ADVERTISEMENT

Renteria to Iowa

I’m just thrilled we have another topic to entertain us through summer.

Unfortunately, although on this site I am the foremost authority on Penn State wrestling history, the Iowa board does have a couple guys who are a little more knowledgeable on Hawkeye history.
Only thing you're the foremost authority on is keyboarding obnoxiously.

Unfortunately, although on this site I am the foremost authority on Penn State wrestling history, the Iowa board does have a couple guys who are a little more knowledgeable on Hawkeye history.
As an aside, I loved your recent tweet on cartoons, etc. spot on

Unfortunately, although on this site I am overtly, the most Penn State envious wrestling fan in history, the Iowa board does have more than a few guys who are a little more envious. Sadly, even in the realm of envious of others' successes fandom I can not find a championship tee shirt

There you go. I cleaned it up for you.

Reactions: Afw6006
Hey, they already have the first, most knowledgeable and GREATEST fan base. Just ask them.

They can't hold a candle to the Penn Saint fan base. The next mistake made by anyone associated with the program will be the first. Just ask them, they will humbly reply... of course.

No inside info, but Zach's a great kid. Just a hunch. It's really baffling that he's not a higher-touted recruit. Pretty sure he's a 3x finalist, 1x champ, Fargo AA last year, UWW Cadet AA this year.
Didn't he also beat Payton Robb recently? Flo has him #4 at 182 and #32 on 2019 Big Board. So he is getting noticed. Think he was at Iowa recently for a camp and seems to be becoming friends with Kennedy. He would be a good get for any team.

It's like some fans are going in circles. Remember all the comments here when Iowa had Lee,Teasdale, Mejia, Renteria? Then Penn State loaded up with depth and some Iowa fans jumped on Cael. Now it's the opposite again. Goes both ways.

Yeah, the comments were you aren't going to able to keep them all, which was vigorously denied. Then the magical growth theory was invoked, which included Teasdale moving up to 149 by his freshman year. Don't forget the Iowa kids that had committed to Iowa before the influx.

In actuality, only one of the above wound up going to Iowa at the beginning of their career, so it would appear that this board was correct and that HR was fabulously wrong.

Reactions: nitlion6
20 titles + 4 returning champs with a combined 6 yrs of remaining eligibility = good chance of reaching 23 titles by 2020.

Hey sparky when you get to 23 National Titles you can shoot your pie hole.
Wow.
Zero NCAA team titles in the last 8 years. One runner-up trophy in that time. One Big10 Co-championship in that time.
Three team titles in the past 18 seasons, and that accomplishment required combining the top ranked recruiting classes from 2 schools.

What makes Iowa relevant in today's wrestling universe is their history, and annually that history steps closer to the definition of ancient history.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Hey sparky when you get to 23 National Titles you can shoot your pie hole.
Wow.
Zero NCAA team titles in the last 8 years. One runner-up trophy in that time. One Big10 Co-championship in that time.
Three team titles in the past 18 seasons, and that accomplishment required combining the top ranked recruiting classes from 2 schools.

What makes Iowa relevant in today's wrestling universe is their history, and annually that history steps closer to the definition of ancient history.

I know most PSU wrestling fans are pretty level headed and have been around a while but there a few that have jumped on the wagon and think wrestling game about 8 years ago. Everything is cyclical, OSU dominated before I came on to the science. Minnesota made a splash and now PSU has had a great run. I also remember Iowa raffling off 9 in a row and not too long ago had five finalists in one year. Cherry pick the last 8 years but go back over my lifetime and Iowa has dominated this sport, and will be looking to get back in top very soon.

I know most PSU wrestling fans are pretty level headed and have been around a while but there a few that have jumped on the wagon and think wrestling game about 8 years ago. Everything is cyclical, OSU dominated before I came on to the science. Minnesota made a splash and now PSU has had a great run. I also remember Iowa raffling off 9 in a row and not too long ago had five finalists in one year. Cherry pick the last 8 years but go back over my lifetime and Iowa has dominated this sport, and will be looking to get back in top very soon.
First. I did not initiate the exchange, but the until you have 23 shut up gibberish is becoming somewhat old.
Second - if the Hawkeyes have dominated in your lifetime than obviously you are older than 2 decades, because they haven't been the dominate program for 20 years.

Picking 8 years isn't cherry picking. It is a time frame long enough to give a large enough sample size. If it makes you feel better than use the 9 year Cael run at PSU. It still leaves PSU the dominant program. If you want to say the last decade, PSU is still the dominant program.
Based upon the sheer dominance of PSU's cherry picked 8 year run, PSU is the dominant program for the past 18, 19 or 20 years.
To make a case for Iowa as the most dominant program you have to retreat 30 years in time. Longer than any current team members have been alive. Now that would probably be a much better description of a cherry picked time frame.

As far as Iowa looking to reclaim the top spot very soon. Iowa has been fruitlessly seeking the path to the top for 8 years running, and always with someone else actually closer to the top as second best.

I think the Hawks should concentrate on achievable goals. Finishing second to Penn State just once should be a goal before talking about knocking the king off his throne.

Finishing second to Penn State is something Ohio State has done, as has Oklahoma State and Minnesota, all multiple times. Not once during Penn State's run has Iowa been the concern.

. Cherry pick the last 8 years but go back over my lifetime and Iowa has dominated this sport, and will be looking to get back in top very soon.
Glad you aren't as old as I am :rolleyes:, so you can cherry pick some spots.:D
@Chickenman Testa us Cowboys are generally pretty quiet about bragging about titles. We understand the cycles-your turn now, our turn later, maybe Iowa can snag one every now and then.
Amazing how in person, these type arguments are fun-but on anonymous boards, the same things being said seem so much worse.

Reactions: PSUer1989

Nah, we know wrestling began in 1975, not 8 years ago. That's why we don't count the national title PSU won in 1953 -- 22 years before Iowa won its first one.

We understand the cycles-your turn now, our turn later, maybe Iowa can snag one every now and then.
This point is harder for folks to understand than most know. You seem to understand it.

I always call them, "up years" and "down years," which few seem to grasp. Rather, during a few down years, calls to get rid of the coach for the instant "remedy" ensue, only to find that the coach goes to another school and brings them an up year. :rolleyes:

not too long ago had five finalists in one year.

Ahhh. God bless the double recruiting class which gave you two of the five finalists and having Dan Gable on staff as the "real" coach. Neither of those is happening again, so it might be a long wait.

Ahhh. God bless the double recruiting class which gave you two of the five finalists and having Dan Gable on staff as the "real" coach. Neither of those is happening again, so it might be a long wait.
You may be correct, but to me, it is obvious that TnT are doing everything they can do win another and another and another championship. Count them out at your own peril.

It seems the best course of action is to just enjoy the championships PSU is winning.

That is the one mistake I think TnT made. They did not appreciate and enjoy the championships when they won them. A lack of gratitude can come back to bite a person. They seemed ready to move on to the next challenge etc. But in my mind, there is nothing wrong with letting yourself feel good about an accomplishment. I may be reading it all wrong. JMHO

Without a double recruiting class it has been 18 years since Iowa last won a championship.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I see the Kittycats recent good fortune has them yearning to join the Big Three.

Without a double recruiting class it has been 18 years since Iowa last won a championship.
There is no such thing as a "double recruiting class", for Iowa, or any other university. All still count towards the 9.9. And if its the case of athletes following a coach from one school to a new school, they don't magically get allocated more scholarship money for their "double class".

Reactions: CentexLion
There is no such thing as a "double recruiting class", for Iowa, or any other university. All still count towards the 9.9. And if its the case of athletes following a coach from one school to a new school, they don't magically get allocated more scholarship money for their "double class".

That's one way to spin it. :rolleyes: LeClere, Slaton, Metcalf and Borschel were four VT wrestlers (actually enrolled students) who transferred to join an Iowa team that finished 4th at NCAAs the previous year. But since there is no such thing as a double recruiting class, make sure you notify your HR brethren. o_O

Reactions: Sumtinwong
I get why the idea bugs you and your fellow Hawkeye fans, but the 9.9 has nothing to do with it. At the end of the day the top recruits from a single top rated Virginia Tech recruiting class transfered to Iowa joining their respective fellow Iowa recruiting class to form the nucleus of a 3 year Iowa championship run.
Without the combination of those two classes, OSU probably claims at least 1 if not 2 of those 3, and Cornell maybe has 1.
Before the achievements of that combined (double) grouping of recruits the Hawks had gone 8 years without a championship and they haven't won anything (1 co big10) since.

Sure. By the same logic, let’s say everyone is trying to assemble the best 5-card hand of poker. Every player gets dealt 5 cards, no replacement, but one special guy gets dealt 10 cards from which he keeps the best 5. There is no “double hand” for the special guy because he ends up with only 5 cards, right? Same as everyone else! :rolleyes:

Reactions: matter7172
... one special guy gets dealt 10 cards from which he keeps the best 5. There is no “double hand” for the special guy because he ends up with only 5 cards, right? Same as everyone else! :rolleyes:
To state the obvious some more, if allowed a double recruiting class, then a coach can pay both Hoffman and Beard in the double year, and after watching them for that double year against college competition, choose which one to keep thereafter. Same with Haines and Nick Nevills. That is called “two raffle tickets are better than one”. #math

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT