ADVERTISEMENT

Ricky Slade no longer on ODU roster

cvilleelkscoach

Feb 4, 2011
if you lived in the NOVA area when he was in HS you knew he had issues so it's not surprising if they followed him to college and hindered his ability to get onto the field

if you lived in the NOVA area when he was in HS you knew he had issues so it's not surprising if they followed him to college and hindered his ability to get onto the field

Social media is great and terrible all at the same time. I for one, don’t need any more information. My high school and college age “issues” would make most of these guys look like choir boys.
Thankfully technology didn’t catch up until I slowed down.

Unfortunately, Ricky Slade showed on social media this past weekend why he is no longer on the team.

Reactions: TheGLOV
He should have stayed at PSU. He could have demonstrated his abilities as the feature back this year.

• Sad
Reactions: PSUfiji
He should have stayed at PSU. He could have demonstrated his abilities as the feature back this year.
The NY Yankees had a third string catcher and pinch hitter par excellence in the late 50's and early 60's named Johnny Blanchard. A left handed hitter with some pop. With Elston Howard and Yogi ahead of him, Blanchard played sparingly, but seemed to have a penchant for being "clutch." As the Yankees declined in the mid 60's Blanchard was traded to Milwaukee. When informed of the trade, he was inconsolable. Teammates tried to cheer him up.....one saying...look, over there you'll get to play every day!
To which Blanchard tearfully replied, "but that's part of the problem, I know I can't."

Simone said someone she knew saw him at 31 flavors last night. It was pretty serious.
Well after seeing what he posted on social media it would not be surprising to him at 31 flavors or taco bell Bueller.

The NY Yankees had a third string catcher and pinch hitter par excellence in the late 50's and early 60's named Johnny Blanchard. A left handed hitter with some pop. With Elston Howard and Yogi ahead of him, Blanchard played sparingly, but seemed to have a penchant for being "clutch." As the Yankees declined in the mid 60's Blanchard was traded to Milwaukee. When informed of the trade, he was inconsolable. Teammates tried to cheer him up.....one saying...look, over there you'll get to play every day!
To which Blanchard tearfully replied, "but that's part of the problem, I know I can't."
One of Bob Uecker's gags is that after warming up the pitcher, he was free to go fishing.

Never played a down.

This is what we’re up against.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Would u mind sharing what you saw. I can’t seem to locate anything. Thank you.
Slade and Barstool sports PSU both have deleted the post. Basically it was him indicating he likes spending most of his time consuming a leafy substance.

Slade and Barstool sports PSU both have deleted the post. Basically it was him indicating he likes spending most of his time consuming a leafy substance.

Got it. Not to throw stones, I seem to remember him being suspended at PSU a time or 2.

This is correct. It was an Instagram live video this past weekend showing Slade engaging in that extracurricular activity. A PSU social media site made comments during the live video, which resulted in Slade replying with “I don’t play football anymore” and “this PSU guy is upset because his team sucks” and “it was F’ed up there (PSU) which is why I left.” It was a bad look for Slade, to be honest with you.

This is correct. It was an Instagram live video this past weekend showing Slade engaging in that extracurricular activity. A PSU social media site made comments during the live video, which resulted in Slade replying with “I don’t play football anymore” and “this PSU guy is upset because his team sucks” and “it was F’ed up there (PSU) which is why I left.” It was a bad look for Slade, to be honest with you.
If true, I guess the joke's on him in the end. I'll never understand why so many talented players with the opportunity of a lifetime in front of them willingly throw it away through such silly actions and statements.

If true, I guess the joke's on him in the end. I'll never understand why so many talented players with the opportunity of a lifetime in front of them willingly throw it away through such silly actions and statements.
When your that good in high school it comes easy without the work. Then they get entitled. Now he will start blaming everyone else. This won’t end well.

Some players just bust....this guy came to Penn State and right away had trouble holding the football. He then got beat out by everyone but the guy that sells ice cream at the stadium. Transferred to a place maybe more suitable for his talents and seems to have smoked his way out of there as well. eventually there has to be a mirror at some place he lives.

Disappointing under any circumstances, but especially for a talented kid.

Some players just bust....this guy came to Penn State and right away had trouble holding the football. He then got beat out by everyone but the guy that sells ice cream at the stadium. Transferred to a place maybe more suitable for his talents and seems to have smoked his way out of there as well. eventually there has to be a mirror at some place he lives.

I always wondered why he didn’t transfer to a P5 program. He was a five-star coming out of high school and had some bright spots at PSU. Maybe the word was out on him in coaching circles. Perhaps Rahne, who knew him, was the only one willing to give him a real shot. I have no idea, but I found it curious that he ended up at ODU.

Last edited:
I always wondered why he didn’t transfer to a P5 program. He was a five-star coming out of high school and had some bright spots at PSU. Maybe the word was out on him in coaching circles. Perhaps only Rahne, who knew him, was the only one willing to give him a real shot. I have no idea, but I found it curious that he ended up at ODU.

We should have moved him to the slot and see what he could do.

Just from an on the field perspective, he had terrible vision. Not that we had great blocking in front of him, but it seemed like he would just sort of run into the line and fall down. I didn't see a lot of moves or vision from him. We also utilized him somewhat poorly for his skill set I think, he was more of an outside runner, considering his size and skillset, and we just seemed to run inside with him. After his 1st year, it seems like we made a concerted effort to bulk him up to be a primary running-back, but then he just sort of seemed slower and rounder, considering his lack of size, he was never going to be a pile pusher. I think best case scenario, he could have been a little scat back that you would have seen in the Florida offenses back in the day. Pitch it to him on the outside, make him your screen guy, yes, put him at slot from time to time.

Things were so F'ed up at PSU he followed the offensive coordinator to his next school

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT