ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Legendary Phil Coyne

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
He started working as an usher at Pittsburgh Pirates’ Forbes Field in 1936 at the age of 18. Retired when he turned ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD! Estimated he saw over 6000 games, three World Series Championships. Died just weeks before his 103rd birthday.

The year before starting work he went to a game and saw Babe Ruth hit his last three home runs 712-714.

One report said he worked 56 years without missing a game. Amazing man.

He started working as an usher at Pittsburgh Pirates’ Forbes Field in 1936 at the age of 18. Retired when he turned ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD! Estimated he saw over 6000 games, three World Series Championships. Died just weeks before his 103rd birthday.

The year before starting work he went to a game and saw Babe Ruth hit his last three home runs 712-714.

Saw this in todays ppg may he rip talk about dedication

Philly? o_O

Seriously, R.I.P. Amazing man. He must have had great stories.

He also worked the media entrance for the Steelers. Couldn’t have had a better person there, he was always so cheerful and welcoming. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to chat with him a number of times.
People would fly in from all over the the country and buy tickets in his section just to see him. Would probably draw more than the Pirates this year if still working!

Reactions: fairgambit

He should be memorialized in bronze at PNC Park. I favor a statue, but even a bronze plaque would be appropriate.

ADVERTISEMENT