ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting tidbit... truly astounding

You mean like Yurcich?
I'm not sure I follow.

I never said ALL assistants stay several years. That never happens at any program, ever. But the core of their staff has remained in place for 4-5+ years now.

Yurcich was a passing game coordinator for one year at OSU before taking a promo to be an OC at a blue blood program. And even at OSU, he wasn't calling the plays. He was the QB coach, but Ryan Day was very much the guy running the show on offense.

Yes, but in your previous example, you're saying money (and/or "benefits") was the deciding factor for a recruit that everyone expected to sign with PSU. And everyone lost their shit when he didn't. Agree or disagree?

This is kind of what we've been up against with a few programs in head-to-head recruiting battles, and not just the usual suspects. Not sure if we should feel more or less at ease with these new NIL rules in place.

Either way, winning solves everything, but that's a never-ending debate about what comes first -- the chicken or the egg.

Not sure in which category it would fall, but it certainly wasn't an outright payment of cash. It might not have qualified as a violation. And the recruit wasn't going to PSU regardless

Yes, but in your previous example, you're saying money (and/or "benefits") was the deciding factor for a recruit that everyone expected to sign with PSU. And everyone lost their shit when he didn't. Agree or disagree?

This is kind of what we've been up against with a few programs in head-to-head recruiting battles, and not just the usual suspects. Not sure if we should feel more or less at ease with these new NIL rules in place.

Either way, winning solves everything, but that's a never-ending debate about what comes first -- the chicken or the egg.
Our players need more friends like Chase Young had that paid for his girlfriend to fly to the bowl game on an all expense trip. Of course his punishment was a slap on the wrist and 3 games rest before playing us. Of course he paid it back so all was good. Nothing to see over there.

Our players need more friends like Chase Young had that paid for his girlfriend to fly to the bowl game on an all expense trip. Of course his punishment was a slap on the wrist and 3 games rest before playing us. Of course he paid it back so all was good. Nothing to see over there.
I think that's why they are so willing to up their ante in the 2022 class. There is no penalty for impermissible benefits particularly when you have people embedded at the right places in the NCAA. Ohio St knows that they can buy whoever they want with whatever they want, money of any amount, prostitution, SUVs, tattoos, upscale apartments, etc. All are things that we know Ohio St has been caught providing over recent years. I can only imagine the 90+ % that they manage to keep out of public knowledge. No serious penalties.

So without any risk of being penalized and that risk decreasing every year, now we see Ohio St buying players at an ever-increasing rate. The good news is that these elite recruits will simply go to the highest bidder, so if they don't get what they want at Ohio St, they'll simply move on. We're already starting to see that with what like 3 top WRs portaling this past season. That's only going to increase there as more top 100 recruits are recruited over and unhappy that they took chump change but won't be getting the playing time and exposure that will get them to the real NFL draft payday. It will create an interesting dynamic. I mean, when you have a WR leaving your program to likely start immediately at Alabama then anyone can leave at any time.

My prediction for Ohio St, they will get to keep most of the cream of the crop of the top 100 guys that they recruit because they will get the playing time, exposure, and continued monetary payments. But the next tier isn't going to wait around after they've been beat out by a kid in the class behind them. So those top 100 recruits (like we are seeing already at WR for them) will move on to better opportunities. This may mean a revolving door and lack of continuity but some truly elite players at many positions. At some point it is likely to result in some serious locker room issues. Player X is getting more than player Y. So and so is getting more reps but less money. These are paid 18 - 23 year olds with no rules on the payments and over-sized egos.

ADVERTISEMENT