ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

TBT: "Nolf officially projects at 141/149 and is likely Andrew Alton's successor at 149. This sets up a lightweight murderer's row: 4x champ Gulibon, World Champ Retherford, and (expected) 3x champ Nolf."

I agree with Willie that Van Ness won't be 157 maybe ever. I followed his youth & middle school career. Maybe a nice growth spurt is about to happen. Nolf was a high school 138 senior year and had a decent career at 157. Van Ness was 138 at national prep open and then 143 for the olympics duals.
If Willie is right they need to go in full attack mode for a career 157 unless Haines is done growing but I bet he isn't.
Nolf had a DECENT career….

lol

Reactions: Waxman1607
Are there many 157 options in 2022? The top uncommitted 157 projected on Willie's big board is Hunter Garvin and we aren't on his list.

It's actually not tough to balance if they think Van Ness can go 157 at some point. Willie insists it won't happen but who knows?

2022:
133 - RBY
141 - Bartlett
149 - Van Ness
Bouzakis/Mendez RS

2023:
133 - Bouzakis/Mendez
141 - Bouzakis/Mendez
149 - Bartlett
157 - SVN

Nobody loses any eligibility and have to greyshirt. That being said, I think it's clear Bartlett/Van Ness at 141/149 are way more optimal. I think Cael wants one of Bouzakis and Mendez and hope they are career 133s. Willie said he's starting to think Bouzakis is in that mold. I don't think they're a legitimate package deal, I'm sure they talked about it and how it would be cool to drill together but if they happen to pick the same school, I don't think it's because the final decision was the other is going there but more that it just happened to be the best fit for themselves.
Has RBY said he won’t wrestle in 2023? Doesn’t he have JR eligibility next year?

Has RBY said he won’t wrestle in 2023? Doesn’t he have JR eligibility next year?
My bad, I just realized I mistyped this. I typed the year where the season would start, not when the NCAAs would be so it should be 2023 and 2024.

No NLee next year either. I hadn't heard. Shouldn't there be a thread on this?
I owe everyone a revision lol

2022 NCAAs:
133 - RBY JR
141 - Nick Lee SR
149 - Bartlett/SVN FR (could be 141 also and Nick here but a lot of people said he is 141 for sure)
RS: Bartlett/SVN that doesn't go

2023 NCAAs:
133 - RBY SR
141 - Bartlett (SO or FR depending on if he won the spot in 2022)
149 - SVN (SO or FR depending on if he won the spot in 2022)
RS: Bouzakis/Mendez

2024 NCAAs:
133: Bouzakis/Mendez FR
141: Bouzakis/Mendez FR
149: Bartlett (SO or JR depending on if he won the spot in 2022)
157: SVN (SO or JR depending on if he won the spot in 2022)

That would be a dream scenario above of course and I don't see us getting both Mendez/Bouzakis and would be very happy for us to get one. That being said, if some kids grow (SVN), it can work.

Big question here is Howard and Steen obviously .... Willie has said he sees Howard as a longer term 125 now. I really worry about Robbie's healthy going forward tbh. 2nd shoulder surgery in a year.

Howard has great potential. I was very impressed with him in a weird shortened season coming off an injury. That said, shoulder injury again…very concerning.

Way to go Pitt! I would like nothing better than to see Pitt become a perennial top 10 team and in the trophy hunt most years. I even wouldn't mind a couple of second place finishes :)
Do you mean perennial top 10 in a Rutgers way, or in a real honest to goodness perennial top 10 team way. I ask only because they are said using the same words, but have entirely different meanings.

Willie mentioned that Cael often doesn't contact a kid until after their junior year is over on his show. Guess that makes sense since you might have a better idea of what weight they might project out to be. Obviously if we can get an official visit from Mendez, we have a chance but feel like there's a ton of ground to make up in that one.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Willie mentioned that Cael often doesn't contact a kid until after their junior year is over on his show. Guess that makes sense since you might have a better idea of what weight they might project out to be. Obviously if we can get an official visit from Mendez, we have a chance but feel like there's a ton of ground to make up in that one.
Cael was a little behind with RBY too. "Grandpa said if Cael Sanderson calls, you better go there."

Big question here is Howard and Steen obviously .... Willie has said he sees Howard as a longer term 125 now. I really worry about Robbie's healthy going forward tbh. 2nd shoulder surgery in a year.
Should start looking into a proper replacement for Howard tbh.. shoulder injuries are tough and seems like going to be one of those careers plagued by injuries..when healthy, prolly low AA- r16 guy, pretty clear he won’t be the second coming of N Meguladis even for 3rd p4p recruit.

Should start looking into a proper replacement for Howard tbh.. shoulder injuries are tough and seems like going to be one of those careers plagued by injuries..when healthy, prolly low AA- r16 guy, pretty clear he won’t be the second coming of N Meguladis even for 3rd p4p recruit.
I disagree about Howard's potential. I think his ceiling is very high if he can stay healthy. He was literally wrestling this year with no mat time at all. My worries is if he can stay healthy. I think Cael is very comfortable with Steen as our career 125. 133 it's clear he is hoping one of Bouzakis and Mendez starts there for a bit.

**** you rutgers fan. Lots of passive aggressive bullshit here.

Most of you guys really are garbage.

#boom!

#boom!
The funny thing about that post is that it's actively against Rutgers' interests. Any 125 that PSU might recruit, would have a trickle-down effect on Rutgers' recruiting that weight.

Aguilar just got pinned again in the time it took me to type that.

The funny thing about that post is that it's actively against Rutgers' interests. Any 125 that PSU might recruit, would have a trickle-down effect on Rutgers' recruiting that weight.

Aguilar just got pinned again in the time it took me to type that.
Actively against RU’s interests?? Trickle down effect on RU recruiting?? You guys just get top 10 p4p recruit at every weight I don’t think it affects us…

Didn't realize dude was a Rutgers fan, makes sense lol. Listen, I am absolutely not writing Robbie off, like I said, his ceiling is insane. He just has a sense that can make him special. There's a reason Cael full court pressed him. Willie just mentioned he might be a longer term 125 which I think is great since those are rare. I'm just concerned after I saw how easily he hurt his shoulder again at NCAAs. I hope I'm just over worrying.

#boom!
Passive aggressive?? I was clear in what I saw in Howard and wrestlers with a series of injuries..

PSU actually used to be my second favorite team before Cael came and Iowa was top dogs. Now that you guys are #1 all u do is bash and trash talk other teams especially Rutgers. Anyways have fun

Passive aggressive?? I was clear in what I saw in Howard and wrestlers with a series of injuries..

PSU actually used to be my second favorite team before Cael came and Iowa was top dogs. Now that you guys are #1 all u do is bash and trash talk other teams especially Rutgers. Anyways have fun
To be fair...we always bashed Rutgers.

#thebeatingswillcontinue

Actively against RU’s interests?? Trickle down effect on RU recruiting?? You guys just get top 10 p4p recruit at every weight I don’t think it affects us…
If Rutgers isn't going full-out for Marc-Anthony McGowan in its own backyard, then it'll be a very long trickle.

BTW, Gary Steen wasn't a top 10 PFP guy, and he was a Pitt flip. So you've basically said that Rutgers isn't recruiting at Pitt's level. Oof.

Last edited:

You said even if healthy he’d be low AA/rd 16 at best. That’s wishful thinking because you guys hate that he didn’t give Goodall the time of day.
A lot of Rutgers hate is due to your fan base’s horrendous leveraging of Sandusky. Even now, 10 years on, and you can’t have a thread on your board about PSU without an irrelevant and classless Sandusky crack. That’s the sign of a fan base with a lot of low class, wife-beater tshirt wearin’, cheesy moustache-sportin, Camaro-drivin’ goombahs

New Jersey's perennial top 10 team is just too easy to poke fun at.

Consideration has to given to which genius is holding the fork.
US4zF30.gif

You said even if healthy he’d be low AA/rd 16 at best. That’s wishful thinking because you guys hate that he didn’t give Goodall the time of day.
A lot of Rutgers hate is due to your fan base’s horrendous leveraging of Sandusky. Even now, 10 years on, and you can’t have a thread on your board about PSU without an irrelevant and classless Sandusky crack. That’s the sign of a fan base with a lot of low class, wife-beater tshirt wearin’, cheesy moustache-sportin, Camaro-drivin’ goombahs
rutgers-sun-tan.png

Yes, I think it’s reasonable that a healthy Howard is probably a low AA-r16 type. Maybe Jimmy Gulibon level. I certainly think it’s more wishful thinking that you probably think he can be the next nico Megaludis/ multiple ncaa contender. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Idk what happened with Sandusky, never posted anything on it and haven’t seen any recent post about it. Lol camaro drivin goombahs 😂😂

Yes, I think it’s reasonable that a healthy Howard is probably a low AA-r16 type. Maybe Jimmy Gulibon level. I certainly think it’s more wishful thinking that you probably think he can be the next nico Megaludis/ multiple ncaa contender. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Idk what happened with Sandusky, never posted anything on it and haven’t seen any recent post about it. Lol camaro drivin goombahs 😂😂
you never know...Howard is very good.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu

Howard was already R16 this year as a true frosh. You will have to point me to any point me to any posts that said he would be the next Nico.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT