4 and 5. Rather long explanation, but now you see the intricacies of doing rankings and seedings when you let go of your prejudices.

Next up, one would think highly-ranked McKee (3-4). If one only looks within conference, it’s not that easy. He’s only got losses to four of the top-5 guys, and his wins are mostly against the bottom half of the conference. He did beat Filius Parker (PUR) HTH, so despite a worse conference record, it will be #6 McKee, and #7 Parker. #8 Dylan Duncan (ILL) lost to Parker HTH in his last conference bout, so despite a better conference record (6-3 vs 5-4), HTH wins out since all of Duncan’s six wins (none great) are to guys below him in my seedings.

Not sure if you were aware as I haven’t seen it mentioned but Minnesota and Nebraska have a dual this Friday so Red and McKee would be schedule to face each other. This could affect seedings at other weights as well. FYI.

Reactions: RoarLions1
Not sure if you were aware as I haven’t seen it mentioned but Minnesota and Nebraska have a dual this Friday so Red and McKee would be schedule to face each other. This could affect seedings at other weights as well. FYI.
Yes, thanks. I'll tweak those that need it.

Reactions: jmadden1998
Man, we must not be paying Roar enough. It's been almost 48 hours since he posted a seeding review. Maybe he's losing his edge in retirement?

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarLions1
burnsie shamed me into this!! Seriously, didn't get a thing done with these seed reviews yesterday, too busy in retirement ;). 157 and 165 will be coming shortly, maybe even 174. Disclaimer: Lee vs Purinton on Friday night may change my review.

#1 Sammy Sasso (tOSU)
#2 Patricio Lugo (IA)
#3 Brayton Lee (MINN)
#4 Kanen Storr (MICH)
#5 Graham Rooks (IND)
#6 Jarod Verkleeren (PSU)
#7 Cole Martin (WIS)
#8 Collin Purinton (NEB)
#9 Gerard Angelo (RUT)
#10 Yahya Thomas (NU)
#11 Griffin Parriott (PUR)
#12 Alex Hrisopoulos (MSU)
#13 Mousa Jodeh (ILL)
#14 Ryan Garlitz (MD)

Another weight class with an obvious #1. Other than 133, it’s been the case. #1 Sammy Sasso (tOSU) is the easy choice, as he’s 9-0 in his redshirt freshman year. While not affecting his seed, he did lose to fellow freshman Brayton Lee (MINN) at Cliff Keen. #2 Patricio Lugo (IA) has a lone loss to Sasso, and beat #3 Lee HTH. Seeding Lee (4-2) ahead of #4 Kanen Storr (MICH, 7-1) required some digging. Storr only lost to Lugo in conference, but also lost to Sasso at the MSU Open (by tech fall), and lost at Midland’s to Iowa’s back-up, Vincent Turk. Didn’t need that data point, as Lee’s win against top-seeded Sasso was enough to get the nod.

#5 Graham Rooks (IND) at 6-3, beat Collin Purinton (NEB), Cole Martin (WIS), and Yahya Thomas (NU) HTH. Rooks did lose to Gerard Angelo (RUT) and Martin (at Midland’s), but it’s not enough to drop his seed. The next three blew-up the transitive property, as Jarod Verkleeren (PSU) beat Martin, Martin beat Purinton, and Purinton beat Verkleeren. Purinton losing to Griffin Parriott (PUR) at Cliff Keen settled it for me, while Verkleeren and Martin had no loss to guys seeded beneath them. I went #6 Verkleeren (HTH win vs Martin), #7 Martin (HTH win vs Purinton), and #8 Purinton. Yahya Thomas (NU) and Gerard Angelo (RUT) imo are vying for the 9 seed. Thomas had a shortened season (Eric Yang filled in for five bouts, losing them all), going 3-1, while Angelo was 4-3. #9 Angelo gets the nod over #10 Thomas, as he beat Rooks HTH (a good win), while Thomas lost.

#11 Griffin Parriott (PUR) earned his seed ever so slightly over #12 Alex Hrisopoulos (MSU), when Hrisopoulos lost to Bergeland, Minnesota’s back-up. With one conference win, #13 Mousa Jodeh (ILL) gets seeded one spot higher than #14 Ryan Garlitz (MD, no wins and all four losses were of the bonus point variety).

Last edited:
Roar, I hope you know I was just having a little fun. Appreciate your contributions to the board!

Ok, ok, I'm actually done up to 174 already...so 165 will also come out this morning. Added as a disclaimer for 157, the Thomas V Robb bout happening Friday night might change my review a little in 5 through 7 seed range.

#1 Ryan Deakin (NU)
#2 Kaleb Young (IA)
#3 Kendal Coleman (PUR)
#4 Will Lewan (MICH)
#5 Jacob Tucker (MSU)
#6 Peyton Robb (NEB)
#7 Ryan Thomas (MINN)
#8 Eric Barone (ILL)
#9 Mike Van Brill (RUT)
#10 Quinn Kinner (tOSU)
#11 Brady Berge (PSU)
#12 Jahi Jones (MD)
#13 Garrett Model (WIS)
#14 Fernie Silva (IND)

Two undefeated guys (in conference) top 157, with Ryan Deakin (NU) and Kaleb Young (IA) both going 9-0. Their competition was similar, as they wrestled six of the same guys, but Deakin had four bonus point wins against those six, while Young had none. Advantage #1 Deakin over #2 Young. Next is #3 Kendall Coleman (PUR), despite the injury default to Peyton Robb (NEB), as Coleman beat Will Lewan (MICH) at the MSU Open and Jacob Tucker (MSU), who both beat Robb. Question is, will Coleman be back for B1G’s after an injury, as Limmix filled in for Purdue’s 2/16 dual. #4 Lewan won HTH against both #7 Ryan Thomas (MINN) and #5 Tucker. Thomas beat Tucker HTH, but had the bad loss in his final dual, against Robb's back-up, Jacob Licking (NEB). That loss cost #7 Thomas two seed spots. #6 Robb gets credit for the win against Coleman, and only lost to guys higher seeded. #8 Eric Barone (ILL) beat #9 Mike Van Brill (RUT) HTH, and gets the higher seed despite a loss to Elijah Cleary (tOSU).

Wisconsin and Ohio State might have different starters at B1G’s than the wrestler that started most often during the season. Does Garrett Model (WIS, 3 conference bouts) get the nod over Drew Scharenbrock (5 bouts)? Model has started the last three duals. Does Quinn Kinner (tOSU, 3 bouts) get the nod over Cleary (6 bouts)? Kinner is an interesting story, as he was wrestling 133 as recent as 11/17. I’m going Model and Kinner, as they are the recent starters. #10 Kinner has a HTH win vs #11 Brady Berge (PSU). Typing this is uncomfortable, and #11 for Berge feels a bit harsh given his history, but the Kinner loss seals this for me, knowing that Berge can and will work his way back up the ladder with more mat time, assuming he gets it. A wrestler’s health and well-being over wrestling is an easy choice.

#12 Jahi Jones beat #9 Van Brill HTH, but also had losses to Bo Pipher (PSU) and Barone at Midland’s, so he gets the 12 seed. #13 Garrett Model (WIS) and #14 Fernie Silva (IND) round out my seeds.

EDIT: The Ryan Thomas (MINN) loss to back-up Caleb Licking (NEB) at the 2/21 changes my seed review at 157. It's a bad loss. Thomas moved down two spots, and Tucker and Robb moved up.

Last edited:
You might want to fix Lugo's first name before the Iowa faithful go nuts on you. Should be spelled Patricio not Patricia.:)
Just call the Iowa wrestler Pat. It’s easier.

e7ea7f4a234e8263bc6a37ef7b541a27.jpg

You might want to fix Lugo's first name before the Iowa faithful go nuts on you. Should be spelled Patricio not Patricia.:)
Doubt they'd be that petty, as it was spelled correctly in the text. Thanks for pointing the boo-boo out.

Done for the day? Maybe, maybe not. At least I'm caught up ... two per day over three days gets us to 165!! Enjoy!

#1 Vincenzo Joseph (PSU)
#2 Alex Marinelli (IA)
#3 Evan Wick (WIS)
#4 Isaiah White (NEB)
#5 Shane Oster (NU)
#6 Ethan Smith (tOSU)
#7 Danny Braunagel (ILL)
#8 Bailee O’Reilly (MINN)
#9 Drew Hughes (MSU)
#10 Kyle Cochran (MD)
#11 Brett Donner (RUT)
#12 Tyler Meisinger (MICH)
#13 Davey Tunon (IND)
#14 Tanner Webster (PUR)

Easy pick for the top seed, as #1 Vincenzo Joseph beat #’s 2, 3, and 4. May I suggest, dear friend Sandy Joseph, that you keep the hat on :) for the rest of the season. #2 Alex Marinelli (IA) is just as easy, as he beat #’s 3 and 4. Keeping with this trend, #3 Evan Wick (WIS) won HTH vs #4 Isaiah White (NEB), and all I’ll say is I wish all the rankings were as easy to determine as these four. White squeezed into the 4 slot with a 3-3 conference record, only losing to the top-3, and pinning #6 Ethan Smith (tOSU). #5 Shane Oster (NU) has a much better conference record than White or Smith, at 8-1 in conference duals, but only wrestled Marinelli of the top-4 (he got pinned). Oster even beat Smith HTH in the dual, but lost twice to him earlier in the season at Cliff Keen. Oster also beat Danny Braunagel (ILL) in the dual, but lost to him at Midlands. One more thing about Smith, he had an inexplicable loss to Reece Hughes (MICH) at the MSU Open (Hughes is 0-5 in conference duals). All of those results, taken together, earn Oster the higher seed.

Regarding Oster and White, I wouldn’t be shocked if the B1G reversed these two, and made them #4 Oster, #5 White. Makes little difference on paper, as they should get each other in the quarters, but I’m staying pat, as Oster’s inconsistency is a factor.

#7 Braunagel beat Oster at Midlands, and had no losses to guys beneath him. #8 Bailee O’Reilly (MINN) beat #9 Drew Hughes (MSU) HTH. D. Hughes beat #10 Kyle Cochran (MD) HTH. Cochran beat #11 Brett Donner (RUT) HTH. No other distinguishing differences, so HTH, the most fundamental criteria wins out.

Michigan has wrestled two guys almost equally, Tyler Meisinger (5 duals, 2 in February), and Reece Hughes (4 duals, 2 in February). Not sure whom will go, Meisinger has the lone B1G win of the two, so I’ll go with him. #12 is Meisinger. #13 is Davey Tunon (IND), and #14 is Tanner Webster (PUR), neither having a win against another B1G starter.

Last edited:
Done for the day? Maybe, maybe not. At least I'm caught up ... two per day over three days gets us to 165!! Enjoy!

#1 Vincenzo Joseph (PSU)
#2 Alex Marinelli (IA)
#3 Evan Wick (WIS)
#4 Isaiah White (NEB)
#5 Shane Oster (NU)
#6 Ethan Smith (tOSU)
#7 Danny Branaugel (ILL)
#8 Bailee O’Reilly (MINN)
#9 Drew Hughes (MSU)
#10 Kyle Cochran (MD)
#11 Brett Donner (RUT)
#12 Tyler Meisinger (MICH)
#13 Davey Tunon (IND)
#14 Tanner Webster (PUR)

Easy pick for the top seed, as #1 Vincenzo Joseph beat #’s 2, 3, and 4. May I suggest, dear friend Sandy Joseph, that you keep the hat on :) for the rest of the season. #2 Alex Marinelli (IA) is just as easy, as he beat #’s 3 and 4. Keeping with this trend, #3 Evan Wick (WIS) won HTH vs #4 Isaiah White (NEB), and all I’ll say is I wish all the rankings were as easy to determine as these four. White squeezed into the 4 slot with a 3-3 conference record, only losing to the top-3, and pinning #6 Ethan Smith (tOSU). #5 Shane Oster (NU) has a much better conference record than White or Smith, at 8-1 in conference duals, but only wrestled Marinelli of the top-4 (he got pinned). Oster even beat Smith HTH in the dual, but lost twice to him earlier in the season at Cliff Keen. Oster also beat Danny Branaugel (ILL) in the dual, but lost to him at Midlands. One more thing about Smith, he had an inexplicable loss to Reece Hughes (MICH) at the MSU Open (Hughes is 0-5 in conference duals). All of those results, taken together, earn Oster the higher seed.

Regarding Oster and White, I wouldn’t be shocked if the B1G reversed these two, and made them #4 Oster, #5 White. Makes little difference on paper, as they should get each other in the quarters, but I’m staying pat, as Oster’s inconsistency is a factor.

#7 Branaugel beat Oster at Midlands, and had no losses to guys beneath him. #8 Bailee O’Reilly (MINN) beat #9 Drew Hughes (MSU) HTH. D. Hughes beat #10 Kyle Cochran (MD) HTH. Cochran beat #11 Brett Donner (RUT) HTH. No other distinguishing differences, so HTH, the most fundamental criteria wins out.

Michigan has wrestled two guys almost equally, Tyler Meisinger (5 duals, 2 in February), and Reece Hughes (4 duals, 2 in February). Not sure whom will go, Meisinger has the lone B1G win of the two, so I’ll go with him. #12 is Meisinger. #13 is Davey Tunon (IND), and #14 is Tanner Webster (PUR), neither having a win against another B1G starter.

Seems like White and Joseph have wrestled 100 times. Looks like a high potential for at least 1 more.

#1 Michael Kemerer (IA)
#2 Mark Hall (PSU)
#3 Dylan Lydy (PUR)
#4 Michael Labriola (NEB)
#5 Devin Skatzka (MINN)
#6 Kaleb Romero (tOSU)
#7 Joey Gunther (ILL)
#8 Layne Malczewski (MSU)
#9 Tyler Morland (NU)
#10 Jacob Covaciu (IND)
#11 Joseph Grello (RUT)
#12 Philip Spadafora (MD)
#13 Jared Kattinger (WIS)
#14 Max Maylor (MICH)

#1 Michael Kemerer is the only undefeated guy at 174, and beat my #2, #3, #4, #5 and #6 seeds. #2 Mark Hall edges out #3 Dylan Lydy (PUR), both with similar records, but Hall was more dominating with four falls and one disqualification win. Both have one loss total on the season (not just within the Big Ten), and both losing to Kemerer. I’d be surprised if Hall and Lydy didn’t meet in the semis, as the top three guys have separated themselves from the pack. #'s 4, 5, and 6 hopped on the anti-transitive property train as Michael Labriola (NEB) beat Kaleb Romero (tOSU), Romero beat Devin Skatzka (MINN), and Skatzka beat Labriola. To complicate (or help?) matters, Labriola beat Romero at the Cliff Keen, so no way is Romero seeded above Labriola, going 0-2 against him this season. And Labriola split with Skatzka, winning at Cliff Keen but losing in the dual. Finally, Skatzka and Romero split, Romero winning at the dual, while Skatzta won at Cliff Keen. I'll call these guys CLOSE!! Just these three, #4 Labriola goes 3-1, #5 Skatzka 2-2, and #6 Romero 1-3 this season.

#7 Joey Gunther (ILL) beat #8 Layne Malczewski (MSU) HTH, so gets the higher seed. Both lost one bout to a guy lower-seeded, Gunther losing to Tyler Morland at the dual, while Malczewski lost to Jacob Covaciu (IND) at Midlands, so I call these losses even. Wouldn’t matter, as HTH trumps anyway in this case. Next, I’ll flip a coin and pick #9 Morland (NU) over #10 Covaciu, both with one decent win, and similar losses for very close resumes. I should mention that Morland sustained an injury 2/7, and hasn’t wrestled since. I do not know his status for Big Ten’s.

The final four seeds don’t have a wrestler that pops out at me, based on their records. And in Rutgers, I’m not even sure who their representative will be. Joseph Grello hasn’t wrestled since 1/19, but was the starter before an injury sidelined him. Willie Scott has started since. I’ll go #11 Grello (RUT) over #12 Philip Spadafora (MD), as Grello has the HTH win. #13 Jared Kattinger (WIS), with a good win over Morland at Midland’s gets the nod over winless-in-conference action, #14 Max Maylor (MICH).

EDIT: The Skatzka (MINN) win over Labriola (NEB) on 2/21 caused a slight re-shuffle, as I flipped Skatzka and Romero (tOSU) from the original post. Explanation above.

Last edited:
You said 141 was as close on paper as you've ever seen, does the out of conference upset change Moran's seed?

#1 Aaron Brooks (PSU)
#2 Cameron Caffey (MSU)
#3 Abe Assad (IA)
#4 Taylor Venz (NEB)
#5 Billy Janzer (RUT)
#6 Owen Webster (MINN)
#7 Rocky Jordan (tOSU)
#8 Zach Braunagel (ILL)
#9 Johnny Sebastian (WIS)
#10 Jelani Embree (MICH)
#11 Jack Jessen (NU)
#12 Max Lyon (PUR)
#13 Jakob Hinz (IND)
#14 Kyle Jasenki (MD)

I’m going #1 Aaron Brooks (PSU, 6-1), though he’s not without challengers. #2 Cameron Caffey (MSU, 8-1) had a heckuva season, but lost to Billy Janzer (RUT) in a dual, and also lost to Jelani Embree (MICH) and Zach Braunagel (ILL), both at the MSU Open. He also BEAT Janzer earlier in the season at the Navy Classic. These inconsistencies cost Caffey, as he beat Taylor Venz (NEB) in a dual, while Brooks lost to Venz. #3 Abe Assad (IA) beat #4 Venz HTH, and only lost to the top two seeds. Actually Venz at #4 was a toss-up with #5 Janzer. Venz was 5-3 in conference, while Janzer was 7-2. Venz had the great win over top-seed Brooks, while Janzer was pinned by Brooks, so I’m hanging my hat on that despite my dislike for transitive thinking. Venz can improve his resume with a win tonight against Owen Webster (MINN). A Venz loss, and I’ll rework this review.

#6 Webster over #7 Rocky Jordan (tOSU) won’t make me popular with my worthless-nut friends, but the HTH win, Webster OVER Jordan, seals the deal. The only Webster results that keep this from being obvious are Webster’s two losses to Embree (dual and Cliff Keen). #8 Braunagel had an up-and-down season, beating #2 seed Caffey at the MSU Open (Braunagel also lost to Caffey in a dual), and beating #5 Janzer HTH. But at 5-4 in conference, and a final-dual loss to Max Lyon (PUR), and his seed was cast. The Lyon loss cost him at least one, maybe two seed spots.

#9 Johnny Sebastian (WIS) is a battler, as he must be held together by duct tape and bailing twine, in this his 6th season of college wrestling (he did miss all of 2016 to injury, and parts of other seasons). His 4-3 conference record, with losses to Brooks, Caffey, and Webster, simply doesn’t have any great wins, all against guys seeded below. #10 Embree had a most interesting season, beating Caffey and Lyon at the MSU Open, followed that with wins over Webster and Jack Jessen (NU) at Cliff Keen, then beating Webster again in a dual, before the bottom fell out. He’s lost his last six, including HTH vs #9 Sebastian, and a loss to #11 Jessen (they split on the season). Isn’t wrestling a crazy sport!!

#12 Lyon beat #13 Jakob Hinz (IND) HTH, and Hinz beat #14 Kyle Jasenki (MD) HTH, to round out my seed review at 184.

You said 141 was as close on paper as you've ever seen, does the out of conference upset change Moran's seed?
I'm assuming you mean the loss against the UNI kid in the Wisconsin vs Northern Iowa dual? If so, no, as it's out of conference (as you said).

These posts are fascinating, never had the privilege of seeding a tournament. The criteria looks to be:

1. Conf record
2. Head to head
3. Out of conference record
4. Domination in matches
5. When in doubt seed your adversaries with the toughest matchups

#1 Kollin Moore (tOSU)
#2 Eric Schultz (NEB)
#3 Jacob Warner (IA)
#4 Lucas Davison (NU)
#5 Jaron Smith (MD)
#6 Shakur Rasheed (PSU)
#7 Christian Brunner (PUR)
#8 Jordan Pagano (RUT)
#9 Jackson Striggow (MICH)
#10 Hunter Ritter (MINN)
#11 Matt Wroblewski (ILL)
#12 Nick May (MSU)
#13 Taylor Watkins (WIS)
#14 Nick Willham (IND)

Top seed has to be #1 Kollin Moore (tOSU). He beat all comers, and is (imo) along with Spencer Lee the two guys with significant separation between themselves and the closest competition. Still, matches are wrestled for a reason. #2 Eric Schultz (NEB) beat #3 Jacob Warner (IA) HTH, so he gets the higher seed. Both were 7-1, and Schultz’s only loss was to Moore. After #3, this review, compiling the action at 197 is a bit of cluster fun. No one else is a solid seed, differentiating themselves from those closest to them, performance-wise. That is, except for #14 Nick Willham (IND) who stands out for the wrong reason, going 0-9 in conference action.

My #4 is Lucas Davison (NU). He gets seeded higher than #5 Jaron Smith (MD), despite Davison getting pinned by Smith at the 2/16 dual. I know, I know … HTH is the single most significant criteria. It is, and it’s applied in my reviews appropriately. But losses matter too, and Smith lost to Nick May (MSU) and Jackson Striggow (MICH), neither of whom has a winning B1G record. Standing by my picks.

#6 Shakur Rasheed (PSU) shook off the rust to go 4-4 in conference, and only lost to guys ahead of him. #7 Christian Brunner (PUR) beat Davison 2x out of conference (Cliff Keen and Midlands), but lost to him in conference. Still, these are good wins. In an unfortunate turn, Brunner had to injury default in a 1/26 dual (against Jordan Pagano), and hasn’t been seen since. Jared Florell has wrestled the last four duals for Purdue in his stead. Brunner, unable to go, would affect this review, but I’ll include him for now. By the way, if asked, Rasheed gets the nod over Brunner due to his win against Pagano, and Brunner’s loss – even though it was an injury default. Their resumes were similar, otherwise.

#8 Jordan Pagano (RUT) beat #9 Striggow HTH, and only lost to guys in front, for a somewhat easy seed. Same with the next seed, as Striggow beat #10 Hunter Ritter (MINN) HTH. #11 Matt Wroblewski (ILL) took care of #12 Nick May (MSU) at the dual for one of his three conference wins, though the other two were against a back-up and the #14 seed. #13 Taylor Watkins (WIS), at 1-6, owns the lone win vs #14 Willham.

#1 Mason Parris (MICH)
#2 Gable Steveson (MINN)
#3 Tony Cassioppi (IA)
#4 Trent Hillger (WIS)
#5 David Jensen (NEB)
#6 Gary Traub (tOSU)
#7 Seth Nevills (PSU)
#8 Thomas Penola (PUR)
#9 Luke Luffman (ILL)
#10 Alex Esposito (RUT)
#11 Christian Rebotto (MSU)
#12 Brandon Streck (IND)
#13 Jack Heyob (NU)
#14 Parker Robinson (MD)

Top seed is a toss-up to me. #1 Mason Parris (MICH) and #2 Gable Steveson (MINN) have been dominant. Parris, with six falls and a tech fall, in conference, gets my nod, which appears to be against other’s wisdom (??), as Flo has Steveson #1 in the conference, and InterMat has Steveson #1 overall. He very well may be, but Parris has been dominant, AND Steveson didn’t go at the Michigan / Minnesota dual where this could have been settled. Regardless, it’s small potatoes, as they’re on opposite sides of the bracket. Let’s see what the B1G does.

#3 Anthony Cassioppi (IA) beat #4 Trent Hillger (WIS) HTH, as Hillger’s only losses are to the three guys above him. Here’s where it gets sticky. Seth Nevills (PSU) had the #5 seed locked, then lost to Traub. David Jensen wrestled a limited schedule (four conference duals), but beat Traub. The price of the Traub loss for Nevills – 2 seed spots, as I’m going #5 Jensen, #6 Traub, and #7 Nevills, all because of HTH action.

#8 Thomas Penola (PUR) beat #9 Luke Luffman (ILL) HTH, with neither guy having any extraordinary wins or losses. #10 Alex Esposito (RUT) has a lone B1G win, HTH over #11 Christian Rebotto (MSU). Rebotto has the HTH win over #12 Brandon Streck (IND). #13 Jack Heyob’s (NU) lone win is over winless #14 Parker Robinson (MD).

Hard to believe it's that time of year. Looking at conference action, trying to figure out the seeds with all the confoundedness of the regular season action. Injuries, illness, lower ranked guys beating higher ranked guys, wrestlers changing weight classes, we have it all. FRANKLY, I'M NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO 133!!

Anyway, I've been doing this for about 10 years now, first on Scout, adding BWI later. Done for fun, no other reason, it's intended to generate discussion, nothing more, nothing less.

My hope is to provide two weight classes per day, starting tomorrow (Monday, so I'm getting a jump by providing 125 today). By the end of the week, this exercise should be complete. ENJOY!

#1 Spencer Lee (IA)
#2 Devin Schroder (PUR)
#3 Justin Cardani (ILL)
#4 Liam Cronin (IND)
#5 Nic Aguilar (RUT)
#7 Patrick McKee (MINN)
#8 Jack Medley (MICH)
#9 Eric Barnett (WIS)
#10 Alex Thomsen (NEB)
#11 Logan Griffin (MSU)
#13 Brandon Cray (MD)

SURPRISE!! I’ll go with Spencer Lee (IA) as my #1 seed at 125, as he’s arguably the best PFP guy in college wrestling today, so certainly is #1 within his weight class. I say arguably because two guys, Zahid Valencia of AZST and Nick Lee of PSU are nipping at his heels, per Most Dominant Wrestler data. S. Lee is undefeated in Big Ten action. #2 is Devin Schroder (PUR), despite his two losses, one to Lee, the other to Liam Cronin (IND). Schroder beat some pretty good guys, in; Patrick McKee (MINN, by tech fall); Justin Cardani (ILL); and Michael DeAugustino (NU, by major decision). #3 Cardani gets the next seed, despite a bad loss to Logan Griffin (MSU), as he has good wins over DeAugustino, Jack Medley (MICH), Nic Aguilar (RUT), and Cronin (who he’s 3-0 with on the season). I was tempted to go Patrick McKee next, with only one conference loss, but he hasn’t gone since Jan. 31 (injury, unfortunately), and other than a decent win against Medley, his others were against guys seeded in the bottom half of the conference. #4 through #8 is an example of guys beating each other and none separating themselves in the conference. At 6-3 in conference, the Big Ten will probably go Medley about #4 or #5, but I’m not. Out-of-conference losses to Malik Heinselman (tOSU, a bad loss, considering), Schroder and DeAugustino (whom Medlay also beat), relegate him to #8 (see below). For the three guys #4 through #6; DeAugustino beat Cronin, Cronin beat Aguilar, and Aguilar beat DeAugustino (or A beat B, B beat C, and C beat A), so throw the HTH’s out to determine #4. I went #4 Cronin (with two good wins in-conference including beating Schroder, compared to one each for #5 Aguilar and #6 DeAugustino). After selecting #4, I’ll be honest, #5 and #6 were decided by the Aguilar HTH win over DeAugustino. #7 McKee gets the nod over #8 Medley due to the HTH win. Medley, you might remember, held Lee to a decision in their bout. Spending a second here on Medley … I do believe the conference will seed him higher, but to me the DeAugustino win is offset some by the Augustino loss (out-of-conference, so they were 1-1 on the year), and the Heinselman out-of-conference loss, both deflating his seed.

Of the bottom six seeds, there were a total of two good wins overall, Griffin over Cardani, and Malik Heinselman (tOSU) over Medley (albeit out of conference). Other than that, they sort of beat on each other. I’m going #9 Eric Barnett (WIS), with a HTH win over #10 Alex Thomsen (NEB). #11, with the great win over Cardani, is Logan Griffin (MSU), as he lost HTH to Thomsen. Rounding out the final three are #12 Heinselman, #13 Brandon Cray (MD), and #14 Brandon Meredith (PSU), all due to HTH results. I could put Heinselman in front of #11 Griffin, but the Griffin win over Cardani, is a better win than Heinselman’s over Medley.

EDIT: McKee (MINN) did not go at the 2/21 dual vs Nebraska. Instead, Jake Gliva, the early season starter at 133 went. I am not changing my rankings, but if McKee doesn't go at Big Ten's, everyone behind him moves up. It also appears Boo Dryden is the Minny starter at 133.

#1 Spencer Lee (IA)
#2 Devin Schroder (PUR)
#3 Justin Cardani (ILL)
#4 Liam Cronin (IND)
#5 Nic Aguilar (RUT)
#7 Patrick McKee (MINN)
#8 Jack Medley (MICH)
#9 Eric Barnett (WIS)
#10 Alex Thomsen (NEB)
#11 Logan Griffin (MSU)
#13 Brandon Cray (MD)

Just a question?
If S. Lee is the #1 seed at 125 in the B1G, who would be his first opponent? Would it be a first round bye and then the winner of #14 -
13 or something like that?

Just a question?
If S. Lee is the #1 seed at 125 in the B1G, who would be his first opponent? Would it be a first round bye and then the winner of #14 -

First round:
#1 seed BYE
#2 seed BYE
3 vs 14
4 vs 13
5 vs 12
Etc

2nd round
1 seed vs winner of 8/9
2 seed vs winner of 7/10
3 seed (or 14) winner of 6/11
4 seed (or 13) winner of 5/12

Just a question?
Still waiting for Big Ten transparency :confused:. While some have said the B1G will seed to 14, I'll wait for the pre-seeds to be released, probably Monday, March 2nd. Then we will know for sure.

If nothing has changed since last year, diggerpup has it right, but only for weight classes seeded to 14. Last year, three weight classes were seeded to 8, then the remaining 6 wrestlers were randomly placed in the bracket, after the 8 seeded wrestlers were appropriately placed. The basis was the number of allocation spots. For weight classes with 7 or fewer, the bracket was seeded to 8, with 8 spots or more, it was seeded to 14.

Waiting for the B1G.

Still waiting for Big Ten transparency :confused:. While some have said the B1G will seed to 14, I'll wait for the pre-seeds to be released, probably Monday, March 2nd. Then we will know for sure.

If nothing has changed since last year, diggerpup has it right, but only for weight classes seeded to 14. Last year, three weight classes were seeded to 8, then the remaining 6 wrestlers were randomly placed in the bracket, after the 8 seeded wrestlers were appropriately placed. The basis was the number of allocation spots. For weight classes with 7 or fewer, the bracket was seeded to 8, with 8 spots or more, it was seeded to 14.

Waiting for the B1G.
Turn blue yet, Roar?

McKee will be ready for B1G's, but you have him way under-seeded. McKee is 5-1 in the B1G with only an injury loss to Schroder when leading 5-2 with riding time.

Also, there are no seeding criteria in the B1G. It's simply coaches working it out.

McKee will be ready for B1G's, but you have him way under-seeded. McKee is 5-1 in the B1G with only an injury loss to Schroder when leading 5-2 with riding time.

Also, there are no seeding criteria in the B1G. It's simply coaches working it out.
Thanks for the info, hadn't heard for sure that he'd be wrestling.

If you're suggesting seeding is a free-for-all, it's not. It is a combination of record and HTH results. Record alone means little, imo, but I get that the conference uses it more than me, as it's easy. In this case, McKee beat my #8, #9, #10, #11, and #12 guys, losing by tech fall to my #2 guy. His win against #8 Medley was in Sudden Victory. His resume just doesn't get him higher than #7. Point to a good conference win, and I'll more him up.

Yes, the Big Ten may rank him higher, and the young man will earn whatever he gets when wrestling in the tourney. But digging a layer or two below the surface for this season's results, and I'll stick to my pre-seed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Watts
ADVERTISEMENT