ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Reviving Friday Jukebox

I think the later Eagles stuff was pretty bland and mediocre for how popular they were, but I just stumbled across this one that I haven't heard for a long time and I like it.

Reactions: jjw165
Here are some songs linked to each other. First of all, it's "Do It Again" by The Beach Boys. In the middle it says "With a girl the lonely looks good..." That's referencing an early Beach Boys song named "The Lonely Sea." Also, when Neil Sedaka wrote "Love Will Keep Us Together" he admitted he took a bit from the beginning of this song for that.

The "did-it"s in that Beach Boys song inspired Eric Carmen to write this song, titled "She Did It."

That song in turn inspired the Hall & Oates song titled "Did It In A Minute," which was written by Darryl Hall, Sara Allen and Janna Allen. Sara Allen was mentioned (by first name) in an earlier Hall & Oates song named "Las Vegas Turnaround" (written by Oates, not Hall) and then more famously in the Hall & Oates song "Sara Smile" (written by both Hall & Oates). She and Darryl Hall were a couple for money years. Both Sara Allen and her sister Janna Allen co-wrote several of Hall & Oates hits, including this one. Sara Allen is still with us but Janna Allen died 29 years ago tomorrow, Aug 25, 1993. And there's your music history lesson for today. I like the 1st and 3rd of these songs a lot. And 2nd one I'm lukewarm on.

Nice selection. You can hear how Al Green "borrowed" liberally from that cut.

22h75gg2rc041.png

Reactions: jjw165
Cynthia Weil turns 82 on Tuesday. You probably don't recognize the name because she was a songwriter but not a performer. Among other songs, she co-wrote these.

This one was in a episode of Cheers.

This one was in an episode of Lost.

Reactions: maypole and jjw165
ADVERTISEMENT