ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Michael R. "Mouse" Millward

creamery freak

Jul 26, 2014
It was quite a shock to see Mike's name appear in Saturday's Williamsport Sun Gazette's, Obituaries.
Mike was a PIAA and NCAA wrestling official since 1998. The first NCAA match that I got to see him officiate was the PSU vs Bloomsburg match in 2011. I didn't know him personally but I remember him coaching at Williamsport and Montoursville and he seemed like a very likeable guy.
Mike wrestled at Bald Eagle Area in high school where he was a Centre County Champion, a 2X District 6 champ, a 2X Northwest Regional Champ and a 2X PIAA State Qualifier. He was a AAA Runner up his senior year, and finished his BEA career with a record of 72-18-3.
Mike wrestled at Lock Haven University, where he was a 4 year starter and a 3 year team captain, a 3X NCAA Qualifier, a 3X EWL Runner-Up, a 2X PSAC Runner-Up. Mike graduated in 1984. He was named LHU's Outstanding Freshman, and twice named LHU's Outstanding Wrestler. He scored notable collegiate wins over PSU's NCAA Champion, Carl DeStefanis in the 1981 dual, and a win over 2- time NCAA Champ Gene Mills in the 1983 Wilkes Tournament. Mike finished his LHU career with a record of 105-38-3.
Mike resided outside of Bellefonte with his wife, Bobbie Anderson Millward. Please keep their family in your prayers.
https://www.sungazette.com/obituaries/2021/07/michael-r-mouse-millward/

Mr. Millward was a teacher when I went thru WAHS, by then he was done coaching and only officiating. I didn’t have him, but he didn’t put up with kids screwing off, definitely came from a different time of when teachers weren’t afraid to set you straight with tough love and held kids accountable. Had him at some elementary wrestling practices showing his cross wrist series. He knew what he was talking about and still took no crap from kids not listening. Sad to hear of his sudden passing he was a D6 and D4 HOF. RIP “Mouse.”

I'd assume he is related to Steve Millwood. I remember him. I also remember Steve did have an older brother.

Lock Haven honored Millward during the intermission last night, leaving his shoes in the center of the mat.

IpIJfmN.jpg

9tlHozF.jpg

ZN6Lz50.jpg

I think Rivello is one of the best...the non existent part is true...he rarely makes you remember he was part of the match. I think some of the refs try to be part of it.

Reactions: creamery freak
ADVERTISEMENT