ADVERTISEMENT

Ricky Slade no longer on ODU roster

We will never know, but I would LOVE to hear his take on what he is referring to.

I have always wondered if Franklin and Rahne had a little falling out. Seemed like Franklin implored Rahne to take the ODU job. I guess that would make some sense for Slade saying PSU was F'ed up, but then turning around and playing for his old OC.

It is 1 thing to come out of high school a 5 star player. It is another thing to have the work ethic to be a 5 star college player.

Seems Ricky didn't have the second. Good luck to him but I'm pretty sure we have heard the last of him as a football player.

Reactions: 4382
Slade and Barstool sports PSU both have deleted the post. Basically it was him indicating he likes spending most of his time consuming a leafy substance.
Thanks. I live next door to Norfolk and had a booster tell me today he couldn’t ( wouldn’t) find the classroom.

Thanks. I live next door to Norfolk and had a booster tell me today he couldn’t ( wouldn’t) find the classroom.
Sad, I hope I am wrong, but it seems like this young man will spend his years working a blue collar job and telling everyone he would’ve played in the NFL, but got screwed over at PSU. He just pissed away a chance to be the guy at ODU, get an education, and possibly still have an NFL career. His football career may be over, but I hope he gets a wake up call for soon.

I have always wondered if Franklin and Rahne had a little falling out. Seemed like Franklin implored Rahne to take the ODU job. I guess that would make some sense for Slade saying PSU was F'ed up, but then turning around and playing for his old OC.
I think that was Slade covering for the fact he didn't make it work for himself but he is trying to save face by blaming PSU.

Reactions: bison13 and ram2020
Never played a down.

Uncle Ricky coulda gone pro if only coach would have put him in. Next step is looking for time travel

Just from an on the field perspective, he had terrible vision. Not that we had great blocking in front of him, but it seemed like he would just sort of run into the line and fall down. I didn't see a lot of moves or vision from him. We also utilized him somewhat poorly for his skill set I think, he was more of an outside runner, considering his size and skillset, and we just seemed to run inside with him. After his 1st year, it seems like we made a concerted effort to bulk him up to be a primary running-back, but then he just sort of seemed slower and rounder, considering his lack of size, he was never going to be a pile pusher. I think best case scenario, he could have been a little scat back that you would have seen in the Florida offenses back in the day. Pitch it to him on the outside, make him your screen guy, yes, put him at slot from time to time.
Well he ran for 5 yards per carry so he must have mixed in a good run or two with all those times he just fell down

Sad, I hope I am wrong, but it seems like this young man will spend his years working a blue collar job and telling everyone he would’ve played in the NFL, but got screwed over at PSU. He just pissed away a chance to be the guy at ODU, get an education, and possibly still have an NFL career. His football career may be over, but I hope he gets a wake up call for soon.

I think of Ellison Jordan when you talk about people no longer playing football and talking about what could have been but were screwed over by PSU.

Jordan at least has a degree to fall back on but he spends his days on Twitter talking $hit about PSU, CJF, and fans. His Twitter timeline is a presentation on someone being angry and battling some MH issues.

I think of Ellison Jordan when you talk about people no longer playing football and talking about what could have been but were screwed over by PSU.

Jordan at least has a degree to fall back on but he spends his days on Twitter talking $hit about PSU, CJF, and fans. His Twitter timeline is a presentation on someone being angry and battling some MH issues.

LOL, is he still doing that? :rolleyes:

Just from an on the field perspective, he had terrible vision. Not that we had great blocking in front of him, but it seemed like he would just sort of run into the line and fall down. I didn't see a lot of moves or vision from him. We also utilized him somewhat poorly for his skill set I think, he was more of an outside runner, considering his size and skillset, and we just seemed to run inside with him. After his 1st year, it seems like we made a concerted effort to bulk him up to be a primary running-back, but then he just sort of seemed slower and rounder, considering his lack of size, he was never going to be a pile pusher. I think best case scenario, he could have been a little scat back that you would have seen in the Florida offenses back in the day. Pitch it to him on the outside, make him your screen guy, yes, put him at slot from time to time.

Good points. Isn't this one of Franklin's biggest shortcomings? Make the scheme fit the players, but Franklin forces players to fit his scheme. Forcing Sean Clifford to channel his inner Lamar Jackson for instance, or putting Dixon at linebacker though he's a safety...or how would Wade have looked returning punts and kickoffs all these years. I shake my head sometimes.....

Good points. Isn't this one of Franklin's biggest shortcomings? Make the scheme fit the players, but Franklin forces players to fit his scheme. Forcing Sean Clifford to channel his inner Lamar Jackson for instance, or putting Dixon at linebacker though he's a safety...or how would Wade have looked returning punts and kickoffs all these years. I shake my head sometimes.....

Yes Wade looked good returning kicks in the last game but do you remember his attempt during the IU game?

All reasonable points, but I am not going anywhere near this topic. Some reasonably told me to knock off the talk about Franklin or any criticism of offensive philosophy. Other straight up called me an asshole and that everyone on the board should ignore me in perpetuity. I did not mean to suggest Ricky was not put in the optimal position, just that he did not seem to have the body type and vision for what we want our RB's to be able to do. If Franklin can't get what he wants in a RB with Ricky, then it makes sense Ricky fell in the pecking order and transferred.

Last edited:
Reactions: PS4814

Yes sir, it is like a car accident....I know I shouldn't look but always end up looking. He has major issues. I joked about something a week ago about EJ and it was deleted by the MOD.

There is a lot of projection in the JF files. Tarburton was another pegged to move before he even got to campus. I am glad thus far my man Zuriah has been able to stay at LB.

Micah obviously worked.....any other major changes work out in the JF era? And I am not counting a WR-DB kind of change becaue a lot of those kids did both in HS.

Wade?
Trent Gordon?
Lance dixon?
Micah?
Tarburton?

He blames everyone. And he might have a case against the doctors and trainers if they messed him up or missed things. He sued but represented himself. That pretty much never works.

But then he blames the coaches for pushing him too hard when he was injured. But if doctors and trainers are telling the staff he’s fine, what is the staff supposed to do? And he says teammates still call him out as a problem of some sort (I didn’t understand what he meant). He also blames Sandy and the assistant that just left (Green???). We don’t know the entire story. I don’t want to say it’s on the kid. Could be a lot of miscommunication, mistakes, emotions and just too many other things to deal with so one kid fell through the cracks.

I feel bad for the kid. He was a stud in high school and looked to have a bright future until his injury and ongoing setbacks. Now he’s depressed because his peers are headed to the NFL and he’s still trying to get back on the field.

At the end of the day, he has a degree from Penn State. And he’s still young with his whole life in front of him. He needs to get out of his own head and use his degree (if football is really over) to become successful in some other area. There is no flux capacitor that can change his reality.

Reactions: uscgPSU
He blames everyone. And he might have a case against the doctors and trainers if they messed him up or missed things. He sued but represented himself. That pretty much never works.

But then he blames the coaches for pushing him too hard when he was injured. But if doctors and trainers are telling the staff he’s fine, what is the staff supposed to do? And he says teammates still call him out as a problem of some sort (I didn’t understand what he meant). He also blames Sandy and the assistant that just left (Green???). We don’t know the entire story. I don’t want to say it’s on the kid. Could be a lot of miscommunication, mistakes, emotions and just too many other things to deal with so one kid fell through the cracks.

I feel bad for the kid. He was a stud in high school and looked to have a bright future until his injury and ongoing setbacks. Now he’s depressed because his peers are headed to the NFL and he’s still trying to get back on the field.

At the end of the day, he has a degree from Penn State. And he’s still young with his whole life in front of him. He needs to get out of his own head and use his degree (if football is really over) to become successful in some other area. There is no flux capacitor that can change his reality.

Sad.

He posted not too long ago that he has Asbergers. In all walks of life, we truly don't know what someone else is battling.

He posted not too long ago that he has Asbergers. In all walks of life, we truly don't know what someone else is battling.

I did not see that. Certainly adds some additional insight into what's at play with him.

Reactions: BBrown
I did not see that. Certainly adds some additional insight into what's at play with him.
In the end, does it really matter? I am not minimizing the issues he has faced and perhaps the coaching staff could have done a better job with him, but for the rest of his life he’ll probably wake up thinking of what he could have done differently.

Yeats:
“But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.”

Reactions: Leo Ridens
Whoever ranked him a 5 star should be let go from his ranking service. He was small, quick, but not super fast, nothing special. I never got the star ranking.

Whoever ranked him a 5 star should be let go from his ranking service. He was small, quick, but not super fast, nothing special. I never got the star ranking.

Slade was an excellent running back in high school and he dominated in his high school games. He dominated high school as a freshman/sophomore and colleges were drooling over him that early in his career. In fact, Penn State recruited an offensive lineman named Matt Burrell (Top 200 player in the class of 2015) who went to the same high school as Ricky Slade (class of 2018). Burrell told colleges to watch out for Slade, and that's why Penn State was able to develop such a long-lasting relationship with Slade. Burrell should have committed to Penn State, but he became obsessed with the glitz and glamour of Ohio State. Burrell barely sniffed the field at Ohio State and Urban Meyer told him to transfer elsewhere if he wanted playing time, and I think he transferred to Sam Houston State. Anyways, morale of the story is that a player's high school accolades don't always translate to success in college. We saw flashes of Slade's skills, but he was simply out-worked at Penn State by other players.

All reasonable points, but I am not going anywhere near this topic. Some reasonably told me to knock off the talk about Franklin or any criticism of offensive philosophy. Other straight up called me an asshole and that everyone on the board should ignore me in perpetuity. I did not mean to suggest Ricky was not put in the optimal position, just that he did not seem to have the body type and vision for what we want our RB's to be able to do. If Franklin can't get what he wants in a RB with Ricky, then it makes sense Ricky fell in the pecking order and transferred.
Sounds like that Jagoff who thinks because he coached intramural flag football at some
Clown College he and he alone can understand the intricacies of a QB draw or any other football decision made by a coach at a D1 school - like Pavlov’s dog he will rip anyone who says otherwise with usually some devastating insult like calling you a moron - lol.

Reactions: bison13
Sounds like that Jagoff who thinks because he coached intramural flag football at some
Clown College he and he alone can understand the intricacies of a QB draw or any other football decision made by a coach at a D1 school - like Pavlov’s dog he will rip anyone who says otherwise with usually some devastating insult like calling you a moron - lol.

Strikes me as a strange response, but okay.

Reactions: hereforthebeer
Okay, so it’s not just me thinking that.
Sorry for being so cryptic but there is a certain poster here who has ripped me and a few other for merely questioning a coaching decision like a coach can never be wrong and if so no one here is qualified to point that out - very tiresome and you will see it in every thread that has anything to do with coaching criticism or merely comments in coaching.

Sorry for being so cryptic but there is a certain poster here who has ripped me and a few other for merely questioning a coaching decision like a coach can never be wrong and if so no one here is qualified to point that out - very tiresome and you will see it in every thread that has anything to do with coaching criticism or merely comments in coaching.

Lmao - I completely misread your post. I thought you were going after Ram. Sorry

Reactions: ram2020

Out with it. Name your source. No need to dance around any more.

I've been there brother.

If you criticize any Coach, then it’s probably the poster Marshall. If you criticize Coach Franklin, then it’s probably the poster AWS.

Season got cancelled. Now he left team. Guessing he is headed for the NFL tryouts I
I saw nothing in his play that said he was a legit D1 running back.
Was that an official diagnosis or a self-diagnosis? I’ve run into quite a few people over the last couple of years that have claimed that (either for themselves or for their child) without having been officially diagnosed.

Reactions: marshall23
Was that an official diagnosis or a self-diagnosis? I’ve run into quite a few people over the last couple of years that have claimed that (either for themselves or for their child) without having been officially diagnosed.

I wondered the same thing, but always kept it to myself. The kid is always begging for attention and I wondered if this was a cry for attention.

If you criticize any Coach, then it’s probably the poster Marshall. If you criticize Coach Franklin, then it’s probably the poster AWS.
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner - it’s your first guess. I made up a stupid post in the Johnny Manziel thread to prove my point and sure enough he came right out after me - sooo funny and predictable. Calling me a “moron fanboy”- I played the Organ Grinder he was was my dancing Monkey - now he is on ignore - game set and match. I know it is pretty juvenile on my part but I never claimed to be mature just ask my wife or kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT