ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Ex-Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields has revealed epilepsy diagnosis to NFL teams

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
It sounds like he will be ok

Former Ohio State quarterback and NFL hopeful Justin Fields has confirmed to the league's teams that he has been treating epilepsy, according to a report.

NFL Network reported that teams became aware of Fields' condition during the pre-draft process and that the condition has not had any effect on Fields' football career. The report also added that doctors are confident that Fields will grow out of the condition, as other members of his family have.

The Mayo Clinic defines epilepsy as a neurological disorder "in which brain activity becomes abnormal, causing seizures or periods of unusual behavior, sensations, and sometimes loss of awareness."

more: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-ex-ohio-state-quarterback-192125608.html

Reactions: NedFromYork
Not a big deal, but the kind of thing you have to disclose during the pre-draft process as not to give teams a reason to void your contract for later if you don't pan out.

I was thinking the same thing as Bob. It will be interesting to see where he goes with this info.

I'm hoping my Niners take him or a Trey Lance. If I had to pick one it would be Fields. I just don't know enough about Lance.

Isn't it possible he already has? He went from a consensus #2 pick behind TL to maybe the 4th or 5th QB. Timing is interesting as well.
I think he's no worse than the 2nd best QB in this class, so his fall has been strange. He was the winner of the Elite 11 competition when he attended with Trevor Lawrence, and certainly looked better when the two faced each other in December. I haven't heard him speak up that much, so my impression is that he might not be outgoing enough to fare well in a place like New York. I can understand the Jets passing on him. But anyone else looking for a QB should be glad to get him, so I wonder if this has been the real reason for his slide.

Reactions: lazydave841
So it’s a non issue despite he has been on anti-epileptic meds for an extended period of time as well as a blow to the head not having an impact on his brain or seizure threshold? Are you really a neurologist or Field’s personal family member who has intimate knowledge
of his condition?
1343535584744_4653540.png

Damn, wish we knew he had seizures, Pry could have devised a new defensive system when we played him!
He will be fine, Alan Faneca from the Steelers had a controlled seizure condition. Being concussed, however, as well as what meds he has been on may still be of concern to teams and for his own well being. NFL football is not a profession where you avoid head trauma.

tenor.gif

No idea how Fields will fare as a pro, but he’s the best OSU QB I’ve ever seen and I have a ton of respect for his game.

No idea how Fields will fare as a pro, but he’s the best OSU QB I’ve ever seen and I have a ton of respect for his game.
Well that’s not saying much seeing OSU’s history at QB and no I’m not saying PSU has faired any better at that position in the pros.

My son has a form of epilepsy. When he was diagnosed, we saw several neurologists for 2nd (and 3rd) opinions. All of them said there's no firm evidence one way or another, but told us if it was their kid they'd NOT let him play tackle football, citing their belief that concussions would certainly make the issue worse.

Reactions: NJPSU
ADVERTISEMENT