ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Aaron Hernandez

Yuge savings of tax payer dollars there. Only thing better would be if he had scrawled "Urban Knew" on the cell room wall before going nite nite.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Inevitable.
Yup. But, only with the reading of the acquittals.

He turned to his girlfriend and silently nodded. IMO, he was signaling his intent to her right then.

His "successful" defense strategy probably meant the end of his prison kingpin days.

The acquittal was his last win in life. Everyday prison life from here on.
Guess he wanted to go out on top.

Sad to see anyone get to the point where they feel the only option is to take their own life. At the same time, I can't even begin to imagine the prospect of spending the rest of one's life in confinement.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Coached a kid who ended up in state prison for a B and E. It was heartbreaking. My only comfort was that I had done everything I could for the kid and had held him to a high standard in terms of conduct and discipline while other coaches and teachers had let him slide by repeatedly. There is always a part of you who wonders if you could have done more in these situations. Ended up coaching the kid's younger brothers and they both made it to college.

Makes me wonder about Urban Meyer today. Does he believe he did all he could for Hernandez? Did they hold him to a high standard of conduct at Florida? Many of the articles I have read seem to indicate, "No" on both accounts, but maybe stuff like this is going to happen irrespective of what a coach does to help a player.

Sad to see anyone get to the point where they feel the only option is to take their own life. At the same time, I can't even begin to imagine the prospect of spending the rest of one's life in confinement.
I tend to agree with this, but this guy made choices in life to put him where he was so I don't feel at all badly that he was stuck in a box. His was a tortured soul, and I do hope he finds peace with his Maker.

Coached a kid who ended up in state prison for a B and E. It was heartbreaking. My only comfort was that I had done everything I could for the kid and had held him to a high standard in terms of conduct and discipline while other coaches and teachers had let him slide by repeatedly. There is always a part of you who wonders if you could have done more in these situations. Ended up coaching the kid's younger brothers and they both made it to college.

Makes me wonder about Urban Meyer today. Does he believe he did all he could for Hernandez? Did they hold him to a high standard of conduct at Florida? Many of the articles I have read seem to indicate no on both accounts, but maybe stuff like this is going to happen irrespective of what a coach does to help a player.

The people there for the first 17 years of your life tend to be a bit more influential than a college coach IMO. I don't think Joe failed Chisley and remember the BS hit pieces on Joe that he lost control of the program due to all of the arrests (most of which centered around one dumb fight). You would hope these coaches try to do the right thing, but some of these "student athletes" have some baggage that they don't advertise whey they are being recruited. SEC in general were taking some shady people back then and Meyer was too, but that was the "culture" the NCAA has allowed.

The people there for the first 17 years of your life tend to be a bit more influential than a college coach IMO. I don't think Joe failed Chisley and remember the BS hit pieces on Joe that he lost control of the program due to all of the arrests (most of which centered around one dumb fight). You would hope these coaches try to do the right thing, but some of these "student athletes" have some baggage that they don't advertise whey they are being recruited. SEC in general were taking some shady people back then and Meyer was too, but that was the "culture" the NCAA has allowed.

I would say that most D1 coaches don't even "know" a vast majority of players on their roster and actually have very little impact on their behavior...like you said your basic personality and worldview is set by the time you're 17.

I agree with this. With Hernandez specifically though, he was well known as a troublemaker. He knocked out a bartender at The Swamp who asked (underage) Hernandez for ID as one example. Severely damaged the guys eye. Tebow came over and talked them out of pressing charges. Urban didnt do anything, at least Chisley got booted.

Good riddance. Saving tax payers money. Keep hanging yourselves convicted killers!
I was feeling bad that this was the first thought I had when I heard the news on the radio. Somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one. Unless they are going to do some manual labor that benefits this country, what does housing and feeding them for 40+ years until they die in jail accomplish?

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I was feeling bad that this was the first thought I had when I heard the news on the radio. Somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one. Unless they are going to do some manual labor that benefits this country, what does housing and feeding them for 40+ years until they die in jail accomplish?

Punishment for taking someone's life perhaps?

What is the alternative? Serious question. Tough to start over with a German or Scandinavian system at this point.

Punishment for taking someone's life perhaps?

What is the alternative? Serious question. Tough to start over with a German or Scandinavian system at this point.
Isn't a premature ending to their life a punishment?

My first thought was , why? And then did he really do this, or was he offed and they just staged a hanging??

For the first 18 years of our lives, we are coddled and protected by our "elders" who are responsible for teaching us right from wrong. When Aaron Hernandez reached that fork in the road, HE chose the path of gangs and intimidation. He could have been so much more to so many people but he chose the wrong path and has no one else but himself to blame for his place in life. His soul was beyond saving but we can only hope that his rotten decisions in life will help others that are at that crossroads make the better choices when the time comes.

Reactions: nittany dave
Burn in hell is much more appropriate!
Or on Easter week, couldn't it be more like....

40But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom. ”

43Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit
Tom Brady was deflated when he read this.
lh6gs.jpg

For the first 18 years of our lives, we are coddled and protected by our "elders" who are responsible for teaching us right from wrong. When Aaron Hernandez reached that fork in the road, HE chose the path of gangs and intimidation. He could have been so much more to so many people but he chose the wrong path and has no one else but himself to blame for his place in life. His soul was beyond saving but we can only hope that his rotten decisions in life will help others that are at that crossroads make the better choices when the time comes.
I agree with most all of your post but the "soul" part. I believe no soul is beyond saving, up to the moment of death. I don't want to get into a debate about this. I just wanted to state my position.

would be particularly for the dozens of death row inmates who were later exonerated......
Good point. I figured this was due to DNA testing and no longer an issue, but after some research there have been 158 death row inmates exonerated since 1973 and only 20 that were mostly due to DNA evidence. I also found it interesting that these 158 inmates were on death row an average 11.3 years before exoneration and the current average time on death row is 15.5 years. I also learned inmates are more likely to leave death row because their sentence/conviction was overturned (58.2%) then actually being executed (24.8%).

So the judicial system isn't good at determining guilt and it also takes many years from being sentenced to execution.

Yep, my first thought was he was murdered

Deadspin reporting that his former agent and lawyer are thinking the same thing.

Aaron Hernandez's Lawyer And Former Agent Aren't Sure He Killed Himself
b0tsde13muvwq5qn6zeo.jpg

Photo credit: Stephan Savoia/AP

According to the Massachusetts Department of Corrections, former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernadez hanged himself this morning in his single cell, with a bed sheet tied to the window. But at least two people are wondering whether Hernandez really hanged himself: his lawyer and his agent.

TMZ reports that lawyer Jose Baez—who secured Hernandez a not guilty verdict last week in the deaths of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado, but who did not represent him when he was convicted of murdering Odin Lloyd—“has launched an investigation on behalf of Hernandez family and they are not buying the suicide story,” and believes Hernandez could’ve been murdered either by other inmates, or by correctional officers.

Neither Baez nor Murphy were in the cell with Hernandez, and just hours after his death, it isn’t clear what information they have that would point them towards this conclusion. The prison suicide rate is devastatingly high, and even after his acquittal, Hernandez was facing an uphill battle to ever leave prison.

My first thought was , why? And then did he really do this, or was he offed and they just staged a hanging??
Kind of had the same thoughts, especially since his attorneys were claiming he was going to go free.

Deadspin reporting that his agent and lawyer are thinking the same thing.

I thought it was interesting (and it jumped out to me immediately) that the press release made a point that he tried to barricade his cell door from the inside.....as if they were trying to erase any speculation whether it was a suicide or a murder.

Yuge savings of tax payer dollars there. Only thing better would be if he had scrawled "Urban Knew" on the cell room wall before going nite nite.
Don't know if the taxpayers will save or not. I'm sure his lawyers are already looking into why the corrections officers on duty failed to make the appropriate observations etc. I would not be the least bit surprised to see a law suit against the state corrections dept.

ADVERTISEMENT