ADVERTISEMENT

Relocating Near Hershey Advice

BRETTPSU

Sep 18, 2002
My daughter is graduating PSU Nursing next month. Already accepted a job offer from PSU Milton Hershey Medical Center starting in July. When she did her one year at Hershey Medical in fall 2020/spring 2021 everything was shutdown from Covid and it left a taste in her mouth that Hershey night life is rather dull and they was also locked down for the entire time. Her future roommate/co-worker thinks she wants to live in Lancaster for a better nightlife environment. My main concern is for her to live in a safe area but I do want her to have fun while still young. Any suggestions for areas to live that would be within 20-25 minutes of Hershey and have a decent night life but safe?

Reactions: NedFromYork
Lancaster does have a great restaurant and nightlife But that commute from Lancaster to Hershey Would add to an already long day. I’ve always thought nightlife in central Pennsylvania is kind of average at best. I don’t think living closer to Harrisburg is the solution, and if it was my daughter, I would tell her that the drive from Lancaster to Hershey, would get old. Has she ruled living in Hershey out?

Lancaster to Hershey Med is 30+ miles and can take 40 to 45 minutes or more depending on time of day.

Suburban East Shore areas of Harrisburg are within 10 to 12 miles; it's been a long time since I lived in that area, so I'll defer on the night life, but should be some choices.

**note to add -- probably some of the best info on this topic could come from young co-workers at the Med Center; encourage your daughter and her future roommate to ask around

Last edited:
Congrats on your daughter graduating! Also many thanks to her for continuing in the field after everything that has gone down during the pandemic.

I'd echo Delco's statement that "nightlife" in that neck of the woods is pretty meh. She may need to be happy with doing weekend trips to DC / Baltimore / Philly etc. but that also depends on what kind of "nightlife" she's looking for.

My idea was for her to live very close to Hershey and Uber or have a DD for the night life portion but what do I know.

Thanks for the replies and I'll forward what you said Plan. Wife is also a RN, which the pandemic took it's toll on her and many others in the health field.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
As mentioned, the best sources would be other young nurses living in Central PA and working at the Med Center. I would think she knows nurses that spent that year in clinical with her and others who worked with her in 2020/2021. My girlfriend is a nurse and they are all on Snapchat and group text together. My guess is that she already knows the answers to this. The opportunities are going to be limited on where she can live and be exposed to decent restaurants and nightlife. The Lancaster scene really is the best in central PA.

Reactions: BRETTPSU
As a new nurse shouldn't she be worried about "morning" life for the first few years? ;)

Not sure what she considers "nightlife", but maybe she ought to stay in Hershey (right down town) so she can walk to the shops, bars, and restaurants now that covid restrictions have been eliminated. There's a Days Inn right on Chocolate Avenue in downtown. I'd suggest she stay Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights (all 3 in a row) when the weather forecast looks good.

Something to be said about feeling completely safe where you live. However, if Hershey doesn't feel right after a test run than perhaps she should decide where to live and get a job near that location. Nurses are in great demand so she could easily make this happen. Long commutes eat at your soul.

As mentioned, the best sources would be other young nurses living in Central PA and working at the Med Center. I would think she knows nurses that spent that year in clinical with her and others who worked with her in 2020/2021. My girlfriend is a nurse and they are all on Snapchat and group text together. My guess is that she already knows the answers to this. The opportunities are going to be limited on where she can live and be exposed to decent restaurants and nightlife. The Lancaster scene really is the best in central PA.
Yes all the other nurses and managers she done clinical with have planted the Lancaster seed. I just worry the drive will become a serious burden after some time. Is Annie Bailey's still around? Been 10 years or so since I've been there but that was a great place.

My daughter is graduating PSU Nursing next month. Already accepted a job offer from PSU Milton Hershey Medical Center starting in July. When she did her one year at Hershey Medical in fall 2020/spring 2021 everything was shutdown from Covid and it left a taste in her mouth that Hershey night life is rather dull and they was also locked down for the entire time. Her future roommate/co-worker thinks she wants to live in Lancaster for a better nightlife environment. My main concern is for her to live in a safe area but I do want her to have fun while still young. Any suggestions for areas to live that would be within 20-25 minutes of Hershey and have a decent night life but safe?
Commute on both ends of a 12+ hour workday to consider. Want to live in Lancaster? - work at Lancaster General.

Commute on both ends of a 12+ hour workday to consider. Want to live in Lancaster? - work at Lancaster General.
Possibly down the road but this job has some grad school perks and special training. They only offer 4 of these each year for new BSN grads and come with a contract.

Reactions: lionbacker
Elizabethtown (down 743 from Hershey) not too bad a commute. Easy access to 283 to Lancaster, if needed. Elizabethtown is a small college town and your daughter is young enough there may be to night spots there that appeal to her...really don't know myself. Rent may be less than Hershey as well....gotta love the Hershey (Derry township) $500 occupation tax if you earn over 15K annually.

Reactions: BRETTPSU and royboy
Disclaimer: I live in Hummelstown and have two kids and try to avoid night life as much as possible.

With that being said, if she’s single she will have no problem finding fun. I have friends and family that work at HMC and the stories they tell me about what the single “kids” get into never ends.

1. Hershey has great concerts year round and hockey at the Giant Center. Get a season pass for Hershey park. Pays for it after three trips.

2. Is she into outdoorsy stuff? Good hiking and kayaking around here.

3. There are various breweries and wineries and on any nice Saturday at Spring Gate Vineyard is the sight to be seen for young folk.

4. Have her look at joining the Harrisburg Young Professionals. They used to have all kinds of activities for young working professionals.

5. Good access to surrounding bigger cities for weekend trips.

I'm in my early 30s and own a house in Midtown HBG. Hershey night life is dull. Lancaster would be the top choice, but the midtown area of Harrisburg is definitely improving (there is a lot being built there over the next 3 yrs. The federal courthouse is doing a lot for the area. A decent number of good bands also regularly come - The struts, young the giant, Lord Huron, Portugal the Man, Of Monsters and Men, and bunch more have played here in the past 2 years. Harrisburg University brings great music to the small city).

Stay away from parts of Allison Hill and Uptown and safety isn't an issue. It may be worth considering

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I live in Hummelstown and have two kids and try to avoid night life as much as possible.

With that being said, if she’s single she will have no problem finding fun. I have friends and family that work at HMC and the stories they tell me about what the single “kids” get into never ends.

1. Hershey has great concerts year round and hockey at the Giant Center. Get a season pass for Hershey park. Pays for it after three trips.

2. Is she into outdoorsy stuff? Good hiking and kayaking around here.

3. There are various breweries and wineries and on any nice Saturday at Spring Gate Vineyard is the sight to be seen for young folk.

4. Have her look at joining the Harrisburg Young Professionals. They used to have all kinds of activities for young working professionals.

5. Good access to surrounding bigger cities for weekend trips.
I live in the area and this is pretty spot on. I think Hershey would be a great place to live.

Colonial Park has lots of apartment townhouses. Its a quick uber to downtown Hbg clubs and short commute to hershey.

My idea was for her to live very close to Hershey and Uber or have a DD for the night life portion but what do I know.

Thanks for the replies and I'll forward what you said Plan. Wife is also a RN, which the pandemic took it's toll on her and many others in the health field.
Hershey has a "new" free car service, Sweet Ride that also delivers food from select restaurants/venues. It has some limited hours, but at least worth exploring.

My daughter is a recent PSU grad and is a community planner. She highly recommends Walkscore to explore any potential neighborhoods, including commuting times and options, as well as walkability.

Congrats to your daughter and many thanks to your wife for all she's doing.

45 minute commute is not bad ... especially if she is carpooling, which it sounds like is a possibility.
What? 45 minutes is 1.5 hours per work day gone...puff. She should live within a 20 minutes of her workplace. Preferably less. The girl is 21-22 years old. Walking or biking to work is ideal and when weather turns bad she could drive.

Another vote for Elizabethtown. Safer town than Lancaster or Harrisburg. Located 20 minutes from Harrisburg, Lancaster, Hershey, and Mt Gretna, which is a great little town. Lititz is also a great little town that is also about 20 minutes away

Hershey gets to be a bit crazy during tourist season. Lots of traffic, especially in the downtown area. Lititz is a cool town in the downtown area. A bit more artsy but still not much nightlife.

E-town is not a bad choice. Easy access to Harrisburg and Lancaster via 4 lane. Close to the rail to trail that spans Lancaster and Lebanon counties. A couple of brewpubs in town, and a club on the outskirts. Some decent restaurants nearby. A much easier commute than Lancaster.

Sorry in advance but I just gotta point out the hilarity of asking where the good night life is for a 20 something on a board where the average age of posters has historically been north of 60 - thoroughly impressed though.

MSIn.gif

Sorry in advance but I just gotta point out the hilarity of asking where the good night life is for a 20 something on a board where the average age of posters has historically been north of 60 - thoroughly impressed though.

MSIn.gif
You don't think they have grandkids that know the Hershey night life? ;)

If you are going to work MSHMC, then my advice is to live within 15 mile radius, i.e., Harrisburg (except Allison Hill or Uptown) & suburbs, Hershey, Hummelstown, or Elizabethtown. As far as living in Lancaster, be VERY careful of the neighborhood that you choose -- a word to the wise is sufficient. Lived in Lower Paxton Twp. for 20 years; had relative easy access to all the nightlife we wanted at some fine bars/restaurants on the East and West shore.

If you want to live near the action (nightlife), checkout the suburbs of Lancaster and look at careers at Lancaster General.

Remember a long commute is even longer in bad weather. Once took 3 hours go go from downtown Harrisburg (near the Forum) to LPT about 5 miles. Just think of driving US 283 from Hershey to Lancaster -- ugh!

Reactions: psu00
@BRETTPSU Did your daughter end up picking a place yet? Curious to know if she decided to stay local or do the longer commute.

Just my thought here is that the daughter is viewing this through the eyes of a college kid. Perhaps you could suggest that she's likely going to mature in her concept of entertainment. She's going to work and make friends with more mature people who have a different idea of fun than going clubbing. She will likely grow out of the clubbing phase and to appreciate the entertainment available close to Hershey more as she acclimates to real adult life, maybe finds a serious boyfriend, settles down, starts a family, etc.

Reactions: blmr31 and BRETTPSU
@BRETTPSU Did your daughter end up picking a place yet? Curious to know if she decided to stay local or do the longer commute.
Mom and dad did not win this battle. She will be living in Lancaster with some other nurses from her class. We can typically manipulate her to come around to our ideas but not this time.

Mom and dad did not win this battle. She will be living in Lancaster with some other nurses from her class. We can typically manipulate her to come around to our ideas but not this time.
If she's into the country and western nightlife, Lancaster is her place.

Beware the route 30 corridor and biker joints.

Good for her! If she wants to spend her 20s in central PA (questionable), then Lancaster or Midtown Harrisburg are definitely the top choices. She has many years ahead of her to live in quieter places like Hershey. Let her enjoy this stage and let's not rush into the next stage.

Lancaster to Hershey is a pretty average commute in the larger picture. She should live where she will enjoy the nonworking hours of her life at this stage

Unacceptable. She should be grounded.

Reactions: AvgUser
ADVERTISEMENT