ADVERTISEMENT

Returning Starters and Schedule Analysis

JustinTyme

Aug 23, 2020
Right here, Right Now
bwi.forums.rivals.com
Please feel free to add to my breakdown of the schedule and each opponents relative strength and returning starters.

Overall Schedule: I really don't like @Indiana as the first game due to so much returning experience. This is a very tough draw as opposed to later in the year. Follow that by Ohio St and we simply can't look ahead or have much tune up before the defining matchup. I also don't like that we get another 1 - 2 punch in Iowa then Michigan. Iowa beats teams up and by then Michigan may have had enough time to overcome their inexperience to take advantage of it. These are my primary concerns. No favors done in terms of separating our tougher opponents but rather having them back to back.

@ Indiana - They were 8-5 last year and only lost by 1 TD to us at home. From what I can tell, they only lose 6 starters from last year (their 4th and 5th top WRs, OC, OG, but also a LB and Safety who had 2nd and 3rd most tackles). This may be our 2nd toughest game of the year until the Big 10 championship game (yes, we have a very good shot to be there).

Ohio St- Finished 13-1 and #3 in the country. Lost a ton though but have probably the 2nd best talent in the nation waiting to get their opportunities. I would have felt better had Shaun Wade and Wyatt Davis not opted back in. Anyway, they return their Heisman hopeful at QB but lost the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th receivers. Lucky for them, they have elite young WRs to plug in. They return 3 of 5 on the Oline and their TE. RB seems to be a question mark between losing Dobbins, Gill, and then Teague and Crowly and Oklahoma transfer Sermon all coming off injuries. Not sure what to expect at RB except it is not going to be at Dobbins level. Their Dline lost a lot. Only DE Smith is back and they also lost Robert Landers who was their top 2nd string DT. So their top 3 DTs are gone and so is Chase Young. Young talent is there, will it be ready by game 2? Their top tackler LB Harrison is gone but the other LBs return. Only Shaun Wade returns in the defensive backfield but there are some highly touted young guys that will fill in. Again, ready by game 2? Who knows. I think their offense is pretty darn good by game 2 but the defense will still be on a learning curve.

Maryland- Maryland was 3-9 last year. No more analysis is required.

@Nebraska- Nebraska was 5-7 but could be improving. At some point Frost should make a difference there. Probably not this year because they have us and Ohio St as cross over games. Good luck.

Iowa- Finished 10-3 and #15 in the country. I think they lost 5 starters including their QB on offense and 6 starters on D but not sure if they had any opt outs I'm not tracking. All WRs return, TE is gone, QB is gone, 3 of 5 Oline return but lost Wirfs, and Goodsen and Sargent return at RB. They lose 3 of 4 DL starters, a LB (their top tackler), and half of the DBs (3rd and 6th leading tacklers).

Michigan - Finished 9-4 and #18 in the country. It appears they return 4 offensive starters, WR Bell (#1 receiver), TE Eubanks (#5 receiver), RB Charbonnet, and FB Mason. All Oline starters are gone. They lose Dwumfour on the DLine but return the rest. They lose their top 3 tacklers including 3 of 4 listed starting LBs and 3 of 5 listed starting DBs (Harbaugh is so weird). Seems like Michigan loses an awful lot and breaking in a QB with 0 returning Oline is going to be a challenge. UPDATE: Apparently starting RT Mayfield opted back in.

Rutgers - No analysis required.

Mich St - Was 7-6 last year. They lose 4 Offensive starters including their QB and #1 WR, an OT, and TE (who was #3 receiver). They lost their entire starting DLine, a LB, and 2 of 4 starting DBs.

Wisconsin/Minnesota - We'll take a closer look when we learn which one we face for the championship.

OK, so how about the Nittany Lions? 11-2 and #9 finish last year. We return all but 3 starters on offense (Hamler being the toughest to replace) and not sure Chisena / Shorter (they are a combined 1 starting position) did much for us. Gonzo will be a relatively easy replace considering Thorpe and Miranda were kind of co-starters at OG anyway. The key is finding a few young WRs to contribute from the start and for Clifford to make the jump with our new OC. Defensively, we lose 7 starters including Windsor, Gross-Matos, Parsons, Brown, and Jan Johnson, Reid and Taylor. You would think losing all 3 starting LBs would be a big blow but I think we have some great talent there ready to go. Smith, Ellis, and Luketa will be a very solid if not great group and Dixon has the potential if he isn't in the doghouse. I feel like we have some talent at the other spots too like Mustipher and Hansard at DT and Oweh and Isaac at DE and Sutherland and Brisker at FS and Ellis and Wilson at CB. So I do think this team will be better than their 2019 edition. The question is if the new offensive philosophy, WRs, and the new defensive starters will be ready for prime time game 1 and 2. Because they don't get to work out the kinks with any cupcakes and our schedule is starting at a sprint.

Ohio State is always the toughest opponent. I like getting them early despite breaking in a new offense. With their defensive turnover and getting them 2nd game, perhaps we catch them not yet ready for what we throw at them. This is a coin flip. Wish we had 110k there to make a difference. Going with the good guys 41 - 38.

Indiana is probably the 2nd toughest game not only because they weren't far behind us last year at home but they return more than anyone from a pretty good squad. In the first game and away, their experience is going to make it extremely tough. Still, we have more talent. After being down 21-13 at half, PSU comes back to win 37 - 31.

Iowa could still be tough but I think they have a slight drop off this year. Going with 31 - 24 PSU.

Michigan drops off as well but starts to pick it up by the time we play. Going with 45 - 23 PSU.

Mich St is the fifth toughest game at 51 - 27 PSU.

Nebraska hangs tough for a half but PSU runs away 48 - 20.

Maryland and Rutgers are Maryland and Rutgers.

Last edited:
So I guess people aren't ready to talk football yet. I thought for sure this would spark a little discussion.
How about this - how many of the nine scheduled games do you think PSU will get to play
I go with 4 to6.

Hey, it is a bit of weird time. Not sure why people are not commenting, probably bc chaos and less excitement with no fans or stadium tailgates. Glad to see analysis. I agree that Indiana is tough opener but recall that Patrick Ramsey did major damage with his arm. He is gone and now it is mobile QB Penix. We really struggled against classic drop back QBs like Pitt's Pickett, IU Ramsay, Buffalo's Myers (first half), Minny's Morgan, Memphis White. They were all accurate throwers and moved ball against us. IU won't be exact same offense so think UM on road is biggest obstacle after OSU. They have similar talent and we have gotten crushed at Big House lately. Nebraska will also be tough on road. Can we make it to BT champsionship? Maybe but I think we lose expected one along way (variables with Covid and no fan advantage etc) and have similar two loss year.

Reactions: JustinTyme
Please feel free to add to my breakdown of the schedule and each opponents relative strength and returning starters.

Overall Schedule: I really don't like @Indiana as the first game due to so much returning experience. This is a very tough draw as opposed to later in the year. Follow that by Ohio St and we simply can't look ahead or have much tune up before the defining matchup. I also don't like that we get another 1 - 2 punch in Iowa then Michigan. Iowa beats teams up and by then Michigan may have had enough time to overcome their inexperience to take advantage of it. These are my primary concerns. No favors done in terms of separating our tougher opponents but rather having them back to back.

@ Indiana - They were 8-5 last year and only lost by 1 TD to us at home. From what I can tell, they only lose 6 starters from last year (their 4th and 5th top WRs, OC, OG, but also a LB and Safety who had 2nd and 3rd most tackles). This may be our 2nd toughest game of the year until the Big 10 championship game (yes, we have a very good shot to be there).

Ohio St- Finished 13-1 and #3 in the country. Lost a ton though but have probably the 2nd best talent in the nation waiting to get their opportunities. I would have felt better had Shaun Wade and Wyatt Davis not opted back in. Anyway, they return their Heisman hopeful at QB but lost the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th receivers. Lucky for them, they have elite young WRs to plug in. They return 3 of 5 on the Oline and their TE. RB seems to be a question mark between losing Dobbins, Gill, and then Teague and Crowly and Oklahoma transfer Sermon all coming off injuries. Not sure what to expect at RB except it is not going to be at Dobbins level. Their Dline lost a lot. Only DE Smith is back and they also lost Robert Landers who was their top 2nd string DT. So their top 3 DTs are gone and so is Chase Young. Young talent is there, will it be ready by game 2? Their top tackler LB Harrison is gone but the other LBs return. Only Shaun Wade returns in the defensive backfield but there are some highly touted young guys that will fill in. Again, ready by game 2? Who knows. I think their offense is pretty darn good by game 2 but the defense will still be on a learning curve.

@Nebraska- Nebraska was 5-7 but could be improving. At some point Frost should make a difference there. Probably not this year because they have us and Ohio St as cross over games. Good luck.

Iowa- Finished 10-3 and #15 in the country. I think they lost 5 starters including their QB on offense and 6 starters on D but not sure if they had any opt outs I'm not tracking. All WRs return, TE is gone, QB is gone, 3 of 5 Oline return but lost Wirfs, and Goodsen and Sargent return at RB. They lose 3 of 4 DL starters, a LB (their top tackler), and half of the DBs (3rd and 6th leading tacklers).

Michigan - Finished 9-4 and #18 in the country. It appears they return 4 offensive starters, WR Bell (#1 receiver), TE Eubanks (#5 receiver), RB Charbonnet, and FB Mason. All Oline starters are gone. They lose Dwumfour on the DLine but return the rest. They lose their top 3 tacklers including 3 of 4 listed starting LBs and 3 of 5 listed starting DBs (Harbaugh is so weird). Seems like Michigan loses an awful lot and breaking in a QB with 0 returning Oline is going to be a challenge.

Mich St - Was 7-6 last year. They lose 4 Offensive starters including their QB and #1 WR, an OT, and TE (who was #3 receiver). They lost their entire starting DLine, a LB, and 2 of 4 starting DBs.

Wisconsin/Minnesota - We'll take a closer look when we learn which one we face for the championship.

OK, so how about the Nittany Lions? 11-2 and #9 finish last year. We return all but 3 starters on offense (Hamler being the toughest to replace) and not sure Chisena / Shorter (they are a combined 1 starting position) did much for us. Gonzo will be a relatively easy replace considering Thorpe and Miranda were kind of co-starters at OG anyway. The key is finding a few young WRs to contribute from the start and for Clifford to make the jump with our new OC. Defensively, we lose 7 starters including Windsor, Gross-Matos, Parsons, Brown, and Jan Johnson, Reid and Taylor. You would think losing all 3 starting LBs would be a big blow but I think we have some great talent there ready to go. Smith, Ellis, and Luketa will be a very solid if not great group and Dixon has the potential if he isn't in the doghouse. I feel like we have some talent at the other spots too like Mustipher and Hansard at DT and Oweh and Isaac at DE and Sutherland and Brisker at FS and Ellis and Wilson at CB. So I do think this team will be better than their 2019 edition. The question is if the new offensive philosophy, WRs, and the new defensive starters will be ready for prime time game 1 and 2. Because they don't get to work out the kinks with any cupcakes and our schedule is starting at a sprint.

Ohio State is always the toughest opponent. I like getting them early despite breaking in a new offense. With their defensive turnover and getting them 2nd game, perhaps we catch them not yet ready for what we throw at them. This is a coin flip. Wish we had 110k there to make a difference. Going with the good guys 41 - 38.

Indiana is probably the 2nd toughest game not only because they weren't far behind us last year at home but they return more than anyone from a pretty good squad. In the first game and away, their experience is going to make it extremely tough. Still, we have more talent. After being down 21-13 at half, PSU comes back to win 37 - 31.

Iowa could still be tough but I think they have a slight drop off this year. Going with 31 - 24 PSU.

Michigan drops off as well but starts to pick it up by the time we play. Going with 45 - 23 PSU.

Indiana’s starting QB, Ramsey, transferred so they will be breaking in a new starting QB who didn’t get the usual off season prep due to COVID. I think this is a big advantage for PSU.

Hey, it is a bit of weird time. Not sure why people are not commenting, probably bc chaos and less excitement with no fans or stadium tailgates. Glad to see analysis. I agree that Indiana is tough opener but recall that Patrick Ramsey did major damage with his arm. He is gone and now it is mobile QB Penix. We really struggled against classic drop back QBs like Pitt's Pickett, IU Ramsay, Buffalo's Myers (first half), Minny's Morgan, Memphis White. They were all accurate throwers and moved ball against us. IU won't be exact same offense so think UM on road is biggest obstacle after OSU. They have similar talent and we have gotten crushed at Big House lately. Nebraska will also be tough on road. Can we make it to BT champsionship? Maybe but I think we lose expected one along way (variables with Covid and no fan advantage etc) and have similar two loss year.
I don't think there is much separating @Indiana, Iowa, and @Mich in terms of difficulty. Clearly Ohio State is the toughest test and it could go their way. I feel like we are a little closer this year than last due to their significant losses of experience because the talent will be there. Nebraska could be a challenge, I'm just not sold on them yet. At some point they will push for the West division title but not yet. Thanks for your thoughts, pretty sound analysis.

For some reason I cannot generate much excitement yet for the Oct. 24 opener. Perhaps it is a result of some of the following:

1. Opener still a month away, but without the usual August build-up of incoming freshmen arriving Coach Galt's video clips of players working out.

2. The flood of negativity WRT COVID and the election.

3. A scarcity of info regarding how individual's are progressing (or regressing) through summer workouts. No mention of Clifford throwing to the new WR corps or the usual optimistic appraisals of the OL.

4. The disappointment of not having Parsons compete this year. After his Cotton Bowl performance, I was really eager to see him "spy" Justin Fields and lead the defense to a victory over the Buckeyes.

5. No Whiteout game.

6. Little info about how Coach Ciarrocca is molding the offense. My expectations are high, but I haven't read that much about the progress of the offense yet.

7. The uncertainty that there will even be an actual football "season."

Once we fans start seeing clips of those 1-on-1 or 4-on4 battles at practices, I think you will see more commentary on football. But for me, anyway, I haven't read any reports about new players impressing the staff or about the overall depth at various positions. Until I do, I can't offer much of an opinion concerning how PSU will fare against Indiana and others.

first, google has the game time versus Indiana at 8am.

Second, we should be favored in all but 2 games (tOSU and UM). UM is rebuilding from a mediocre year so we should beat them but the press.....

The only team we should be really concerned about is tOSU. It is probably good to get them in game 2. Ohio States opener is against Nebraska and this will be their first road game. While seasoned, we may be able to catch them before they are 100%. UM, as I said, is rebuilding their O. Iowa, Neb and MSU has inferior talent and inferior coaching.

8-0 A+ year
7-1 B+ year
6-2 C+ year (giving covid)
anything less than 6-2 is an F.

first, google has the game time versus Indiana at 8am.

Second, we should be favored in all but 2 games (tOSU and UM). UM is rebuilding from a mediocre year so we should beat them but the press.....

The only team we should be really concerned about is tOSU. It is probably good to get them in game 2. Ohio States opener is against Nebraska and this will be their first road game. While seasoned, we may be able to catch them before they are 100%. UM, as I said, is rebuilding their O. Iowa, Neb and MSU has inferior talent and inferior coaching.

8-0 A+ year
7-1 B+ year
6-2 C+ year (giving covid)
anything less than 6-2 is an F.
I honestly think @Indiana returning all but 6 starters in game 1 after playing us tight last year will be the 2nd toughest test all year. Yes, their talent is not at our level across all positions. But their experience in game 1 will be a challenge. They did not do us any favors putting them as the first game. By the end of the year, we will be much better than Indiana but probably not right away.

Reactions: Obliviax

Michigan - Finished 9-4 and #18 in the country. It appears they return 4 offensive starters, WR Bell (#1 receiver), TE Eubanks (#5 receiver), RB Charbonnet, and FB Mason. All Oline starters are gone. They lose Dwumfour on the DLine but return the rest. They lose their top 3 tacklers including 3 of 4 listed starting LBs and 3 of 5 listed starting DBs (Harbaugh is so weird). Seems like Michigan loses an awful lot and breaking in a QB with 0 returning Oline is going to be a challenge.

I think the Indiana game as an opener is way tougher than most any of the sport media sense it. This team was tough last year, and we will see a couple key player we did not have to face on the O. Here is a game where Parsons would have been a difference maker.

All teams are in an unnatural position, so hard to say how this will play out. The pieces are there for our OFF to be loaded.

I think the Indiana game as an opener is way tougher than most any of the sport media sense it. This team was tough last year, and we will see a couple key player we did not have to face on the O. Here is a game where Parsons would have been a difference maker.

All teams are in an unnatural position, so hard to say how this will play out. The pieces are there for our OFF to be loaded.
from Athlon:

Final Analysis 

This is the most athletic and talented Indiana team since the Bill Mallory era nearly 30 years ago. The Hoosiers have productive, experienced players at every position. They have finally improved their depth on defense, leaving only questions about their ability to withstand injuries on the offensive line.

If they could shock Wisconsin in their Friday night Sept. 4 opener in Madison, the Hoosiers would likely be favored in their next six games.

The key, of course, will be the health of Penix, who failed to finish his first two seasons. With Ramsey gone, there is not a proven backup at quarterback. With a ceiling of nine wins and a floor of five, Indiana is positioned for its first back-to-back seasons of at least seven wins since 1988.

Brandon Smith is next freak up. Honestly, he is going to be nasty. Not many LBs in BT have his athleticism. He had year to grown up. Little undisciplined last year. I am not worried about a QB trying to run up middle. He has great closing speed and mean streak. Coverage might be problem.

So I guess people aren't ready to talk football yet. I thought for sure this would spark a little discussion.

Thank goodness you made this post. So sick of the trash that clogs up this "FOOTBALL" message board.

I have 2 worries about what we lost from last season:

1. Parsons- was a once in a generational talent that you knew, barring injury, you would get for 3 years only. We of course had Saquon but not sure everyone thought he would be a 3 and done when he first arrived. Damn Covid took our last year of Parsons.

2. Hamler- I am 50/50 on this being a big loss. Yes, his production will be hard to replace. However, isn't this new offense made to spread the ball around? Cliff can't spread it around when he is locked in on Hamler.

My Pre-Season Watch List:

1. Minny had 2 WR over 1,000 yards....does Penn State even have 2 WR?
2. What kind of production will PF be able to muster? Because of #1 I assume PF will be double teamed often.
3. OL has potential, but we have heard that before.
4. Too many cooks in the kitchen at RB? This year is about "get yours" and with 4 backs a few won't. I still think Mr. LSD might be better than Cain.
5. Seems like we have a lot of possession WR types.....do we have anyone to take the top off?
6. DE seems to have a bunch of guys that might be a little light but can get after the QB.....but how will they do against the pulling G?
7. LB will be athletic and solid but will cost the team a few certain times this year because of lack of experience and not being able to be saved by Parsons.
8. Briskar will get a huge 15 yard late hit or targeting call sometime this year in a crucial situation.
9. Hopefully Ellis and Wilson are ready at CB.....and Castro-F takes a leap.
10. Can this team get any luck this year?

Its a shame B1G made the OSU Game 2.......i think we lose that one and in an 8 game season lose motivation for a couple of the other games throughout the year.

I honestly think @Indiana returning all but 6 starters in game 1 after playing us tight last year will be the 2nd toughest test all year. Yes, their talent is not at our level across all positions. But their experience in game 1 will be a challenge. They did not do us any favors putting them as the first game. By the end of the year, we will be much better than Indiana but probably not right away.
Stop it. We.have.better.football.players.than.indiana.from.top.to.bottom.across.the.roster.and.two.deep.

Stop it. We.have.better.football.players.than.indiana.from.top.to.bottom.across.the.roster.and.two.deep.
I don't disagree on that point but they did keep it to a 1 score game last year and we lost much more than they did. I'm not sure that we should assume anything in our first game of the year with a new offense and 7 new defensive starters.

Reactions: BBrown
For some reason I cannot generate much excitement yet for the Oct. 24 opener. Perhaps it is a result of some of the following:

1. Opener still a month away, but without the usual August build-up of incoming freshmen arriving Coach Galt's video clips of players working out.

2. The flood of negativity WRT COVID and the election.

3. A scarcity of info regarding how individual's are progressing (or regressing) through summer workouts. No mention of Clifford throwing to the new WR corps or the usual optimistic appraisals of the OL.

4. The disappointment of not having Parsons compete this year. After his Cotton Bowl performance, I was really eager to see him "spy" Justin Fields and lead the defense to a victory over the Buckeyes.

5. No Whiteout game.

6. Little info about how Coach Ciarrocca is molding the offense. My expectations are high, but I haven't read that much about the progress of the offense yet.

7. The uncertainty that there will even be an actual football "season."

Once we fans start seeing clips of those 1-on-1 or 4-on4 battles at practices, I think you will see more commentary on football. But for me, anyway, I haven't read any reports about new players impressing the staff or about the overall depth at various positions. Until I do, I can't offer much of an opinion concerning how PSU will fare against Indiana and others.
The only offensive mention from Ciarrocca regarding WRs I read was, he is very excited about two true Freshman: Lambert and Washington. Sounds like they are going to be contributors. That is good news. I have not read or heard any other camp reports.

Indiana tends to play us close. I’d like to see that game start later in the day especially since it is an away game.

I’m not sure that we are going to have a dominant defensive line and that may impact how well our linebackers perform. But we will see.

Any word on Devyn Ford? Obviously starting the season off in the doghouse with the LSD charge from last month. Does he get suspended? Even with Slade gone, the RB room is too deep to allow yourself to start from the bottom because of off the field issues.

Reactions: BBrown
Any word on Devyn Ford? Obviously starting the season off in the doghouse with the LSD charge from last month. Does he get suspended? Even with Slade gone, the RB room is too deep to allow yourself to start from the bottom because of off the field issues.

Been actually quiet on all the off field issues which is CJF standard.

Marquis Wilson
Ford
Wallace
Wormley

You mean, will he make the trip?

You mean, will he make the trip?

Potentially - LSD possession doesn't feel like something that's been dealt with by Franklin yet. Is that "kicked-off" the team worthy? A couple games? I don't really no what to expect there.

As far as the others who got hit with weed possession - I can't imagine much if anything there, right? Maybe a half or a quarter?

Potentially - LSD possession doesn't feel like something that's been dealt with by Franklin yet. Is that "kicked-off" the team worthy? A couple games? I don't really no what to expect there.

As far as the others who got hit with weed possession - I can't imagine much if anything there, right? Maybe a half or a quarter?

Could the LSD have possibly been Brandon Taylors? Afterall, he was the one that got the boot right away. You figure the way JFF does things if it were Ford's he would have been gone immediately......kind of like Taylor.

Could the LSD have possibly been Brandon Taylors? Afterall, he was the one that got the boot right away. You figure the way JFF does things if it were Ford's he would have been gone immediately......kind of like Taylor.

I think Taylor had some other, much more serious, accusations on his plate - on top of the weed.

from Athlon:

Final Analysis 

This is the most athletic and talented Indiana team since the Bill Mallory era nearly 30 years ago. The Hoosiers have productive, experienced players at every position. They have finally improved their depth on defense, leaving only questions about their ability to withstand injuries on the offensive line.

If they could shock Wisconsin in their Friday night Sept. 4 opener in Madison, the Hoosiers would likely be favored in their next six games.

The key, of course, will be the health of Penix, who failed to finish his first two seasons. With Ramsey gone, there is not a proven backup at quarterback. With a ceiling of nine wins and a floor of five, Indiana is positioned for its first back-to-back seasons of at least seven wins since 1988.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Indiana does not have an experienced QB.

The ONLY thing I like about @Indiana as the first game is that Penix is a good prep for Fields. He isn't Fields but they will do similar things and hopefully we learn from it.

Penix ran 22 times for 119 yards all of last season. Ramsey actually ran much more frequently.

IU will be tough, but let’s not overstate Penix’s abilities.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Penix is much more of a pocket passer than Ramsey. Penix can run some, but is definitely a "pro style" not a "dual threat" qb. Arm strength is better than Ramsey, who was more dual threat. Penix' touch on swing passes and short stuff to the flats is real good. Where he struggles at times is his short stuff over the middle having too much zip. A couple times last year receivers just past the line had lasers from 5-10 yards away bounce off their hands for INTs when he would have been better served with less zip.

In '17 and '18, Ramsey had a knack for pulling it down too early and running instead of hanging in the pocket. Last year not as much. PR threw deep balls better last year, but Penix' deep ball arm strength is impressive.

Looking forward to this long awaited season, like everyone. Here's to a safe and successful year for both our schools. Good luck, but not too much in game 1.

Penix is much more of a pocket passer than Ramsey. Penix can run some, but is definitely a "pro style" not a "dual threat" qb. Arm strength is better than Ramsey, who was more dual threat. Penix' touch on swing passes and short stuff to the flats is real good. Where he struggles at times is his short stuff over the middle having too much zip. A couple times last year receivers just past the line had lasers from 5-10 yards away bounce off their hands for INTs when he would have been better served with less zip.

In '17 and '18, Ramsey had a knack for pulling it down too early and running instead of hanging in the pocket. Last year not as much. PR threw deep balls better last year, but Penix' deep ball arm strength is impressive.

Looking forward to this long awaited season, like everyone. Here's to a safe and successful year for both our schools. Good luck, but not too much in game 1.

Thanks for the scouting report!

Ramsey torched us the past two years, so if nothing else, I'm not sad to see him go.

IU did benefit from catching us after heartbreaking losses (Minnesota last year, MSU in 2018), so hopefully our focus will be a bit better coming into this game. Should be a tough game, though.

The only offensive mention from Ciarrocca regarding WRs I read was, he is very excited about two true Freshman: Lambert and Washington. Sounds like they are going to be contributors. That is good news. I have not read or heard any other camp reports.

It’s also a free year. Those two TRFR can play every snap of every game and won’t lose any eligibility. Either upperclassmen will step up or young guys pass them and they won’t have a problem playing them as much as they need them.

Reactions: brupsu
This was a much needed and invigorating break from the "new normal." I'm excited to watch some big-time college games. Looking forward to IU game...hoping to get there live someday
Thanks, I was ready to talk some football. I hope everyone else is getting there too. I'm guessing that we are getting close to COVID, social justice, and politics fatigue. At least I hope so.

Thanks, I was ready to talk some football. I hope everyone else is getting there too. I'm guessing that we are getting close to COVID, social justice, and politics fatigue. At least I hope so.
I think that those conversations do indeed need to happen and that this is a good place to interact with a wide cross section of people. The apparent ages and opinions likely mirror the country as a whole as our fan base and alums are living coast to coast and Pennsylvania itself has pockets of urban, suburban, rural, isolated forest villages and former blue collar renewal cities/towns.

And how many passes did Penix throw all of last year? Penn State has a decided experience advantage over Indiana at QB and generally that makes the difference, especially in opening games.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Penix' 2019 Numbers: 6 starts, 5-1 record (Wins vs Ball St, EIU, Rutgers, Md and Northwestern; Loss vs MSU). Ramsey finished 3 of these wins.

110/160, 69% for 1394 yards, 10 TDs/4 Picks, QBR of 157.6

Penix had beaten out Ramsey for starting gig in August camp. Had 3 separate injuries (shoulder during EIU; concussion at Md; then IIRC, some kind of clavicle detachment vs Northwestern that required surgery ended his season).

Have read he added 15-20 pounds so hopefully will help keep him healthy. If he can stay in one piece, it should be a good year.

Oh, also required Knee Surgery in '18 after being injured vs PSU in one of his 3-4 games played as a true frosh, so got a redshirt.

In HS, had been a long time commit to Tennessee, who pulled his offer a week before the early signing period with the coaching change from Jones to Pruitt.

Last edited:

Michigan - Finished 9-4 and #18 in the country. It appears they return 4 offensive starters, WR Bell (#1 receiver), TE Eubanks (#5 receiver), RB Charbonnet, and FB Mason. All Oline starters are gone. They lose Dwumfour on the DLine but return the rest. They lose their top 3 tacklers including 3 of 4 listed starting LBs and 3 of 5 listed starting DBs (Harbaugh is so weird). Seems like Michigan loses an awful lot and breaking in a QB with 0 returning Oline is going to be a challenge. UPDATE: Apparently starting RT Mayfield opted back in.

Appreciate the attrition numbers. Very helpful. My take is that we will have the best all around O in the league if one wideout in addition to Dotson becomes a weapon. If they use Caziah Holmes as a slot that may indicate the lack of a second guy there. DefensivelY - plenty of speed but pass rush and run stuff? Maybe. I like Shelton and Mustipher out of our top 8 DL. After that, let’s see if people make plays. I think Wade will do well and the corners have some experience. Turnovers are generated when a unit plays fast. Will they? Don’t know yet. I’ll go with 2 losses, most likely OSU close and another game like Minnesota last year where you shake your head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT