ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Gary Brown

Saddened to hear the news of Gary's passing today. Heard the past couple of months his health was not good due to pancreatic cancer.
Gary was a Williamsport Millionaire football legend as well as a PSU legend. I always remember the talking too JoePa gave him after he celebrated too much on his first TD run as a freshman. Gary was a super personable guy and a very successful running back coach on top of being a great player. You'll be missed Gary, RIP.

A piece written in local paper.

He was one of my favorite PSU players when I was a little guy, even more because he was local. Unselfish guy who played defense at PSU, and still went on to have a very solid NFL career at RB. Had a very respectable coaching career going as well.

RIP Gary, a PA football legend.

Reactions: TheGLOV
A little off-topic (and no disrespect to Gary Brown) but the Williamsport references reminded me of long-time poster @MtNittany

Has he been around lately?
Mt Nittany was from Loyalsock TWP, which is part of the greater Williamsport area. I think he left the board when Tom did. He was a good poster.

Reactions: royboy
Gary Brown was a team player. Although he was a superb running back, he switched to defense to play the Hero position as a junior to fill a need on defense. RIP Gary Brown.
They needed help at DB and Gary was a natural fit with his athletic ability. If you remember, Blair Thomas was coming back from a knee injury and would have already graduated, but used an injury redshirt. So instead of having Gary and Leroy Thompson battling for the TB spot their Junior year, it was Blairs. I really think JoePa didn't want a tailback controversy, hence Gary's move to defense. That's just my personal opinion

Reactions: therod and TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT