Return of the God Hypothesis

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Linked below is a fascinating review of philosopher Stephen Meyer's fascinating new book titled Return of the God Hypothesis: Three Scientific Discoveries That Reveal the Mind Behind the Universe.

Drawing on the latest evidence in cosmology and phenomenology, Meyer's book makes two points: A) the more science discovers about the universe, the greater becomes the mystery of its existence; and B) when science takes us as far as it can go...or at least as far as it's yet been able to go...unbelievers are left having to make a leap of faith at least as great, arguably greater in fact, than that made by believers.

Therefore, agnosticism remains an intellectually respectable position as does religious belief. Aggressive atheism, however: not so much. In fact, the latter viewpoint now falls more in the realm of ideology than science.

fairfaxlion2

Oct 12, 2014
There will always be an unknown - what existed one instant prior to the first thing we understand? I do not believe that the human mind is capable of ever fully comprehending the concept that the universe always existed, and if it didn't, that it was created from something else that existed before it, and so on

Jerry

May 29, 2001
As with all the conservatives here, I'm looking forward to my death. I'll have my answers, or I'll just be dead.

I don't think any normal person looks forward to his or her death, Vic.

OK, maybe some saints.

But your response brings to mind the thought of the ancient Greek philosopher, Socrates, who, when condemned to death for the crime of speaking truth, said, fine, bring it on: either death will bring a deep and untroubled sleep, which is a pleasant thing...or judgment by rules of justice, which is also to be welcomed...as it may lead to eternal happiness.

Socrates was truly a great man...and a heroic pre-Christian model of wisdom and holiness.

Gorki224

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2021
There will always be an unknown - what existed one instant prior to the first thing we understand? I do not believe that the human mind is capable of ever fully comprehending the concept that the universe always existed, and if it didn't, that it was created from something else that existed before it, and so on
We are not supposed to know and understand everything about the universe and overall existence. This is why in the bible it mentions all your questions will be answered when you get to heaven.

TN Lion

Sep 6, 2001
We are not supposed to know and understand everything about the universe and overall existence. This is why in the bible it mentions all your questions will be answered when you get to heaven.
However we do know that in Heaven there is no beer and that's why we drink it here.