ADVERTISEMENT

Renteria to Iowa

I guess I'm not following the dispute here, so could someone clue me in on the "controversy?"

Is the dispute that teams take in recruits with "questionable backgrounds/characters," or is the issue money somehow? I seem to hear both coming up in this dispute and am clueless as to what the issue is.

It's not a dispute. It's that HR has been losing their minds over the fact that PSU recruits multiple guys for weights and they have users who have admitted to calling PSU/NLWC and requesting their financial details because they believe PSU is paying kids to go there. The entire board collectively accuses Cael Sanderson of "recruiting over" guys (securing a commitment from a kid and then recruiting another kid at the same weight) and describe Cael as a bad person for doing this. They also collectively accuse PSU of cheating by paying or promising to pay kids to go to PSU and not take an athletic scholarship or to take less of a scholarship. They mock users here that say it's possible kids may take less or no money to wrestle for Cael at PSU as one option as to why they can bring in so many blue chip recruits.

Meanwhile, the Brands just secured DeSanto for 133lbs and "recruited over him" by securing Renteria. None of HR will see this as an issue because when Brands does it, it's fine. And of course ask them to explain how they can afford to offer scholarship money to both guys.

You can add this to all the other hypocritical shit they pull, like calling Cael all kinds of names for giving Andrew Long a second chance and hand waiving all of the shit PDIII did when Brands tried to get him to Iowa. And if you are not familiar with either, the rap sheet on PDIII was about 3-4 time longer than Andrew Long's.

EDIT - Also, the entire board hated DeSanto's guts up until the day they found out he was available. He went from overrated and despised to a great recruit and loved. PDIII was not much different in this regard.

Last edited:
It's not a dispute. It's that HR has been losing their minds over the fact that PSU recruits multiple guys for weights and they have users who have admitted to calling PSU/NLWC and requesting their financial details because they believe PSU is paying kids to go there. The entire board collectively accuses Cael Sanderson of "recruiting over" guys (securing a commitment from a kid and then recruiting another kid at the same weight) and describe Cael as a bad person for doing this. They also collectively accuse PSU of cheating by paying or promising to pay kids to go to PSU and not take an athletic scholarship or to take less of a scholarship. They mock users here that say it's possible kids may take less or no money to wrestle for Cael at PSU as one option as to why they can bring in so many blue chip recruits.

Meanwhile, the Brands just secured DeSanto for 133lbs and "recruited over him" by securing Renteria. None of HR will see this as an issue because when Brands does it, it's fine. And of course ask them to explain how they can afford to offer scholarship money to both guys.

You can add this to all the other hypocritical shit they pull, like calling Cael all kinds of names for giving Andrew Long a second chance and hand waiving all of the shit PDIII did when Brands tried to get him to Iowa. And if you are not familiar with either, the rap sheet on PDIII was about 3-4 time longer than Andrew Long's.

EDIT - Also, the entire board hated DeSanto's guts up until the day they found out he was available. He went from overrated and despised to a great recruit and loved. PDIII was not much different in this regard.
Ah, got it, thanks. I have to say then that I wasn't too far off from what I was able to decipher out of all of it.

Bo's move was not miraculous. Its "what we do".
oh I agree. I was pointing out the broad view point of it, from outside of championship HQ here in State College. That's how they view it, not us.

We all know, yes, that's what we do.

I forgot, who wrestled 133 last year for PSU?
dunkej01Well-Known Member
Gold Member

I find it hilarious that the "educated" posters on HR always want these wayward wrestlers without question. Lugo, Downey, DeSanto and now Renteria. Atleast two that have had issues looming and they hated them before they loved them. There is no room at the inn for Renteria but hey what the heck, the hell with loyalty to our recruits. Before the wild comparison to Kuhn and Keener is made they are not of like situation. One lost his team and the other graduated and they did not replace a recruited scholarship guy.
Keener seems more and more to just be the first off the CMU island and not the hired mercenary that was made of him last off season. Once word got back that there is life off the island they started leaving in mass.....

something not right up there

The other thing I'll add about Sqwawker fans as well is not only do they suddenly take to the guys that they derided earlier, but they are also pretty skilled at eating their own. Once someone has left Sqwawkville for another coaching job, a transfer, etc, they are merciless with that perceived "traitor."

was just replying to 21 who said Cael didn't sign transfers for points. Then explain why he signed Keener? Why would any coach with an opening not recruit someone he thought would score points? Selective memory...

Cael accepted a grad transfer who wanted to come home for his last year, and a kid whose team folded. Neither had AA credentials.

Iowa has landed 3 transfers ... Lugo, DeSantis, Renteria ... all with eligibility remaining at former schools. All with AA credentials.

One has the look of recruiting over kids, the other does not.

Cael accepted a grad transfer who wanted to come home for his last year, and a kid whose team folded. Neither had AA credentials.

Iowa has landed 3 transfers ... Lugo, DeSantis, Renteria ... all with eligibility remaining at former schools. All with AA credentials.

Lugo, Desanto, Renteria are a combined 0-4 at NCAAs. I would say they have AA potential.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule

transfers are transfers. I have nothing against transfers, let the kid go where he wants, for their own reason.

But fans cant pretend with selective criteria to satisfy their internal prejudices. Either a coach accepts transfers or not. Haven't known any that wouldnt if it helps their team in any way.

Reactions: PSUaggie
Lugo, Desanto, Renteria are a combined 0-4 at NCAAs. I would say they have AA potential.

Huh?

Renteria didn't compete at nationals ... that would make him 0-0.

DeSanto was 2-2 at NCAAs after a 26-6 true Fr season, Lugo is 4-4 after 2 tries at NCAAs and has a 63-18 career record.

So 3 tries with no AAs, they have 8 more tries.

Reactions: Bold_Crow
Huh?

DeSanto was 2-2 at NCAAs after a 26-6 true Fr season, Lugo is 4-4 after 2 tries at NCAAs and has a 63-18 career record.

4 years of eligibility burned. No AA finishes to date.

Reactions: nitlion6
Ah, got it, thanks. I have to say then that I wasn't too far off from what I was able to decipher out of all of it.
A good rule of thumb.

If this board is collectively acting like a bunch of 16 year-old drunken fools over something that is going on at Iowa that appears to be somewhat overblown, for the most part the board is just poking fun at HR for past or continuing examples of HR musings.

I think we're arguing semantics. When I say credentials, I'm referring to their resumes which would suggest AA potential.
They do have potential and that hasn't been disputed.
Mike is just saying that if AA is the desired result that so far that potential has manifested in zero accomplished results.

A good rule of thumb.

If this board is collectively acting like a bunch of 16 year-old drunken fools over something that is going on at Iowa that appears to be somewhat overblown, for the most part the board is just poking fun at HR for past or continuing examples of HR musings.

has it gotten that obvious :p;):(:eek::D:oops:s.........or maybe its happening waaaay too often because TnT have crossed off many of the HR talking points the past couple of years.

*NEW* - - - Im pretty sure I read somewhere that Tom has a BWI handle:cool:

#youguyscanguesswhichone

A good rule of thumb.

This is what happens when we don't have Spyker to kick around any more.

BRANDS WILL MAKE ALL THE TRANSFERS HATE THE SPORT !!!!

has it gotten that obvious :p;):(:eek::D:oops:s.........or maybe its happening waaaay too often because TnT have crossed off many of the HR talking points the past couple of years.

*NEW* - - - Im pretty sure I read somewhere that Tom has a BWI handle:cool:

#youguyscanguesswhichone
Their talking points have been being crossed off for a long time.
Brands owns Cael - that got crossed off long ago, and Cael seems to really enjoy running an annual line though this one.
Your personal favorite, just wait until Taylor and Ruth graduate.
Cael is such a mean person, recruiting Nevills over Haines.
Cael is soooo low, recruiting Andrew Long even with his issues just to win.

The one they haven't figured out how to cross off is the one that I personally enjoy the greatest. "Just wait until next year.":D

I'm only 4 likes away from having more likes than posts here. No way that is possible!;)
You did kind of cheat. 1880 of those likes were associated with discussions on the domestication of husband to be WildTurk and the making of and anticipated arrival of smallerWildTurk dude/dudette.;)

Huh?

Rent missed weight, that is a chance. Records before NCAA does not matter. The group is 0-4. You said they
have AA credentials, when in fact none of the 3 have reached AA.

You did kind of cheat. 1880 of those likes were associated with discussions on the domestication of husband to be WildTurk and the making of and anticipated arrival of smallerWildTurk dude/dudette.;)
You guys love me and you know it! I'm like a lovable/hateable uncle that won't go away after Christmas is over.;)

The next Turk to harass you is also a boy btw! Felt him kicking and moving in mom's belly for the first time last Saturday! Pretty cool feeling I must say. :D October wont come soon enough..

You guys love me and you know it! I'm like a lovable/hateable uncle that won't go away after Christmas is over.;)

The next Turk to harass you is also a boy btw! Felt him kicking and moving in mom's belly for the first time last Saturday! Pretty cool feeling I must say. :D October wont come soon enough..
See. You cheated and got another like.

Reactions: Gray52 and WildTurk
Mind your history, Jammies.

In 1983, Iowa had won seven of the previous eight titles. They were recruiting Royce Alger but weren't able to offer him a full ride.

"When (head coach) Dan Gable showed up at my house, I had all these full-rides from different places, and I had a half-ride at Iowa," Alger recalls. "My mom said, `Royce, you have to go for the golden ring.' I think of my mom a lot, because I came from basically a poor family, I had a full letter of intent on my table, and my mom said you have to take the golden ring, even if it's half. You will make your way."

Not ridiculous to think that someone would give up $$$ to join the best program in the land. Of course, nowadays that program is situated 800 miles to the east of Iowa City.
Yep, even with their EXTRA SCHOLARSHIPS Iowa was outta $.

Perfect timing for wrestling season too. Put him in the bassinet or boppy with the sound down and watch your beloved hawks together. He won’t be crawling off and getting into trouble

Reactions: WildTurk
I have more likes than posts over on your board. Read that again and think about it for a minute...

Not feeling so great now, are you Turk?
Coming from you? Not much to think about. Not a remotely worthy comparison. I wasn't bragging, just surprised.. love me some Hawkeyes!

Reactions: LumbeeIndian
Perfect timing for wrestling season too. Put him in the bassinet or boppy with the sound down and watch your beloved hawks together. He won’t be crawling off and getting into trouble
Heck yeah! Looking forward to it. The reality of it is starting to soak in. "So you are going to be a dad" is my latest read. I love the honesty of it. Sugar coating it helps no one..

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT