ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Bruno Sammartino

Whoa there young whippersnappers! He was the reason many of us got into wrestling. Watching good versus evil play out in his matches against Killer Kowalski was far better at imparting morality lessons to an 8 year old than sleeping through a sermon.

My dad and grandad's favorite too (for an Italian family in western PA, the 2nd favorite wrestler was a very distant second.)
My Dad's second favorite wrestler was Chief Jay Strongbow. We're part Indian, so gotta stick with the tribe a little lol.

He was almost everyone's favorite wrestler.
You spoke too soon! I only liked the villains, and loathed the good guys. My motto was always, "the more they're loved, the more I hate them (I don't use the word "hate" today), and the more they're hated, the more I love them."

Couldn't beat this tandem. I especially loved how Volkov would sing the CCCP national anthem, all at the peak of the Cold War!

Last edited:
that's funny... I hate 'professional' wrestling as many assumed that is what 'real' wrestling was...

RIP Bruno. Always seemed like a really good person, Bruno, George The Animal Steele, Chief Jay Strongbow, Jumpin Johnny DeFazio. I wouldn't trade growing up in the 70s and 80s. 3 channels (in the 70s anyway), studio wrestling, bowling for dollars, roller derby.

RIP Bruno. Always seemed like a really good person, Bruno, George The Animal Steele, Chief Jay Strongbow, Jumpin Johnny DeFazio. I wouldn't trade growing up in the 70s and 80s. 3 channels (in the 70s anyway), studio wrestling, bowling for dollars, roller derby.
Roller derby was the best!

Reactions: Dogwelder and 1AA
And Hee Haw....

sad story.. was at a superbowl pre-party in Tampa (Ravens/Giants) and Artie Donovan was speaking. He brought a guest - Ron Joyce (think it was Ron)... regardless he was a lineman on the infamous '58 Colts team and Artie went on to lament how tough it was back in the day and players had to have a job in the off-season (think he said Unitas sold cars). This Joyce gentleman was a studio wrestler! Really nice guy but sad how the NFL and players union don't provide for these guys.

And this:

Reactions: Ski
Bruno's son Dan has a barbershop in the North Hills of Pittsburgh. I was there last Wednesday with my father. Dan told us his dad was not in good shape on that day. Dan has some good stories and grew up around great characters. Bruno was a great, friendly individual. Local news said at one time, he had the world record for the bench press.

Reactions: diggerpup
Every Saturday was the same thing:

3-5pm. Was wrasslin
5-6 pm was Lawrence Welk
6-7pm was news
7-8pm was Hee Haw
8-9pm was Carol Burnett

As you can imagine, I spent massive amounts of time outside. Still, some of that nostalgia rubbed off. I liked Hee Haw to be honest.

Sat Morning with Bwana Don and Safari and a box of Cherrios

I saw a documentary on Bruno a few years back. Pretty sure it was Pittsburgh produced. It went into detail about his harrowing childhood experience (his family hiding in the mountains from the Nazis during WWII. Would be nice if the Pittsburgh sports network (whatever it's named this week) ran that documentary.

Waiting all week just to see an hour or so of cartoons Saturday morning. Only getting to see football highlights at the halftime of the MNF game. And my favorite show Kolchak - The Night Stalker.

And, some of you may know that one of the most prolific and famous posters over at the mat.com is a former very high profile pro wrestler.

And, no, I won't out the person. :)

Little off topic but the Andre the Giant movie on HBO is pretty entertaining.. kind of a sad life that most probably never knew about..

Little off topic but the Andre the Giant movie on HBO is pretty entertaining.. kind of a sad life that most probably never knew about..
Very good and worth th hour and half. Watched with my two HS boys. I try to get them to watch different shows I think they will like and I know it's good if they are both watching at the end. Andre got there full attention.

Reactions: HOCKEYGOD11
My Saturday shows were action serials, Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger, Rin- Tin - Tin, Sky King, Sgt. Preston. Then Let's Have Fun. One forgotten staple, Friday night fights, sponsored by Gilette.

Reactions: RandyL
Saturday mornings for me were Daktari and cartoons (the real ones - not today's stuff) and then science fiction on one of the NY independent stations from 10-noon.
Your post brought back great memories. I'm a bit older, but we surely hit some of the same cartoons.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
ADVERTISEMENT