ADVERTISEMENT

Renteria to Iowa

Flying_Tiger

May 27, 2011
I don't know where to begin, lol.

How many 141s can one program have with all this over-recruiting;

Where is the money coming from, I thought they played by the rules and were tapped out yet DeSanto and now Renteria are transferring in;

Iowa's room is fast becoming the half way house of college wrestling. They should of kept PDIII around as an adviser.

Last edited:
I don't know where to begin, lol. How many 141s can one program have with all this overrecruting; Where is the money coming from, I thought they played by the rules and were tapped out yet DeSanto and now Renteria are transferring in. Iowa's room is fast becoming the half way house of college wrestling. They should of kept PDIII around as an adviser.

What’s a “Renteria?” Sounds cheap - is everything on lay-away?

Why do any of you care? All these moves "might" help them threaten for 2nd place.

It’s so comical for Iowa to point fingers at PSU, then turn around and hand out money like it’s Halloween candy. Yeah... all on the up and up, I’m sure. ;)

Reactions: diggerpup
It’s so comical for Iowa to point fingers at PSU, then turn around and hand out money like it’s Halloween candy. Yeah... all on the up and up, I’m sure. ;)
wonder if vodka is checking with the ncaa over hawk's slush fund:rolleyes:?

Good for them. If those guys all now have a place to stick around and train and get paid for it afterwards, then I'm all for it. The reason the USA is back towards the top of FS Seniors is because guys can now train and not have to try to balance a job plus training.

I obviously don't want them to win NCAA's, like, ever, but if they're going there in pursuit of World and Olympic gold, I'm all for it.

Ya’ll are trying too hard. There was money available this year that had yet to be filled from going after Hidlay and missing. Then Gunther left and more money opened up.

As for a stockpile of 141, both DeSanto and Renteria are going 133 and Murin will move up once Lugo is gone (hopefully he can hold 141 that long). But hey, don’t let facts get in the way of a nice hate fest.

Reactions: madmax1191
Ya’ll are trying too hard. There was money available this year that had yet to be filled from going after Hidlay and missing. Then Gunther left and more money opened up.
But hey, don’t let facts get in the way of a nice hate fest.

When we point out the facts in similar situations, you call PSU cheaters, and that Cael is somehow bad for the sport. When ya’ll do the exact same thing, and we call you out on the hypocrisy (not the act), we’re hating? It really is a bad look. We’ve been hearing it now for like the past 5 years, so excuse me if we hand it back to you for a week or so. Trust me, when the off-season ends, we’ll have better things to talk about... like who we didn’t poach from other teams to try and win a championship.

I called the Iowa athletic department and asked them to e-mail a breakdown of their financials to make sure everything is on the up and up. I hear it's standard procedure when this kind of recruiting happens. I left a message and I am hoping to hear back today.

As for a stockpile of 141, both DeSanto and Renteria are going 133 and Murin will move up once Lugo is gone (hopefully he can hold 141 that long). But hey, don’t let facts get in the way of a nice hate fest.
How can you have two kids at one weight? It's unprecedented. Never before done in the history of the sport of college wrestling. Two wrestlers representing one team at one weight. Talk about an advantage. It's going to be awfully hard for anyone to beat two wrestlers at one time. I think even Seth Gross or Stevan Micic will struggle, trying to beat both DeSanto and Renteria at the same time. Gotta hand it to you, you have finally got the edge you have been looking for.

Ya'll (lmfao)

I called the Iowa athletic department and asked them to e-mail a breakdown of their financials to make sure everything is on the up and up. I hear it's standard procedure when this kind of recruiting happens. I left a message and I am hoping to hear back today.

Hey. That's Vodka's job.

Reactions: Ski
How can you have two kids at one weight? It's unprecedented. Never before done in the history of the sport of college wrestling. Two wrestlers representing one team at one weight. Talk about an advantage. It's going to be awfully hard for anyone to beat two wrestlers at one time. I think even Seth Gross or Stevan Micic will struggle, trying to beat both DeSanto and Renteria at the same time. Gotta hand it to you, you have finally got the edge you have been looking for.

Tag team match obviously. Really surprised Cael didn’t try it with Cassar, Rasheed and Mccutcheon last year. Could have done one each period.

But seriously, I get it that you guys have taken some flak on this issue in some cases without merit. Just trying to add context in this situation.

I don't care about the money. I've just lost a lot of respect for the Brans brothers for recruiting over guys that he just recruited over with. It's disappointing, really, considering HR led me to believe that they were the epitome of class and Cael was the devil for even giving the appearance of having recruited over someone.

#sadanddisappointed
#whocanyoulookuptothesedays
#justkiddingtoshowhowridiculousHRis

Tag team match obviously. Really surprised Cael didn’t try it with Cassar, Rasheed and Mccutcheon last year. Could have done one each period.

But seriously, I get it that you guys have taken some flak on this issue in some cases without merit. Just trying to add context in this situation.

Tag Team would at least change the stupid push out rule!

It's like some fans are going in circles. Remember all the comments here when Iowa had Lee,Teasdale, Mejia, Renteria? Then Penn State loaded up with depth and some Iowa fans jumped on Cael. Now it's the opposite again. Goes both ways.

It's like some fans are going in circles. Remember all the comments here when Iowa had Lee,Teasdale, Mejia, Renteria? Then Penn State loaded up with depth and some Iowa fans jumped on Cael. Now it's the opposite again. Goes both ways.

Outside of Andrew Long, Cael has not signed transfers for the explicit purpose of points. That's the main difference here between Ohio State's team last year, and the Penn State approach. It appears that Iowa has indeed taken that approach this season that Ohio State took last season. It worked out quite well for Ohio State, were it not for a miraculous move by Bo Nickal, Ohio State may well have won that championship. I don't believe Iowa makes it quite as close, but who knows, these transfers might pan out like Ryan's did last year.

Edit: Campbell didn't pan out.

I guess I'm not following the dispute here, so could someone clue me in on the "controversy?"

Is the dispute that teams take in recruits with "questionable backgrounds/characters," or is the issue money somehow? I seem to hear both coming up in this dispute and am clueless as to what the issue is.

Reactions: nitlion6
Outside of Andrew Long, Cael has not signed transfers for the explicit purpose of points. That's the main difference here between Ohio State's team last year, and the Penn State approach. It appears that Iowa has indeed taken that approach this season that Ohio State took last season. It worked out quite well for Ohio State, were it not for a miraculous move by Bo Nickal, Ohio State may well have won that championship. I don't believe Iowa makes it quite as close, but who knows, these transfers might pan out like Ryan's did last year.

I forgot, who wrestled 133 last year for PSU?

With the new transfer rules some guys will roll in who won't be so easy to forget. They'll come to win titles,that's what they do here.
was just replying to 21 who said Cael didn't sign transfers for points. Then explain why he signed Keener? Why would any coach with an opening not recruit someone he thought would score points? Selective memory...

Reactions: minnhawkeye
All their guys are wrestling for free because they love the coach so much. Sound familiar?

Mind your history, Jammies.

In 1983, Iowa had won seven of the previous eight titles. They were recruiting Royce Alger but weren't able to offer him a full ride.

"When (head coach) Dan Gable showed up at my house, I had all these full-rides from different places, and I had a half-ride at Iowa," Alger recalls. "My mom said, `Royce, you have to go for the golden ring.' I think of my mom a lot, because I came from basically a poor family, I had a full letter of intent on my table, and my mom said you have to take the golden ring, even if it's half. You will make your way."

Not ridiculous to think that someone would give up $$$ to join the best program in the land. Of course, nowadays that program is situated 800 miles to the east of Iowa City.

Last edited:

Bo's move was not miraculous. Its "what we do".

In 1983, Iowa had won seven of the previous eight titles. They were recruiting Royce Alger but weren't able to offer him a full ride.

"When (head coach) Dan Gable showed up at my house, I had all these full-rides from different places, and I had a half-ride at Iowa," Alger recalls. "My mom said, `Royce, you have to go for the golden ring.' I think of my mom a lot, because I came from basically a poor family, I had a full letter of intent on my table, and my mom said you have to take the golden ring, even if it's half. You will make your way."

Not ridiculous to think that someone would give up $$$ to join the best program in the land. Of course, nowadays that program is situated 800 miles to the east of Iowa City.
800 miles east of Iowa City, but still midwest.:)

The interview I heard a few weeks ago with Royce on Mat Talk, he said he had no athletic scholarship from Iowa, but that Iowa found him an Academic Scholarship. But it converted to an Athletic one, once he got to the room and starting winning. I'll see if I can dig that podcast up, but it was very interesting.

All their guys are wrestling for free because they love the coach so much. Sound familiar?

Sounds like the goofs need to reevaluate because paying for love is illegal in most parts of the country

ADVERTISEMENT