ADVERTISEMENT

reports that Sarkisian has been fired.*

He shows up drunk at a donor event and blames it on mixing a drink with medication. I bet he's the first alcoholic to ever use that excuse [ahem]. Then he denies he has a drinking problem. Two weeks later he's drunk again.

Unfortunately for him, he blew a tremendous opportunity; one that may never come again. Now, I feel sorry for him because he is in the midst of a divorce, but one has to be accountable for all of one's actions. There was no way SC could keep him.

SC is a primo job, and I have to wonder what's going on there. Sarkisian was a poor hire to begin with IMO. Will be interesting to see what they do. Quite a few good job opening up this year it seems. Jury still out on Strong at Texas.

Well...one has to wonder about Haden. First, Sarkisian has been on the juice for months. Word is he was drunk during the AZ State game and that assistant coaches reported that to Haden. Secondly, USC hasn't been anywhere near where they should be as a program. They blame their sanctions, which we all know was child's play, compared to ours. If I was a USC booster, I'd be putting pressure on them to look at someone other than Haden to be AD.

So who wants this job? How abut Randy Edsel? Just kidding.

Reactions: simons96
Haden is in a tough spot here, but he created it himself. He absolutely has to have a grand slam hire for this next gig. He has to find someone who can be considered a winner.

My thoughts on possible next USC head coach.

1. Chip Kelly.
2. Mark D'Antonio (don't laugh - no matter what he has done, he is second fiddle to Izzo in East Lansing).
3. Kyle Whittingham (I don't think there has been a PAC 12 to PAC 12 move, but one never knows).
4. Kevin Sumlin (probably not close to being interested, but he is a good coach).

I am sure there are some top notch assistants, but I don't think Haden goes the Assistant route.

Haden is in a tough spot here, but he created it himself. He absolutely has to have a grand slam hire for this next gig. He has to find someone who can be considered a winner.

1. Chip Kelly.
2. Mark D'Antonio (don't laugh - no matter what he has done, he is second fiddle to Izzo in East Lansing).
3. Kyle Whittingham (I don't think there has been a PAC 12 to PAC 12 move, but one never knows).
4. Kevin Sumlin (probably not close to being interested, but he is a good coach).

I am sure there are some top notch assistants, but I don't think Haden goes the Assistant route.

I'd have to think Chip Kelly received a call already. Proven success in the PAC 12 and now the prime PAC 12 team is calling?? Have to wonder what's going on in the Eagles offices now.

1. Chip Kelly.
4. Kevin Sumlin (probably not close to

being interested, but he is a good coach).

Pretty sure sark went from Pac-12 Washington to USC.

Should be looking into any recruits from USCe, USCw, Texas, or Georgia that may be interested in PSU. :D

Well...one has to wonder about Haden. First, Sarkisian has been on the juice for months. Word is he was drunk during the AZ State game and that assistant coaches reported that to Haden. Secondly, USC hasn't been anywhere near where they should be as a program. They blame their sanctions, which we all know was child's play, compared to ours. If I was a USC booster, I'd be putting pressure on them to look at someone other than Haden to be AD.

So who wants this job? How abut Randy Edsel? Just kidding.

Haden needs to go, but let's get real about the "culture of football" at USC. Home losses to Stanford and Washington, neither ranked. Sark could be a falling down alcoholic, but at 5-0 Haden will cover that for him because the (mostly drunk) boosters are happy.

now Haden could find the school subjected to a lawsuit, especially in California, if they didn't offer treatment to Sark as a first step.

Apparently Sarkisian's issues with alcohol date back to his very first year at Washington, where he was hired by Mark Emmert. What did Emmert know about Sarkisian's problem, when did he know it, and what did he do about it?

"One ex-player said that in 2009, Sarkisian's first season with the Huskies, the coach sometimes arrived at morning team meetings "smelling like booze and [with] eyes all red, like he's been on a bender.""

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-sarkisian-washington-20151012-story.html

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Apparently Sarkisian's issues with alcohol date back to his very first year at Washington, where he was hired by Mark Emmert. What did Emmert know about Sarkisian's problem, when did he know it, and what did he do about it?

"One ex-player said that in 2009, Sarkisian's first season with the Huskies, the coach sometimes arrived at morning team meetings "smelling like booze and [with] eyes all red, like he's been on a bender.""

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-sarkisian-washington-20151012-story.html

Clearly Mark Emmert knew!!!!! He failed his moral responsibility. Emmert should have done more. ;)

Reactions: BBrown
1. Chip Kelly.

I float around the UGA board frequently during the season. Based on the posts there - yes, I know most don't have clue 1 of what is going on inside the AD's office pertaining to Richt - those boys are NOT happy with 15 years of Richt not being able to win the big games, and seeming always having 1 or 2 "should win" games slip away. Not sure, but Mark Richt might get added to your list.

OL

Sarksian's story is very common among us alcoholics. The "issue" is minimized, worked around, and dismissed by everyone around him. However the disease of addition is progressive... the unmanageability in one's life will keep getting worse until one of 3 things happens... Locked up, Covered up, or Sobered up. There is no other way for this to end. Personally I was fired from 3 high paying sales jobs before I even went to my first (of 7) trips to rehab. I wish him the miracle of a spiritual awakening... but my heart really goes out to his family. He has 3 beautiful children that will have to fight through this at school. He will have to understand that he is not the first person in the world to go through a divorce... we alcoholics are notable for suffering from "chronic uniqueness"

Sarksian's story is very common among us alcoholics. The "issue" is minimized, worked around, and dismissed by everyone around him. However the disease of addition is progressive... the unmanageability in one's life will keep getting worse until one of 3 things happens... Locked up, Covered up, or Sobered up. There is no other way for this to end. Personally I was fired from 3 high paying sales jobs before I even went to my first (of 7) trips to rehab. I wish him the miracle of a spiritual awakening... but my heart really goes out to his family. He has 3 beautiful children that will have to fight through this at school. He will have to understand that he is not the first person in the world to go through a divorce... we alcoholics are notable for suffering from "chronic uniqueness"
Keep staying strong and fighting on. Appreciate you telling your story sir.

I float around the UGA board frequently during the season. Based on the posts there - yes, I know most don't have clue 1 of what is going on inside the AD's office pertaining to Richt - those boys are NOT happy with 15 years of Richt not being able to win the big games, and seeming always having 1 or 2 "should win" games slip away. Not sure, but Mark Richt might get added to your list.

OL

I thought about Richt, and he was my #5. I had mentioned Richt as an outside thought for Maryland - obviously, the USC job is better, but the pressure would be less at Maryland, and that would be a needed professional breather for Richt.

Keep fighting the good fight Eric.

How many of us have woken up in the morning asking ourselves "How could you have been so god damn stupid?" What you said about his family, damn, truer words were never spoken. Sad.

I'd have to think Chip Kelly received a call already. Proven success in the PAC 12 and now the prime PAC 12 team is calling?? Have to wonder what's going on in the Eagles offices now.

I'd be shocked if Kelly's agent hasn't already talked with USC about the job. That isn't to say Kelly will take it, but he's almost definitely USC's #1 target. My guess is Kelly will leverage all of this to his advantage and will be named owner of the Philadelphia Eagles within the next week.

OL
Here's a classic Georgia fan:

Keep fighting the good fight Eric.

Thanks... had 8 years in August. I really feel for this guy, to have an epic meltdown in public like this can be really tough to overcome especially for a "football" guy who's probably lived his entire life propelled by self will and self knowledge. That mindset will crush a recovery. I made it trough Ranger School and limited combat in Central America and thought there was nothing I couldn't figure out and fix on my own (like The Black Knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail). When the problem is in your head (disease of addiction) you can't also find the solution in the same place. It's a baffling thing.

Thanks... had 8 years in August. I really feel for this guy, to have an epic meltdown in public like this can be really tough to overcome especially for a "football" guy who's probably lived his entire life propelled by self will and self knowledge. That mindset will crush a recovery. I made it trough Ranger School and limited combat in Central America and thought there was nothing I couldn't figure out and fix on my own (like The Black Knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail). When the problem is in your head (disease of addiction) you can't also find the solution in the same place. It's a baffling thing.

it is cunning, baffling, and powerful. ;)

I feel for Sark as well. He clearly needs help. Haden did him no favors, professionally or personally, in how he handled this.

SC is a primo job, and I have to wonder what's going on there. Sarkisian was a poor hire to begin with IMO. Will be interesting to see what they do. Quite a few good job opening up this year it seems. Jury still out on Strong at Texas.

I'd rather have the one in Palo Alto. LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT