ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Celitcs Head Coach Ime Udoka to get one-year suspension

I do not understand, why a suspension vs termination. One year suspension with no promise of a job. Guess they are looking for him to resign and maybe avoid a severance package.

Did the female staff member get suspended also?
Lots to be learned here.

First, it appears that she was a staff member, by that I mean Jr. to the coach. What that does is open the Celtics to litigation if she sues. Even if it is consensual, she can make it look creepy and state that she was coerced by his power. Bottom line is that pro-sports is PR driving and it would cost the Celts a LOT of money to settle.

Second, Ime's GF of ten years is a public figure. They've been engaged for those ten years plus have a child together. She's been very public as a supporter of his and the Celts. Again, really bad PR.

Third, and this is unclear, there are rumors that the affair came to light because another woman reported "unwanted sexual advances" including digital (text, probably, which is stone cold hard evidence). That resulted in an "investigation" which resulted in the affair coming to light. So it is probably not a singular event with a singular person by systemic.

Lastly, he has a clause in his contract that calls this behavior out as unacceptable as a coach of the Celts. Obviously, due to PR concerns. Gotta sell those tickets!

There is also some speculation that the reason for the suspension instead of termination, is that he'll get a job someplace else. It may not be a termination-specific offense in his contract so lots of legal maneuvering going on.

I once listened to the Celtics chief legal council speak at an event. He made a big deal out of the fact that, coming out of law school, he worked for several years with the Celts "for free" because working in sports was his dream job. Now he's making several million a year. Seemed inspiring until I later learned that he is a trust fund child of a very wealthy family. A lot of us didn't have that option coming out of college. BTW, I hate he Celtics and always have.

He made a big deal out of the fact that, coming out of law school, he worked for several years with the Celts "for free" because working in sports was his dream job. Now he's making several million a year. Seemed inspiring until I later learned that he is a trust fund child of a very wealthy family. A lot of us didn't have that option coming out of college.

People like that don't live in the same world as the rest of us do. He might be a genuine good person, but when you learn what you learned it's just not as impressive nor relatable.

TBH, I didn't even know this IU guy was the Celtics coach. I don't recognize him.

People like that don't live in the same world as the rest of us do. He might be a genuine good person, but when you learn what you learned it's just not as impressive nor relatable.

TBH, I didn't even know this IU guy was the Celtics coach. I don't recognize him.
I agree. But it is, apparently, a violation of his agreement with the Celts. It is a weird dichotomy; you get rich and famous so you are more attractive to the opposite sex but then you can't use it once you get to that level

Reactions: bourbon n blues
The suspension is so the lawyers can get the ducks in order to fire him for cause. You cannot just 'fire' somebody anymore without going through the proper HR rules. So I would be willing to bet that either he resigns (with some type of negotiated buyout that is never disclosed with both parties legally bound to keep things quiet) or that he gets fired at some point in the next 4-8 weeks once the legal and HR have had time to fire him for cause with all the proper paperwork and most likely after they tried to negotiate that he resign but not be able to come to terms.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
The suspension is so the lawyers can get the ducks in order to fire him for cause. You cannot just 'fire' somebody anymore without going through the proper HR rules. So I would be willing to bet that either he resigns (with some type of negotiated buyout that is never disclosed with both parties legally bound to keep things quiet) or that he gets fired at some point in the next 4-8 weeks once the legal and HR have had time to fire him for cause with all the proper paperwork and most likely after they tried to negotiate that he resign but not be able to come to terms.

Yep. Exactly.

This is similar in a way to the Suns owner. The writing was on the wall that he was done. But they just had to slow play it.

LdN

Lots to be learned here.

First, it appears that she was a staff member, by that I mean Jr. to the coach. What that does is open the Celtics to litigation if she sues. Even if it is consensual, she can make it look creepy and state that she was coerced by his power. Bottom line is that pro-sports is PR driving and it would cost the Celts a LOT of money to settle.

Second, Ime's GF of ten years is a public figure. They've been engaged for those ten years plus have a child together. She's been very public as a supporter of his and the Celts. Again, really bad PR.

Third, and this is unclear, there are rumors that the affair came to light because another woman reported "unwanted sexual advances" including digital (text, probably, which is stone cold hard evidence). That resulted in an "investigation" which resulted in the affair coming to light. So it is probably not a singular event with a singular person by systemic.

Lastly, he has a clause in his contract that calls this behavior out as unacceptable as a coach of the Celts. Obviously, due to PR concerns. Gotta sell those tickets!

There is also some speculation that the reason for the suspension instead of termination, is that he'll get a job someplace else. It may not be a termination-specific offense in his contract so lots of legal maneuvering going on.

I once listened to the Celtics chief legal council speak at an event. He made a big deal out of the fact that, coming out of law school, he worked for several years with the Celts "for free" because working in sports was his dream job. Now he's making several million a year. Seemed inspiring until I later learned that he is a trust fund child of a very wealthy family. A lot of us didn't have that option coming out of college. BTW, I hate he Celtics and always have.
Love the Celtics and always have…but think you are spot on here.

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

I agree. But it is, apparently, a violation of his agreement with the Celts. It is a weird dichotomy; you get rich and famous so you are more attractive to the opposite sex but then you can't use it once you get to that level
He has free reign to use it; just not with respect to a work subordinate. He phucked up, literally.

Reactions: Obliviax
There’s also a report that the female he has this relationship with is married to a high ranking official in the Celtics organization.

• Wow
Didn't the owner of the Lakers have a consensual relationship with the coach?

Didn't the owner of the Lakers have a consensual relationship with the coach?
Jeannie Buss, the owner's daughter and eventual owner, dated Phil Jackson. (she also had an affair with Dennis Rodman, at least he claims).

Of course, that was 20 years ago before we were all woke.

As long as they don't work in your company I'm sure he'd be ok....being adulterer likely is not directly in his contract. This same thing would apply to the Box Office Manager and a window clerk.

My old man- who was a Global HR Director for a Fortune 500 Company always taught me:"You don't get your meat where you butter your bread." Unfortunately I did have a consensual relationship with a co worker when I first started in advertising in the 80s. We were the same level so there was no coercion issue...but when she dumped me for a Senior Account Executive everyone knew...and then I got moved to the office across the hall from her.

Not worth it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT