ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

That’s odd to say the least but I’m sure the even younger kids looking up to him.

Would love to see how he does if he’s devoted to wrestling. Hasn’t been a year round guy ever. Seems to love football so could see him giving that another shot somewhere.

Reactions: TheGLOV
On FRL they thought that may have been the issue. Promised a full ride, got zero $ from either team.
He arrived on campus and the Athletic Department handed him a single token for his full ride: :)

Buckskin%20Champion.jpg

Last edited:
On FRL they thought that may have been the issue. Promised a full ride, got zero $ from either team.

I guess that's kind of where my thinking was headed. I was thinking if he did have a football scholarship, it is the time of the year where coaches have their evaluation reviews with players. Maybe his scholarship situation changed. Can't imagine what out of state tuition costs at Michigan. All speculative, of course.

Reactions: Wilco43
He said Michigan offered him at a visit but he wasn’t listed on any of their list of recruits and the Michigan sites said walk on. Maybe got some money for wrestling but then as soon as he entered a football game that would’ve turned to a 100% football scholarship.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I can't see how. But folks were saying that. Maybe he lucked into one on signing day?

He is not listed as a commit on the 247 page for Michigan. He was a low 3-star RB, much lower than Michigan's lowest ranked guy they took in that class. It appears as if he was a walk-on at Michigan.

He is not listed as a commit on the 247 page for Michigan. He was a low 3-star RB, much lower than Michigan's lowest ranked guy they took in that class. It appears as if he was a walk-on at Michigan.

Well, that is what just about everyone thought...including me. I have access to the same data you do. He was much higher ranked as a wrestler. But there were people who SWORE he was getting a scholarship. If it was a wrestling scholarship, I believe it still counts against the football numbers. So in essence it's a football scholarship. I think they do that to discourage cheating...football stashing kids on other teams USING their scholarships. In the old days, the rumor was Bear Bryant used Swim team scholarships for football.

Well, that is what just about everyone thought...including me. I have access to the same data you do. He was much higher ranked as a wrestler. But there were people who SWORE he was getting a scholarship. If it was a wrestling scholarship, I believe it still counts against the football numbers. So in essence it's a football scholarship. I think they do that to discourage cheating...football stashing kids on other teams USING their scholarships. In the old days, the rumor was Bear Bryant used Swim team scholarships for football.

I remember during his recruitment he was very much considered a top level wrestling prospect and a very average football prospect who really wanted to pursue football. Unfortunately for him the the situation he was in regarding scholarship money/wrestling is that the football program actually had an incentive to NOT play him even for one down if it meant tying up an 85.

Reactions: ptomaselli
Why can't or kids have a tourney schedule like that? Wow. By the time they get to States they will be more than battle tested.... that is, assuming they aren't injured.
Travel budget.

Also, let's be honest -- star power. The year after Marsteller graduated, Kennard-Dale suddenly wasn't going to the big tourneys.

And, yes, injury risk. The days of a Josh Kindig winning 55 matches in a year are over.

First off, I love the Haines commitment. His work ethic and attitude really yell high ceiling. With that being said, I've been looking at diceman's spreadsheet and wanted to throw out a few names to see what others peoples thoughts, opinions, guesses on where they might go. I'll put them in tiers of guys that I PERSONALLY would really like to see on the roster. I'm only using names that are currently on the spreadsheet. The names will be in tiers as previously mentioned by weight, not preference.

Tier 1
Mcgowan
Bouzakis
Gibson
Chittum
Arnold
Rogers

Tier 2
Simcox
Welsh
Berge
Franklin

Tier 3
Kilkeary
Church
Williams brothers
Lear
Pitzer

Stout commits to Pitt. Kid is a hammer. Strong as an ox, good tank, and probably the best of the 3 brothers. He would have been a tier 1 guy for me, but we can't get them all. I really like everyone diceman has put on the sheet. The tiers basically got split up by guys projected at the same weight, as well as young guys we already have either already in the line up, or about to be. I'm sure some of you may view things a little differently, or may have a few names to add. Again, these were names I only pulled from the sheet.

Reactions: Rhino80
Lear is interesting from your Tier 3. Kid is elite defensively. If he could add elite offense in the PSU room he could be a freak. I suspect he'll probably end up at Lehigh/Lock Haven etc.

Reactions: Junglekitty
I think Pitzer is going to be a multiple time all American wherever he ends up. Under the radar monster recruit.

First off, I love the Haines commitment. His work ethic and attitude really yell high ceiling. With that being said, I've been looking at diceman's spreadsheet and wanted to throw out a few names to see what others peoples thoughts, opinions, guesses on where they might go. I'll put them in tiers of guys that I PERSONALLY would really like to see on the roster. I'm only using names that are currently on the spreadsheet. The names will be in tiers as previously mentioned by weight, not preference.

Tier 1
Mcgowan
Bouzakis
Gibson
Chittum
Arnold
Rogers

Tier 2
Simcox
Welsh
Berge
Franklin

Tier 3
Kilkeary
Church
Williams brothers
Lear
Pitzer

Stout commits to Pitt. Kid is a hammer. Strong as an ox, good tank, and probably the best of the 3 brothers. He would have been a tier 1 guy for me, but we can't get them all. I really like everyone diceman has put on the sheet. The tiers basically got split up by guys projected at the same weight, as well as young guys we already have either already in the line up, or about to be. I'm sure some of you may view things a little differently, or may have a few names to add. Again, these were names I only pulled from the sheet.
I like McGowan, Chittum, Arnold and Rodgers. I am guessing Mcgowan, Arnold and Rogers are the 3 most likely PSU targets. Just a hunch based on needs at those weights :) I would completely love to put Mendez on that list due extreme personal bias :)

Reactions: Junglekitty

It was actually because of Miami. When they were in sanctions Butch Jones got around it by having players like Santana Moss on track scholarships. I’m sure Bama did it but Miami is what brought the NCAA to evaluate it. I guess others teams that mattered complained enough to get the NCAA to review it. Normally the NCAA moves like a glacier so it had to be the big boys complaining that Miami got back to speed too quick.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I like McGowan, Chittum, Arnold and Rodgers. I am guessing Mcgowan, Arnold and Rogers are the 3 most likely PSU targets. Just a hunch based on needs at those weights :) I would completely love to put Mendez on that list due extreme personal bias :)
I had this typed in my original post, and then deleted it out of respect to the kids, but I have to ask now. If everyone on the list said they wanted to attend, but you could only take one, who would it be. I mean no disrespect to any recruit I mentioned, just a little fun game.

ADVERTISEMENT