ADVERTISEMENT

Remember our unfavorable reaction to when Joe told us to lower our expectations? Well,........

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
although CJF will likely never say this, he must be thinking it, and I think we better lower our expectations, or we'll continue to be very disappointed. Others have said this even before the UM game, but I didn't want to believe them. That is that we are just an "Average or Mediocre" team right now. None of us want to ever think of a Penn State football team as being just average, but WE ARE.....and AVERAGE PENN STATE team. Therefore, we need to try to embrace the players and the coaches and hope they can improve from week to week and hopefully become a Good team by year's end or next season.The reality is that we are very young with only 1 senior starting player on each side of the ball right now. All 3 of our starting LB's are injured, and our OL line still is not even average yet. CJF is working with 1 hand behind his back when playing the better teams due to these obstacles, yet we still want to blame him for everything yet (including me). I now see I must lower my expectations or my wife will need to admit me into an insane asylum by seasons end. I therefore will give CJF 2 more years to bring us out of mediocrity. It is tough, but what else can I / We do?

Reactions: PSU65
I still can't find where Joe said that. Can you please link it for me? TIA

As soon as I'm told to "embrace" something, I tune out because whatever it is generally ain't worth it. Rapidly becoming the most overused, misused word in the language.
Art, can you find me a good life coach. Whole lotta embracin' goin' on. Especially failure. Just google "embracing failure." It's amazing. Ways to embrace it. Reasons for embracing it. Blah Blah Woof Woof.

Reactions: Mixolydian and Art
Art, can you find me a good life coach. Whole lotta embracin' goin' on. Especially failure. Just google "embracing failure." It's amazing. Ways to embrace it. Reasons for embracing it. Blah Blah Woof Woof.

LOL.

As soon as I'm told to "embrace" something, I tune out because whatever it is generally ain't worth it. Rapidly becoming the most overused, misused word in the language.
Add -- icon, awesome, epic, crafted, clearly -- for a start.

giphy.gif

although CJF will likely never say this, he must be thinking it, and I think we better lower our expectations, or we'll continue to be very disappointed. Others have said this even before the UM game, but I didn't want to believe them. That is that we are just an "Average or Mediocre" team right now. None of us want to ever think of a Penn State football team as being just average, but WE ARE.....and AVERAGE PENN STATE team. Therefore, we need to try to embrace the players and the coaches and hope they can improve from week to week and hopefully become a Good team by year's end or next season.The reality is that we are very young with only 1 senior starting player on each side of the ball right now. All 3 of our starting LB's are injured, and our OL line still is not even average yet. CJF is working with 1 hand behind his back when playing the better teams due to these obstacles, yet we still want to blame him for everything yet (including me). I now see I must lower my expectations or my wife will need to admit me into an insane asylum by seasons end. I therefore will give CJF 2 more years to bring us out of mediocrity. It is tough, but what else can I / We do?
This is another one of Joe's quotes being taken out of context. Joe told us to lower our expectations about the upcoming year 2000 season. Nothing more or less.

Reactions: tomfleet
I think that I'll embrace that philosophy as well.

I think what ticked people off in the past when Joe made that insinuation (relative to the current state), the program really had no excuse for falling behind or only contending every 4 years.

In the here and now, we are quite clearly rebuilding a situation that was unprecedented. If you were expecting 9 or 10 wins this year you were probably living in a utopia where everything that could have conceivably gone well for PSU would. No setbacks in new system. No injuries. Lots of bounces of the ball. WRs making every catch instead of letting a ball or two slip through their fingers.

Funny thing is Saban busted out that same line to Bama fans a few years ago. Winning cures all, but it helps when you have all of the Jimmy and Joe's first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT