ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Former Utah Sen Orin Hatch

I remember Hatch delivering the eulogy for Ted Kennedy. Hatch was the most conservative senator, and Kennedy was the most liberal. Hatch talked about their working relationship and that Kennedy was a good friend. I wish we had more senators now who could work together.
I wish people in general could be like that - get to know people with different ideas, appreciate what you have in common, learn from their perspectives, and enjoy a friendship with someone who isn't another version of you.

I remember Hatch delivering the eulogy for Ted Kennedy. Hatch was the most conservative senator, and Kennedy was the most liberal. Hatch talked about their working relationship and that Kennedy was a good friend. I wish we had more senators now who could work together.
I am sure the Kopechnes agreed.

It's almost amazing that the angry mob electorate doesn't understand that you elect a representative who understands how to compromise as their #1 job. It's literally the only path to success in their job. If you can't compromise and make deals with opposing forces in politics, you can't execute the duties of your position.
If you are for some position and you vote for someone based on your position, the job of your elected leader is not to get that specific thing done in it's entirety but to get a piece of that specific thing done.
Aside from the corporate money, gerrymandering and career politicians the biggest problem with politics is people don't know how make deals. Everything in life is is about a deal from the way you teach your kids to behave (do that and you'll be punished/do that and I'll take you for ice cream), to the deal we have with our employer to work X amount of time for X amount of dollars.
But wait, then we send politicians to the state house and tell them to rest on their laurels and don't take no for answer? Well folks, that experiment doesn't work, it really doesn't work when you elect people who want to exasperate the former.
Lookup what happened to politicians from the late 70's on when they first allowed corporate money to infiltrate elections, it ain't good for anyone.....Well, except corporations, who are like people right? Except they don't pay taxes like people. Ok then, go about your business resting on your laurels because I'm sure your values trump your neighbors values.....Great philosophy, keep up the deep thinking.

Reactions: Plan Ahaed
that is just because you are a pinko commie. (sarcasm alert)

Reactions: Parkland Fan
It's almost amazing that the angry mob electorate doesn't understand that you elect a representative who understands how to compromise as their #1 job. It's literally the only path to success in their job. If you can't compromise and make deals with opposing forces in politics, you can't execute the duties of your position.
If you are for some position and you vote for someone based on your position, the job of your elected leader is not to get that specific thing done in it's entirety but to get a piece of that specific thing done.
Aside from the corporate money, gerrymandering and career politicians the biggest problem with politics is people don't know how make deals. Everything in life is is about a deal from the way you teach your kids to behave (do that and you'll be punished/do that and I'll take you for ice cream), to the deal we have with our employer to work X amount of time for X amount of dollars.
But wait, then we send politicians to the state house and tell them to rest on their laurels and don't take no for answer? Well folks, that experiment doesn't work, it really doesn't work when you elect people who want to exasperate the former.
Lookup what happened to politicians from the late 70's on when they first allowed corporate money to infiltrate elections, it ain't good for anyone.....Well, except corporations, who are like people right? Except they don't pay taxes like people. Ok then, go about your business resting on your laurels because I'm sure your values trump your neighbors values.....Great philosophy, keep up the deep thinking.
This animation is a bit dated with the most recent info from almost 10 years back, but it does a good job visually representing how divided our g'ubment has become:

ADVERTISEMENT