ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting - prediction?

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
I'm guessing we finish with the number 7 class when all is said and done. Top 6: OSU, Alabama, USC, Miami, Texas, Clemson ???

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I think a Top 5 class is very possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burb
We will need some of our high 3 stars to become 4 stars.
Not under the Rivals ratings. Rivals only takes the top 20 recruits and we already have 17 four stars. If we get 3 more four stars to finish out our class, we will have 20 four star recruits making up the 20 that count towards our rankings. Having one of the three stars increased to a four star which results in 21 four stars in our class adds nothing to our ranking unless they become ranked in the Rivals Top 250 (or to whatever number they rank players).

What is the reason Rivals doesn't have Shorter as a 5 star? New ratings not out yet?

What is the reason Rivals doesn't have Shorter as a 5 star? New ratings not out yet?
Ryan said something recently that is kind of ominous: he thinks Shorter remains a 4star. I think it's based on discussions he's had with his Rivals colleagues. Shorter will at least jump to a 6.0 4star.

The specific ranking number is meaningless. The bottom line is any team considered to be within the Top 10 has done a great job of recruiting. The real key is what the coaching staffs do with the recruits once they get them on campus.
So I could not care less if the player is a 4* or a 5*. Still the same player no matter how many stars are attached to their name. And bumping up the number of stars on a player doesn't make him better. Coaching will make him better.

The specific ranking number is meaningless. The bottom line is any team considered to be within the Top 10 has done a great job of recruiting. The real key is what the coaching staffs do with the recruits once they get them on campus.
So I could not care less if the player is a 4* or a 5*. Still the same player no matter how many stars are attached to their name. And bumping up the number of stars on a player doesn't make him better. Coaching will make him better.

Exactly. CJF's track record so far at PSU is that he a very good evaluator of talent. So what excites me about his recruiting is when he gets commits and brings to PSU the players that are his top choices, that have resulted from his and his staff's evaluations. In the first couple of his classes he missed out on some players and down the stretch filled the class with some of what at the time were considered 2nd choices. But even in those situations, CJF is also a great contingency planner. Just like when he loses an assistant, he has a great list of candidates to fill a vacancy in in staff. He obviously builds relationships with players that he could approach late in the cycle as he did with for example Kevin Givens. And his same evaluation ability resulted in him finding a very good player in Givens late in the cycle.

The fact that he is filling the 2018 class with first choice candidates is what excites me about the class. Obviously the fact that the great majority of these players have offers from other successful coaches is some confirmation of their talent. But at this point it would not surprise me if some of the lower rated players in the class (Gordon, Katshir, Levis,...), most of which CJF offered very early in the cycle, turn out to be as good or better players at PSU compared to the players nationally recognized.

If CJF loves them, GregInPitt loves them!!!!

I'm guessing we finish with the number 7 class when all is said and done. Top 6: OSU, Alabama, USC, Miami, Texas, Clemson ???

Clemson won't pass us. They will only sign around 16 recruits. PSU's point total right now would put the in the top 6-9 most years. I still think we'll finish in the top 5.

Reactions: bmw199

Sounds about right. A few schools will pass PSU because they have more spots remaining to give. Not many though. PSU will certainly remain in the top 10. I think PSU will stay in the top 4 or 5 if they get Parsons.

Reactions: JoeFi and bmw199
I am not a star gazer. I am thrilled with our class, and hope we get Walker, Parsons and another DL. Won't care about the rankings, I like our group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT