ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Chris Cornell

Still one of my favorite songs of all time. Of course the trivia here is that while Eddie Vedder was in the Temple of the Dog supergroup, Pearl Jam technically hadn't yet been formed. And this song actually wasn't that popular until Pearl Jam came onto the scenes a year later.

4 of the biggest bands from the 90's:
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden (3 of 4 leads dead)

4 of the biggest bands of the 60's and/or 70's:
Zeppelin, The Stones, Sabbath, Floyd (all leads still going strong)
Jimi, Janis, Moon, Jerry, Morrison ( alcohol ) Danko, That's just the beginning of the list. You can make any case you want when it comes to drug deaths and rock and roll.

Reactions: kgilbert78
Jimi, Janis, Moon, Jerry, Morrison ( alcohol ) Danko, That's just the beginning of the list. You can make any case you want when it comes to drug deaths and rock and roll.

Not to mention that not all of Sabbath's leads are still going strong.

Also Scott Weiland of STP just a couple of years ago.

Wow. Was this for sure drug related? Saw him perform in DC at an Innaugural Ball in 2013 - looked and sounded really good.

I was never a huge Soundgarden fan and actually preferred his work with Audioslave...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Frabjous
Wow. Was this for sure drug related? Saw him perform in DC at an Innaugural Ball in 2013 - looked and sounded really good.

I was never a huge s fan and actually preferred his work with Audioslave...

I read this morning his wife talked about having 14 years of sobriety and was denying it had anything to do with drugs. Guess the autopsy will answer many questions.

Creepy details....

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mirr...ews/chris-cornell-cause-of-death-10446196.amp

Last edited:
I was just jamming to some Outshined in the car this morning. One of the best voices out there for a long time. So powerful and deep. When soundgarden and nirvana hit the scene in the early 90's it was relevatory. We had never heard anything like that. Love it or leave it, it was different and it got your attention. Only the good die young...

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

I saw him perform last summer in a small theater in Westchester, and the show was excellent. His last album, Higher Truth, is terrific. Definitely worth multiple listens.

I read this morning his wife talked about having 14 years of sobriety and was denying it had anything to do with drugs. Guess the autopsy will answer many questions.

Creepy details....

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mirr...ews/chris-cornell-cause-of-death-10446196.amp
Heartbreaking.

Chris leaves behind wife Vicky Karayiannis-Cornell, who he recently described as "an angel, a lioness and the perfect wife and mother", their 12-year-old daughter Toni and son Christopher, 11. He also leaves his daughter Lillian Jean, 16 ... .

Was fortunate to see him front Soundgarden four times, once from the front row. Audioslave three times, once from up front at the Borgata. Temple of the dog three times (twice with EV involved), and solo once. Great talent!

Still one of my favorite songs of all time. Of course the trivia here is that while Eddie Vedder was in the Temple of the Dog supergroup, Pearl Jam technically hadn't yet been formed. And this song actually wasn't that popular until Pearl Jam came onto the scenes a year later.

While you are correct that TOTD did not get popular until 1992 after PJ and SG had made it big. But EV was not in Temple of the Dog, he simply sang vocals on a few songs. He wasn't included on the album as a member and wasn't on their tour last fall.

Also Pearl Jam played their first live show on October 22, 1990, before the recording sessions for TOTD began in November 1990.

Loved Superunknown, Down on the Upside and Temple of the Dog. Was just listening to Fresh Tendrils the other day over and over again.

Was fortunate to see him front Soundgarden four times, once from the front row. Audioslave three times, once from up front at the Borgata. Temple of the dog three times (twice with EV involved), and solo once. Great talent!

While you are correct that TOTD did not get popular until 1992 after PJ and SG had made it big. But EV was not in Temple of the Dog, he simply sang vocals on a few songs. He wasn't included on the album as a member and wasn't on their tour last fall.

Also Pearl Jam played their first live show on October 22, 1990, before the recording sessions for TOTD began in November 1990.
Lucky you. I was really hoping Audioslave would do a reunion tour after their one off a few months ago. Definitely a sad day.

Very sad....great vocalist.

He was scheduled to play his next show in Columbus OH...... (not sure if related to what happened)

Pigpen died of alcohol induced gastrointestinal hemorrhage at age 27, so alcohol, drugs basically end up just as dead......

The original Pink Floyd lead singer (Syd Barret) died years ago

Layne Staley's death hit me hard just because he was so young and I think they actually were the pioneers maybe more so than anyone. Loved Soundgarden/Cornell though.

Really sucks and he was still so young. Sounds like he just had enough. He apparently lost about everyone he was close with due to drug use.

I thought he was actually the normal one out of the Seattle crew.

The original Pink Floyd lead singer (Syd Barret) died years ago

Barret didn't die years ago, he just kinda went crazy from drug use. He died recently, in 2006.

The real question is... is Roger Waters or David Gilmour the "lead"? Waters left the band after "the final cut" in 1983. The only member in the band for it's entire existence is the drummer Nick Mason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT