ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

David Carr's brother Nate Jr is part of LHU's staff. David has been inside the M2 building and the Lorenzo center rolling around with Blue and White guys more than once or twice.
No, his centre county visit means nothing more than a family visit.
It would be nice though.

Bassett is really, really good but what Mineo doesn’t seem to understand (or refuses to acknowledge) is the two state champs he just teched are likely only a year older than Bo (both are freshmen).
Even if they were all the same age, or Bo was 2 years older, these results are impressive. He’s little brothering State champions from 2 of the best wrestling states in the country.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Clearly you have never been to Texas :)
Or to Pennsylvania. OTOH, Teasdale and Jaret Lane were both on the older side in high school and certainly aren't the only examples.

Regardless, the NJ state champ that Bassett teched is highly ranked nationally at 106. Even if Bassett is exactly the same age, it's still a tremendous result.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Or to Pennsylvania. OTOH, Teasdale and Jaret Lane were both on the older side in high school and certainly aren't the only examples.

Regardless, the NJ state champ that Bassett teched is highly ranked nationally at 106. Even if Bassett is exactly the same age, it's still a tremendous result.
It is, but stating the grade but not mentioning the age is a bit disingenuous.

Typical freshman are 14 and possibly turn 15 before the school.year ends. He was definitely held back at least one year. Does this happen a lot in wrestling? It seems strange to hold a kid back in school for athletic purposes.
Tell that to Southern Columbia. I'm not sure about wrestling there but I know it happens in football.

Wrestlers who are too small for 106 get held back fairly often. I believe RBY did the same thing.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
A lot of kids are held back. It’s a big decision and sacrifice for the parents. If they want to do it I don’t see the downside. It’s legal and by the rules. It’s fair. At the same time there is nothing wrong with pointing it out. When someone says “oh my god he’s a 7th grader beating 9th graders”. Well he could be an 8th grader. Well that is also impressive.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Why don’t we just have all kids start one year later?

Actually, better yet, let’s start them all two years later?

Wait, if we start them 10 years later then the percent difference between the oldest and youngest in the class will be about 1/3 of what it is currently. Winner!

Last edited:
Why don’t we just have all kids start one year later?

Actually, better yet, let’s start them all two years later?

Wait, if we start them 10 years later then the percent difference between the oldest and youngest in the class will be about 1/2 of what it is currently. Winner!
Ask any Philadelphia Eagles fan what he thinks about 26-yo first round pick Danny Watkins.

Or better yet, don't.

It’s simple. There is an age limit in the PIAA. However close you get to it doesn’t matter if you are eligible. Also is Bassett gets drafted by the Eagles he can deal with their fans at that point.

My solution comes with the interesting dynamic that if you extend it any further, the younger kids in the class actually begin to have a marginal advantage. I think we’ve now established that starting K at 15 is about right.

Reactions: nitlion6
A lot of kids are held back. It’s a big decision and sacrifice for the parents. If they want to do it I don’t see the downside. It’s legal and by the rules. It’s fair. At the same time there is nothing wrong with pointing it out. When someone says “oh my god he’s a 7th grader beating 9th graders”. Well he could be an 8th grader. Well that is also impressive.
They can always say a 14 year old is beating a 15 year old - much clearer comparison

Regardless of his grade level, he seems like a talented kid whose working his tail off to get better. And he appears to be destroying older kids.

Reactions: nitlion6
Strittmatter is going to be a problem when the time rolls around in 4 years. Meantime let's go ahead and beat Iowa for the next 4 years until they get Spencer volume 2.

Reactions: Goathead88
Honestly - the only YG kid we went all in for and didn't get is Spencer. Brands himself even admitted getting Spencer was a huge sigh of relief since PSU was kicking their asses on the trail and there is "no prize for 2nd place" in recruiting (I think he was thinking about Nolf when he said that). Iowa's YG kids besides Spencer are Young, Murin, Kemerer ... all of them we were set at their weights for at least half their tenure. Rumors were Pletch wanted in also but we didn't go all in.

Spencer also didn't pick Iowa because Jody told him to, he picked them because he wanted the Brands coaching him and why wouldn't he? Despite all that, he almost picked PSU several times because it was "just what he was supposed to do"

I really doubt Jody is trying to push kids away from PSU (I would absolutely buy he wants them at Iowa but he seems hands off enough) and even if he is, it's not working.

Last edited:
It surprises me that after picking up Spencer, Young, Murin, and Kemerer in a fairly short period of time from the western part of PA, that Iowa hasn't followed up with other recruits in recent years. Of the four mentioned, Murin is a Junior and the others are Seniors.

The only other PA kid on the roster is Desanto, and of course he's a Senior.
giphy.gif

It surprises me that after picking up Spencer, Young, Murin, and Kemerer in a fairly short period of time from the western part of PA, that Iowa hasn't followed up with other recruits in recent years. Of the four mentioned, Murin is a Junior and the others are Seniors.

The only other PA kid on the roster is Desanto, and of course he's a Senior.
Well, it's not like future national champs have been falling off Western PA trees lately either.

It would not surprise me at all if Western PA produces < 10 AA wrestlers from the 2018-2022 classes combined (with Lee being 2017). Including Starocci.

Well, it's not like future national champs have been falling off Western PA trees lately either.

It would not surprise me at all if Western PA produces < 10 AA wrestlers from the 2018-2022 classes combined (with Lee being 2017). Including Starocci.
Jefe in your opinion where is PA at with south eastern part of the state with wrestling. Not sure if any powerhouses ever developed around philly long term. Seems like there would be a ton of kids in that area

Jefe in your opinion where is PA at with south eastern part of the state with wrestling. Not sure if any powerhouses ever developed around philly long term. Seems like there would be a ton of kids in that area
@dicemen99 is much more involved with Philly area HS wrestling ... but here goes:

Malvern Prep is a national power.

Among the suburban PIAA schools. Council Rock South, Council Rock North, Boyertown are probably the best and most consistently good. They get invited to the tougher in-season tourneys outside the region like Powerade. They'd hold their own in D11 -- probably not beating Nazareth or Beca but competitive.

A few other good programs but they seem to not be as consistently good as those 3. Maybe my perception is a little off here.

Reactions: royboy and danoftw
We knew this back in June when he posted his commitment to VT...
What was the story with him? He committed here for a little bit. I remember being a bit shocked because he was committing at a weight where we were beyond loaded at or years to come. My guess is he realized he can get money elsewhere and actually have a good shot at the lineup vs walking on here. Wish the kid the best.

What was the story with him? He committed here for a little bit. I remember being a bit shocked because he was committing at a weight where we were beyond loaded at or years to come. My guess is he realized he can get money elsewhere and actually have a good shot at the lineup vs walking on here. Wish the kid the best.
Kibe decommitted the day after Facundo committed.

Reactions: tabenn and danoftw
Kibe decommitted the day after Facundo committed.
Nope Facundo committed 2/7/20, Kibe committed 2/16/20

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT