ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: Junior Day Reactions

RyanSnyder

BWI Recruiting Analyst
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bellefonte
I'll be adding to this throughout the evening, I already have interviews lined up with Caedan Wallace and Landon Tengwall for tomorrow afternoon, so expect more on those guys tomorrow or Monday depending on when I get them.

Class of 2019 - PSU Commit

CB Keaton Ellis - FILM - State College, Pa. - State College

- On who he spoke with the most and which players are showing interest back

Caedan [Wallace], [John] Metchie and Andre White are the guys I’m really starting to get close with. They all love PSU. I'm also building really good relationships with Tyler Rudolph and Marquis [Wilson]. I know they're feelin PSU. I was also able to talk with Lance Dixon and his family. The two of us are starting to build a good relationship.

Class of 2019

TE Jahleel Billingsley - FILM - Chicago, Ill. - Phillips

- On what stood out the most Saturday

Everything stood out today. Honestly, everything about Penn State is breathtaking. Between the tour, the atmosphere and the coaching staff. Everybody was really welcoming. It felt like home to me, honestly. I met some recruits from around the world and made some new friends. The hospitality was great.

- On who he spoke with the most Saturday

I meet with Coach Franklin, Coach Bowen and Coach Rahne and I chilled with Keaton Ellis, who’s already committed to Penn Sate. I met with almost all of their coaches. They're all great people.

- On what’s next and where PSU stands.

I plan on getting to TCU and Minnesota soon. Right now, Penn State is pretty high on my list, but no specific spot. Besides Purdue, I haven’t seen a lot of places. I’m definitely feeling PSU a lot. It’s a great school. It was a great experience.

My Thoughts: Great first impression for Jahleel. PSU hasn't offered many tight ends so far, but I think he's the one to watch the closest.

LB Lance Dixon - FILM - West Bloomfield, Mich. - West Bloomfield

There’s definitely a family atmosphere that stands out about Penn State. We also saw the Lasch Building the academic halls and the stadium. That's all really nice. I enjoyed meeting with Keaton Ellis and his family. They were great people

My Thoughts: I talked to Coach Pry and Coach Franklin mainly. They loved the idea of me coming to Penn State.

- On what's next and where PSU currently stands.

I'm not sure which schools I’ll be visiting next, but it’s safe to say it’ll be in the Big 10. Penn State is definitely high on the list, especially after this visit.

My Thoughts: This was Dixon's third visit to Penn State. They've impressed him on each of those trips, but will it be enough to pull him from the two in-state schools, Michigan and Michigan State? I think that may be tough, but I have no doubts that PSU is the school that will give those two schools their biggest challenge.

K Justin Duenkel - FILM - Great Falls, Va. - Flint Hills School

- On what stood out the most

I visited before for the Pitt game. It was awesome, but I really enjoyed this visit because I got to spend more time with the coaching staff. I also enjoyed Coach Franklin’s presentation. I love the idea of the competing for a National Championship and getting a great degree!

- On where he stands when it comes to a scholarship offer

There seems to be a lot of interest and I am very hopeful. It’s God’s plan.

- On what's next and where PSU stands

In the next few weeks I am visiting Virginia, Virginia Tech, NC State and Ohio State. I am blessed that PSU has shown so much interest and that goes a long way. It’s very hard to beat the atmosphere at Penn State.

OL Jakai Moore - FILM - Nokesville, Va. - Patriot

I'd have to say how down-to-earth the coaches were. I really talked to them and got in my comfort zone with them. We also saw the academic center, the weight room, the football field. All three of those places stood out. They're very nice. Also, I got to be honest, the food and how good it was. (laughs) That also stood out.

I loved the coaching staff. They're great people to talk to. Also, how the community has so much love for football. Multiple people came up and talked to us, which caught my eye. That was the best family atmosphere I felt anywhere. I really felt like they're a family there. Ive never felt that good and comfortable around coaches before.

My Thoughts: Another great first impression here. Moore is still wide open, so we'll have to see where PSU stands once he visits a few other schools. I expect him to return to State College before the end of spring practice.

CB Tyler Rudolph - FILM - Oaksdale, Conn. - St. Thomas More

What caught my eye was how much I felt at home. Even though it was my first visit (not for a game or camp) and all, I just felt at home. The love that Coach Smith and Coach Franklin showed were amazing and the stadium just made it even better.

I don’t have any other visits planned, but I’m sure I will soon. As of now, PSU is my number one.

My Thoughts: I think Penn State is the team to beat here. I've felt that way basically ever since he was offered in November. He doesn't appear to be in a rush, so lets see where he visits next. I expect Rudolph to visit PSU at least one more time before the end of spring ball.

LB Andre White - FILM - Harrisburg, Pa. - Harrisburg

What really stood out was just seeing all Penn State has to offer. They really have so many resources that it’s hard to not prosper at the school. What stood out is the individual time I had with all the coaches

I’m pretty sure over this weekend I met and talked with every coach there. I like the fact that what they say feels like they really care for the players. They’re worried about their academics and then athletics, not just one or the other. I respect that

My Thoughts: Another prospect that has PSU at the top of their list. White has been to games in the past, but this was his first chance to really meet with the staff for an extended period of time. It was also my first opportunity to talk to Andre and I must say, I was very impressed. Andre is very well-spoken. I'd be surprised if the Harrisburg to PSU train doesn't continue in 2019.

CB Marquis Wilson - FILM - Windsor, Conn. - Avon Old Farms

Coach Franklin was just stating facts about everything and how the statistics backed it up. That definitely stood out to me because most coaches talk to me and say a lot of stuff that isn't true.

- On who he spoke with and hung out with the most

I talked to Coach Smith the most. Of course, he's my position coach. Also, I was talking with Coach Spencer because he’s from around where I live, so me and my family know him a little more than the other coaches. I like that I met some of the recruits. I follow a couple of them on IG or Twitter, but now seeing them in-person gives me a better picture of how tall they are and how true their bios are. (laughs)

I was talking with Keaton [Ellis] and Tyler [Rudolph] the most. Honestly, we were talking mainly about basketball today. We were debating all day who could dunk on who. We asked the coaches because we were trying to take a poll, but of course, they were all trying to be nice. They know I'll windmill on both of them. (laughs)

I’m trying to set up all my official visits now so I can schedule those for this spring and summer. So, I'm working on that now. No one is standing out above anyone else right now. I'm open to every school.

My Thoughts: Another player that has PSU at the top of his list, even though he won't admit it. He's also planning to use his official visits later this spring, then commit in the summer. As long as the staff doesn't fill up at DB before then, Wilson should be in a good spot to join the Lions when he's ready.

LB Kyi Wright - FILM - Farrell, Pa. - Farrell Area

The thing that stood out to me the most is how the coaching staff at Penn State promotes academics before athletics. Also, it was good to finally get a change to see campus and tour. The Q and A with some of the players was also very cool. They broke down what the program is about. It gave me some insight about what Penn State football is all about.

- On meeting with the coaches and other recruits

Getting up to State College was a great opportunity for me to connect with the coaches and meet some of the other athletes that are in a similar position. It was great talking with them.

I do plan on taking more visits. Right now, I'm planning on going to Pitt, Maryland, and Michigan State, plus a few other schools. If PSU offers, I think they will be in the mix.

My thoughts: It's all about position with Kyi Wright. Can he play linebacker? Can he play defensive end? That's what the staff wants to figure out before potentially offering. They clearly like him. I believe this was his third or fourth visit to PSU now.

DT Elijah Wroten - FILM - Fort Washington, Pa. - Germantown Academy

The thing that stood out to me the most was how much the coaches stay involved. From talking to all of the coaches, they really do care that you get a great education, play high-level football and become good men. Throughout the day, I noticed this trend as we toured the academic buildings and received presentations from Coach Franklin and some of the other coaches, as well as the academic staff.

In the morning, I met with Coach Franklin and Coach Chaos. We talked about building a relationship and getting to know each other more. We also had position meetings, so I went with Coach Spencer and he just talked about the different styles of play in their program.

The thing I like most about their coaches is their honesty. I believe that a coach that is honest is what makes a strong relationship.

- On where he stands when it comes to earning a scholarship

The coaches would like to keep building a relationship and get to know me better before they offer and I respect that decision a ton! Coach Franklin and Coach Spencer are good men and they making sure they are making the right decision. Once we form that relationship we will see what goes on from there.

- When asked if they mentioned anything about him attending a camp

They also didn't mention coming to camp, but they do hope I come back on campus for a spring practice or game once the season starts.

My Thoughts: No offer for Wroten yet, but he's definitely someone we'll be watching this spring. Very mature young man. Whether PSU offers or not, we'll see, but I expect him offer sheet to grow substantially between now and the end of the spring eval. period.

Class of 2020

RB Jalen Berger - FILM - Ramsey, N.J. - Don Bosco Prep

- On what stood out the most on Saturday

Honestly, everything stood out to me today. It's the best visit I've been on so far. This was my second junior day at Penn State, but the first Junior Day it was rainy and I couldn't see everything. This visit was different. I got to tour the educational buildings and talk with Coach Franklin and meet the new running backs coach, Coach Seider. Coach Seider is a great person. I feel like I can build a great relationship with him going forward.

Then, when we went in the Locker room and I saw the shoulder pads, the pants, the cleats, socks and all that, plus had one of the coaches telling me to put on the uniform, I was probably one of the first people dressed. Putting on the uniform for the first time gave me goosebumps. It made me want to play a game at that moment. We also toured the field, which blows me away every time I step foot inside.

I'm currently planning trips to Ohio state, Alabama, Virginia Tech and Florida. PSU is standing out, for sure. I'm feeling Penn State.

My Thoughts: One of Penn State's top overall targets in 2020. I thought Berger's comments spoke extremely high of PSU. Personally, it's too early for me to pick the Lions or anything like that. He does have a lot of big-time visits lined up, but I do feel like PSU is going to be in this mix until the end, to say the very least.

Saf. Enzo Jennings - FILM - Oak Park, Mich. - Oak Park

- On what stood out the most on Saturday

One thing that stood out today was how Penn State is the best of both worlds between academics and football. Another thing that stood out to me was how great their coaches were. I could tell Coach Banks and Coach Franklin really care about their players and I would be in good hands if I went to Penn State.

I mainly talked with Coach Franklin and Coach Banks. They told me they love the way I play and the type of overall guy I am. They said they want to keep building a strong relationship with them and that I will be hearing from them soon.

I'm not sure which schools I'm going to see visit, but PSU is definitely high on my list, mainly because of the coaches and the benefits of getting a Penn State degree.

- On earning a scholarship offer

The coaches said that one should be coming soon.

Class of 2021

Ath. Derrick Davis - FILM - Monroeville, Pa. - Gateway

What stood out to me was how much they talked about academics and graduating.That's extremely important to me. Another thing was the gear they get every year even when going to bowl games the stuff like that. The players receive a lot cool stuff.

- On who he met with the most

I was talking to all their coaches. It was especially good seeing and meeting James Franklin and Coach Terry again, but everyone down at Penn State was nice. Another thing that was good for me was interacting with other players and knowing a little bit about them. It was good meeting some new guys that I could possibly later on be playing on the same team with or against down the road.

I don't know yet right now, but Penn State is definitely up there. It's a great school and I have a good feel for it now.

My Thoughts: It was great for the staff to get Davis on campus early for a Jr. Day. He's seen games, but this was his first opportunity to tour everything and get that one-on-one time with the staff. Aside from some graduating seniors, you can argue that Davis is already the best player in Pennsylvania, so it's great for PSU to get him on campus early for an event like this. I expect many more visits to come in 2018 and beyond.

RB Evan Pryor - FILM - Charlotte, N.C. - Hough

The biggest thing that stood out to me was how well the program is run. It was a well-oiled machine. The coaches not only knew me by name, but my strengths as a player.

I talked to Coach Seider and Coach Smith. Coach Seider, the running back coach, said that he loved the way I ran and how unique I was at the running back position. Coach Smith spoke to me about not needing to rush to put on a lot of weight because my vision was going to help me on the high school level.

I have already been up to NC state and UNC. I have been invited to Tennessee, Virginia Tech and Iowa St. Penn State stands number one at the moment.

- On where he stands when it comes to a scholarship offer.

They said to be on the look out in the spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: GBlion and RCotto18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News