ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Mr Wonderful

okinburg1

Nov 19, 2004

Another legend from the Golden age of the WWF passes on. Before the haters come calling I will admit to being bored waiting for the Olympics to start.

Another legend from the Golden age of the WWF passes on. Before the haters come calling I will admit to being bored waiting for the Olympics to start.
This stinks. Was seriously one of my favorites

Reactions: lionbacker
Does anyone remember the Crusher and Dick the Bruiser and Ernie the steel thumb Ladd? Yukon Moose Cholak?

giphy.gif

I was never big on pro wrestling. One of my grandmothers was obsessed with it. She died back in late 80s at age of 85. Watched it religiously. Was funny as hell seeing that old lady get into it like she did.
When I started wrestling in high school in 1970, one of my grandmothers was very upset and told my parents they couldn't allow me to do it. She saw what they did on television and there was no way she wanted her grandson doing that.

Reactions: danoftw
Not a Pro wrestling fan at all, even went to a match down in South Bend IN back in the 80's. A friend was crazy about it and the rest of us went to watch just to se him make a fool of himself. He did a pretty good job of it.

But I have been watching the documentaries on VIBE about them and it's interesting to see today how banged up they are and a lot dead at a younger age.

Being 61, 71 doesn't seem that old anymore.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Sorry to hear of his passing at such a young age. However, the top of the heap for me is Dominic DeNucci. The pride of Freedom, PA. Plus, he could make a helluva carbonara.
The Rock is the pride of Freedom, but I bet his carbonara couldn't stand up.

I use to watch wrestling Saturday morning on Philadelphia feed or Saturday night on New York channel 9. Typically the broadcast that we saw on TV was filmed at Ag Hall in Allentown. I knew someone that had ability to go in locker before the events. He would get us great tickets for the main event during the Allentown Fair. I saw Hogan and Andre the Giant wrestle in Back to Back matches at Fairgrounds.
I Never thought wrestling was real but enjoyed the entertainment. I'm 59 years old and remember all the names mentioned. The interviews were great, with Freddie Blassie ("Pencil Neck Geek") and the Grand Wizard who behind the scenes would be responsible for setting up the ring. The ultimate heel when I was young was Killer Kowalski. If you ever want to read an interesting bio read abou George the Animal Steel. He is in the Michigan High School Hall of Fame as High School Football and Wrestling coach.
Stroudsburg Athletics use to do a wrestling fund raiser at high school. I believe our business was given a couple of tickets by a rep we had in the area. If I recall correctly,Paul Orndorff wrestled tag team with Adrian Adonis.
The one thing that should be mentioned is the connection of real athletes(wrestlers) that enter this entertainment business. Lou Thesz, Chris Taylor, Backlund, Henning ,Flair, Lesner and PA Kurt Angle who I saw win States are just a few that I can think of.

Reactions: tikk10
Not a Pro wrestling fan at all, even went to a match down in South Bend IN back in the 80's. A friend was crazy about it and the rest of us went to watch just to se him make a fool of himself. He did a pretty good job of it.

But I have been watching the documentaries on VIBE about them and it's interesting to see today how banged up they are and a lot dead at a younger age.

Being 61, 71 doesn't seem that old anymore.
Took a flight out of San Luis Potosí, Mexico a few years ago with a WWE wrestler. He was most willing to share some details about training, practice, and matches. WWE is a hard life .... especially if you are not one one of the big stars. Lots of pressure to move through injury in order to keep the show rolling. Bad travel, bad hotels, lousy food, and ruined family life. WWE shortens up a hard man!

ADVERTISEMENT