ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

This is close to what I had in mind as well. I'd definitely look for 125/133 because I'm not sold on Steen being a meaningful contributor (at least not by PSU standards) and Howard is off to a rough start with injuries. It's also really hard to find career 125's too. 157/165 would be next because I too am skeptical that Lee and Facundo can hold those weights for 4 more years. Either way, definitely luxury mode.

Unfortunately, I think Iowa beat him for the top lightweight recruit with Jesuroga and Cael making a serious push for a guy who was considered an Iowa lock tells me he might agree. McGowan is good too, but it seems like he's fallen under the radar in the last year or two. Really liked him a couple years ago. Could just be me not paying enough attention, but he has fallen a bit in Willie's rankings.

In summary, Cael is probably gonna win a few duals in the next few years.
Correct, agree on 125/133. RoHo has all the potential in the world but I am very worried about his shoulder. Resting him next year is 100% the right move. I view Gary Steen as a Jordan Conaway type guy for us. See him being a mid to lower AA (without a lot of bonus) his junior and senior year. That's not an issue at all with everything else Cael has if that's the "hole" in the lineup.

Agree Jesuroga was the big prize for 125 but it was always a long shot to pull him out of Iowa.

Reactions: PASLP2 and js8793
And Phil Davis never finished above 4th at PIAAs but was a 4x AA, 2x NCAA finalist and NCAA Champ. Some kids develop a lot and others don't. How Cael and company manage to keep on picking (for the most part) the ones that will develop is beyond me.
Not to diminish your broader point, NoVa, but credit for the Davis example would go to Sunderland & Co. 🙂

^^ This.

I like Steen as a prospect, very happy Cael flipped him. We're hearing he's now a full-sized 125, and hopefully that's true. And he'll improve in the PSU room.

He's still a true freshman in a weight with a lot of returning talent. A reasonable expectation today is 1-2 or maybe 2-2 at nationals with a good draw, subject to revision with college results under his belt.

Anyone who today honestly thinks Steen will approach Cenzo's freshman year (or Zain's or Nico's, etc.) is either a Steen relative or on crack.
I think the important thing for Steen if he starts is to just qualify. I would be really surprised if he places, but once you're in the bracket the backside draws can get crazy and he could end up in the R12 without having to go through anybody out of his league. R12 doesn't actually score many points (2 w/o bonus), but if Howard is out and you don't land Suriano, 2 points out of 125 is a really good result for you given the circumstances.

I am hoping steen gets in the PSU room and like all the freshman before him jumps levels. Ty moore was a 4 x never really came close to those type of results in college jimmy g same thing college is different on many levels not just wrestling never know how a kid will turn out just a rust in the process

Not to diminish your broader point, NoVa, but credit for the Davis example would go to Sunderland & Co. 🙂
Never said it wouldn't. folkstyle fan started this part of the discussion with "Why all the doubt of steen he’s a 2 time state champ right now. I believe we had another 2 x state champ that did very well. Hmm wasnt his name joseph" No mention was made in that post or any of the subsequent ones mentioning Cael.

He's still a true freshman in a weight with a lot of returning talent. A reasonable expectation today is 1-2 or maybe 2-2 at nationals with a good draw, subject to revision with college results under his belt.

Anyone who today honestly thinks Steen will approach Cenzo's freshman year (or Zain's or Nico's, etc.) is either a Steen relative or on crack.
Why not both :)

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
Not sure where to post this ...but I need help ( yeah...I know....obvious ). Seriously.....I have a Rokfin account. Every time I check out Willie's High School rankings....I can view P4P and all weights from 106-145. I can not see any weights higher than that. I have no clue as to why. I can't find any place to view weights 152-and up. Please help this poor old man.............or I shall "Taunt you for a second time" and/or "Fart in you general direction" or just slink into the darkness of space/time :)

Reactions: hlstone
Not sure where to post this ...but I need help ( yeah...I know....obvious ). Seriously.....I have a Rokfin account. Every time I check out Willie's High School rankings....I can view P4P and all weights from 106-145. I can not see any weights higher than that. I have no clue as to why. I can't find any place to view weights 152-and up. Please help this poor old man.............or I shall "Taunt you for a second time" and/or "Fart in you general direction" or just slink into the darkness of space/time :)

They are all there, just need to scroll after expanding the dropdown tab to see the weights after 145.

Reactions: Sportfan2017

No. 1 Greg Kerkvliet No. 3 Carson Kharchla No. 6 Jordan Decatur No. 18 Dylan D'Emilio

No. 4 Sammy Sasso No. 10 Gavin Hoffman No. 15 Quinn Kinner

No reason to list 2020/2021 to early to tell.

I don’t belive you can discount Logan and Kyle, but they were about as can’t miss as you can get. They would have won no matter where then went. No different then Spencer or Taylor.

Not a lot of success from this list. Sammy will have a tougher time in the next few years. He is good but offensively he hasn’t shown much improvement. So I wouldn’t take that bet. Your list proves the point, a whole lotta underachieving.
Some people might say Tom recruits to recruiting board rankings and not independent analysis. Getting a headline that says you recruited a top class with 3-4 top 15 kids keeps your job for 3-4 years regardless of actual performance. I pay attention to the kids who Cael brings in to the football games. It’s hard to imagine a top 20 kid not having Penn State on a visit list. If Cael doesn’t reciprocate, to me that is all I need to know about what they think his talent/mental level is.

Iowa went all in on Sebolt. This could either make them or break them.
In the next few years Iowa will be out of the top five. They are getting crushed on the recruiting scene.
PSU gets who ever we want!
Oklahoma State has some studs from the last year classes.
Tan Tommy is putting together a solid crew.
TJ Sebolt may as well just take the Iowa Assistant job.
You mean when the kids who have been there for 7-8 years graduate?

I hear if you want a recruiting championship banner, or to max your deadlift potential Columbus is the place to be.
THATS THE BIGGEST JOKE, PSU ONLY CARES ABOUT WINNING TITLES WHO GIVES A CRAP ABOUT BEST RECRUITING CLASS!TELL US WHIO WAS THE BEST 4 OR 5 YRS LATER!!
And Phil Davis never finished above 4th at PIAAs but was a 4x AA, 2x NCAA finalist and NCAA Champ. Some kids develop a lot and others don't. How Cael and company manage to keep on picking (for the most part) the ones that will develop is beyond me.
so true Cael certianly knows who he wants and gets most of the time!!

The kid is a stud, but where does he project? Seems to me a post Dean 197 is certainly worth discussing.

I am not yet on the Aaron to 197 train, but it would seem our needs here aren't that great unless Beard wont be around for the next 4 yrs, or if Aaron will move up in 2 years post Dean.

The kid is a stud, but where does he project? Seems to me a post Dean 197 is certainly worth discussing.

I am not yet on the Aaron to 197 train, but it would seem our needs here aren't that great unless Beard wont be around for the next 4 yrs, or if Aaron will move up in 2 years post Dean.
184/197, probably he and Levi split those weights.

Should've mentioned above: of those 4 schools, only PSU and VT were on his previously published school list. UNC and Maryland added; Virginia, Navy, Ohio State, and Michigan dropped out.

Reactions: Ja1339
"One of these things is not like the others"
Not to one-up your joke--but I couldn't resist.

bigbird-one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-others.gif

Reactions: BOSCO2

Have any insiders given any idea as to how Beard v. Dean is going in the room? I've always thought Beard has a legit shot to win that battle.

Some guy on 247 said Beard is winning and it’s not close. Michael’s problem isn’t his best, it’s his worst when the tank runs empty.
I thought Beard could get in on the legs as good as the best of em, but he definitely gasses very quickly.

Have any insiders given any idea as to how Beard v. Dean is going in the room? I've always thought Beard has a legit shot to win that battle.
I think people are sleeping on Beard. I think he wins the spot and is a top 4-6 guy. He attacks the legs as well as anyone at the weight and is quite good on top. If he can figure out his gas tank he can go with anyone.

Reactions: danoftw and js8793
Some guy on 247 said Beard is winning and it’s not close. Michael’s problem isn’t his best, it’s his worst when the tank runs empty.
Would not shock me at all. Dean is pretty overrated imo and his small frame and power-based style gives me concerns about his success up at 197. People forget that before the miracle win over Martin, he had to get bailed out by the official to get past Cash Wilcke, who completely outwrestled him. I'm also higher on Beard than a lot of others too.

I think people are sleeping on Beard. I think he wins the spot and is a top 4-6 guy. He attacks the legs as well as anyone at the weight and is quite good on top. If he can figure out his gas tank he can go with anyone.
Lest we forget, Beard was one slip away from beating Myles Amine. With another year in the room, it wouldn’t be surprising at all to see him jump a level.

Reactions: danoftw
I think Beard is a better wrestler for the first 4-5 minutes, but unless he gets early termination, the last two minutes are going to be rough. It's like a slow motion car wreck.

For like the tenth time on this forum: I hope Beard is riding a bike, a lot. If he can get his endurance up, he'll beat a LOT of people. The kid was a foot slip away from beating Amine.

WORK ON YOUR ENDURANCE, BEARD!

Reactions: Ski
Would not shock me at all. Dean is pretty overrated imo and his small frame and power-based style gives me concerns about his success up at 197. People forget that before the miracle win over Martin, he had to get bailed out by the official to get past Cash Wilcke, who completely outwrestled him. I'm also higher on Beard than a lot of others too.
While that’s true, Max has shown he’s a good tournament wrestler. He hasn’t missed the podium yet. He beat Nino 6-0 also before beating Martin. (I know Nino wasn’t as good then) He also historically has shown he’s good at figuring out opponents (he went from losing handily to Zavatsky to majoring him) All in all, Michael had a really good draw last year and I think Cael hoped he could capitalize better than he did (even if he AAed) Don't forget Michael nearly got majored by Caffey also (an example of his worst)

It would be an ultimate 4D chess move by Cael to bring in a former finalist with the hidden intention of making him a room guy just to motivate your own guy 😂

I think Beard is a better wrestler for the first 4-5 minutes, but unless he gets early termination, the last two minutes are going to be rough. It's like a slow motion car wreck.

For like the tenth time on this forum: I hope Beard is riding a bike, a lot. If he can get his endurance up, he'll beat a LOT of people. The kid was a foot slip away from beating Amine.

sometimes conditioning issues aren't physical. nerves/adrenaline dumps will wipe you out quickly.

sometimes conditioning issues aren't physical. nerves/adrenaline dumps will wipe you out quickly.
Genetically Michael should have no issues with his gas tank. His older brother was an elite swimmer for Penn State.

Just my take.
Dean is a finalist. An NCAA finalist is generally not something that is gifted. Dean is two time AA.
Dean is damn good. Any attempt to belittle the accomplishments of a a junior who is already a 2 time AA is really bizarre.
Beard is also really good. As a sophomore he is already an AA who has pushed a couple of the truly elite 197 dudes to the limit before falling short. He does have a history of gas tank issues, and that gas tank is the reason for most of the kid's losses last year.

If Dean is our 197 pounder, we probably have a top 4 kid who is a legitimate threat to Okie State's race car.
Considering Dean has a large gas tank, the only way Beard claims the 197 spot from Dean is if Beard has corrected his gas tank issues. If Beard has a gas tank, and is beating Dean, then we got something special at 197.

Last edited:
Genetically Michael should have no issues with his gas tank. His older brother was an elite swimmer for Penn State.
50M or 1500M?
Had to ask...

Couldn't help it. My OCD made me research this. He was a sprinter. And then I found this THON video of him lip synching on twitter. I'm pretty sure he gassed here too...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: johnstownsteel
Gas tank issues can once in a rare occasion be something other than effort. Even in most of those cases, the correction is a more concentrated effort.
Beard has a gas tank issue, it is an issue he has had since arriving in State College. He does not dog it in the room, he works hard in the room. Most work done in the room is on wrestling and techniques.

Gassing is a complicated thing. For some it's as simple as training harder. But for a number of others there's a psychological component, including getting too hyped up before the match, and that's a lot trickier to overcome. I think Andrew Alton had a significant psychological component. I'm not sure what is behind Beard's gas tank issues, but I'm pretty sure there's more to it than just needing to train harder. I would be shocked if Beard hasn't be training hard.

Sorry Nitlion6: I didn't see your post before posting this. Sounds like we have the same thought.

Reactions: nitlion6
Gassing is a complicated thing. For some it's as simple as training harder. But for a number of others there's a psychological component, including getting too hyped up before the match, and that's a lot trickier to overcome. I think Andrew Alton had a significant psychological component. I'm not sure what is behind Beard's gas tank issues, but I'm pretty sure there's more to it than just needing to train harder. I would be shocked if Beard hasn't be training hard.

Sorry Nitlion6: I didn't see your post before posting this. Sounds like we have the same thought.
Beard's tank issue is not psychological, it isn't some weird genetic disorder.
He works hard in the room where the concentration is on wrestling and practicing techniques. The hard-core cardio is developed outside the room.

Andrew Alton also had a 4 shoulder surgeries component.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT