ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Bruno Sammartino, at age 82

I remember having to watch Saturday night wrestling, hosting by Pie Traynor (who can? American) every saturday after the Lawrence Welk Show.
sw115-401x518.jpg

Reactions: lionbacker
I remember having to watch Saturday night wrestling, hosting by Pie Traynor (who can? American) every saturday after the Lawrence Welk Show.

Studio Wrestling was hosted by Bill Cardille. Pie Traynor, as you suggested, did live commercials for American Heating during the broadcast.

Always wondered who'd win a match between Ringside Rosie and Izzie Moidel.

I remember Bill Cardille said that Bruno Sammartino sold out Madison Square Garden more than any other individual.

My dad loved Bruno Sammartino. He was a hero to so many European immigrants to this country.

Studio Wrestling was hosted by Bill Cardille. Pie Traynor, as you suggested, did live commercials for American Heating during the broadcast.

Pretty nice writeup in wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Wrestling

At one time, this show was considered one of the top wrestling shows in the United States. Even though the show started on Saturdays at 6 p.m., the lines started to form around the TV station at noon. The show was so popular that it revived the dying Pittsburgh wrestling market.

Promoter Joseph "Toots" Mondt went from promoting shows at a tiny North Side venue called "The Islam Grotto" to packing in tens of thousands of fans to outdoor shows at Forbes Field. In 1961, Mondt began using the newly built Pittsburgh Civic Arena to run indoor shows on a monthly basis. Even the referees such as Paddy Grimes, Izzy Moidel (who claimed to have once beat Rocky Marciano in an amateur boxing match), and Andy DePaul became local celebrities because of the show's huge audience. An elderly lady named Anna Buckalew, popularly known as Ringside Rosie, who always sat in the front row every Saturday, became well known. Pittsburgh Pirates Hall of Famer Pie Traynor later became part of the show as a commercial spokesman for the American Heating Company. His tag line was, "Who can? Ameri-CAN!!!"[1]

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Pretended to be Bruno as a kid while launching myself off the top of the sofa.

lol, now that brings back memories. However, I was generally Dick "The Bulldog" Brower when launching from assorted pieced of furniture, when "wrestling" with my friends.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul
My cousin from Johnstown was a big fan growing up and worked at the War Memorial and got to know a lot of the old time wrestlers, He and Brunno became good friends a few years ago and my cousin took him to his hometown in Italy where they had constructed a monument of Bruno just a couple years ago. Glad they got to go on that trip.

a nice Pittsburgh Tribune-Review article on Bruno from a few years back, at THIS LINK
thanks....wow, from the article:

"In 1957, sportscaster Bob Prince asked him to show some lifting techniques on air. A wrestling promoter saw him, and Sammartino's wrestling career was born.

In his prime, Sammartino weighed 270 pounds and bench-pressed 565 pounds. At a gym in New York, he wowed onlookers by benching 338 pounds an astonishing 38 times in a row. In the ring, he famously lifted an opponent named Haystacks Calhoun -- who weighed 640 pounds -- above his head before dropping him to the mat in 1960."

Reactions: nits74

I believe Bill Cardille was from New Castle. I mom had a date with him one time. She was from New Wilmington.

I went to grade school with his niece and nephew for a couple years before they moved away. That was my first brush with near celebrity.
I lived in Ross Township for a few years in the mid-70s...Bruno would go jogging through the neighborhood often. He was one of the three sports personalities living in the neighborhood - along with Dwight White and Doc Medich. Was pretty cool to me at the age of 12 or 13.

Reactions: AWS1022 and TheGLOV
5'10, well over 200.

Uh, no. Billed at 5'10" but that was a crock of shit like ll of the other wrestling billings. I stood next to Bruno more times than I can remember and he wasn't close to that height.

Ah yes, Chilly Billy Cardille. Also remember him for Chiller theater every Saturday Night, (or was it Friday night?)

I'll still go with Crusher Lisowski. He claimed the girls in Pittsburgh had the nicest legs because of all of the hills.

The Crusher was a classic. One of the more memorable episodes of Studio Wrestling had Cardille interviewing him during opne of his many feuds with the original Nature Boy, Buddy Rogers (Flair is nothing more than a weak imitation).The Crusher was getting more worked up and animated than usual. In those days of G-rated TV, all he could say was how mad Rogers made him. So he huffed and puffed and huffed and puffed, louder each time telling the audience how Rogers was making him "so mad." And there is Cardille insouciantly asking him "How mad?" And The Crusher screams "How mad? You wanna know how mad?" Cardille, bemused, nods."I'll tell you how mad! I'm so mad...I'm so mad...." The Crusher struggles to find words. " I'm so mad that I could eat this microphone." At which point he grabs the mike from Cardille and begins gnawing at it.

It was a more innocent time and you had to be there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT