ADVERTISEMENT

Recommendations for family of 5 traveling to Colorado Ski Country

PSU95alum

Jul 27, 2006
I lived out in Denver for a few ski seasons back in the early 2000's, but that was when it was just me and the wife, sans kids. We spent many days on the mountains snowboarding and evenings/nights partying it up in the towns. Being that it's been a few years and I'm sure things have changed a bit (i.e.- Breck didn't have the Gondola from the lower parking lot back when I lived there), as well as the fact that I now have 3 kids (12, 10, 7), I don't pretend to know what is best for our situation.

We are heading out in a few weeks for 7 nights and I was hoping to get a discount on a place to stay either through AirBnB or VRBO (always had luck getting great rates last minute in the past). The only place we are somewhat committed to skiing as of now is A-Basin, as I got a great deal on a few transferable 4-pack lift tickets for around $159. But we don't need to ski 4 days there, maybe just 2. My 10 year old skis free as he is a 5th grader (I got him the 5th grader ski free pass). We got a few other "kids ski free" passes as well. When we lived there, we had the CO Pass, so always went to ABasin, Keystone, Breck, or Vail, and didn't venture off those mountains. Since we don't have the pass limiting us to certain mountains, we might like to do Copper or something new to us. Also, we don't need to ski every day of the week we are there- we are open to other options as well. We'd like to stay somewhere within walking distance to a bar or 2 so the wife and I can leave the oldest in charge of the kids so we can go out at night for an hour or so on our own, but close enough to get back quickly if needed.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

You mentioned that you'd like to do Copper Mt. Based on that, I'd suggest looking for a VRBO or AirBnB in Frisco, CO. I've rented places there in the past, and found the location convenient to Breck, Copper, Vail, and Beaver Creek, while the houses were cheaper than staying at any of the aforementioned resorts. It's a nice sized town, so you can find pretty much everything you want to entertain your kids, as well as your wife and yourself. I don't have a particular house that I go back to, or could recommend; I just go online and look for something that meets my size and availability requirements. You should be able to search on Google Maps for any place that interests you, and see if it is in walking distance to a few bars.

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!

First thing you need to do is pray for more snow! So far it's been a terrible snow year. Hopefully the pattern will change. I'm in Vail and very little of the mountain is open. It's weird to see them blowing snow at this time of year.

Remember if you take a lesson, tip your instructor. They don't make squat. If your kids need an instructor at Vail, I can recommend a good one, my daughter. If you need any info on Vail, I'd be happy to help if I can.

Think Snow! Have fun.

You mentioned that you'd like to do Copper Mt. Based on that, I'd suggest looking for a VRBO or AirBnB in Frisco, CO. I've rented places there in the past, and found the location convenient to Breck, Copper, Vail, and Beaver Creek, while the houses were cheaper than staying at any of the aforementioned resorts. It's a nice sized town, so you can find pretty much everything you want to entertain your kids, as well as your wife and yourself. I don't have a particular house that I go back to, or could recommend; I just go online and look for something that meets my size and availability requirements. You should be able to search on Google Maps for any place that interests you, and see if it is in walking distance to a few bars.

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!

Thanks Tom. I thought about Frisco, as it is central to everything, but if I recall correctly, it is more of a generic business center with the WalMarts and KMarts, no? We want to have the look and feel of the ski town. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly???

First thing you need to do is pray for more snow! So far it's been a terrible snow year. Hopefully the pattern will change. I'm in Vail and very little of the mountain is open. It's weird to see them blowing snow at this time of year.

Remember if you take a lesson, tip your instructor. They don't make squat. If your kids need an instructor at Vail, I can recommend a good one, my daughter. If you need any info on Vail, I'd be happy to help if I can.

Think Snow! Have fun.
Yes, I'm somewhat worried about it. I think ABasin has some decent snow, so maybe we will be going there all 4 days! Lol.

The snow conditions are so bad in Colorado that I'd actually take a look at Montana and Wyoming. The jet stream has been more favorable to those states.

A-Basin gets overskied and is always crowded. If you're insistent on CO, I'd look at Steamboat Springs. They have somewhat benefited from the sparse snowfall and it's an interesting little town. It's not Aspen or Vail, but there are plenty of accommodations

Think Snow! Have fun.
Hi, John. Gary here. I met John on this board last winter after my ski post soliciting info about Vail. John gave my family a good VRBO recommendation at Vail last year. We hooked up for a day of skiing, and led us on an-all day tour of the mountain. He has good first hand tips about the area. He thinks snow is bad at Vail - my family has plans to ski New Mexico in Feb, and they are much worse off!

Hi, John. Gary here. I met John on this board last winter after my ski post soliciting info about Vail. John gave my family a good VRBO recommendation at Vail last year. We hooked up for a day of skiing, and led us on an-all day tour of the mountain. He has good first hand tips about the area. He thinks snow is bad at Vail - my family has plans to ski New Mexico in Feb, and they are much worse off!
Hi. Hopefully the pattern changes before Feb. It's been a very frustrating season. Last year my very worn out bad knee kept me on groomers (boring). Now I have a new bionic knee and there is almost nothing open. Have fun in NM.

The snow conditions are so bad in Colorado that I'd actually take a look at Montana and Wyoming. The jet stream has been more favorable to those states.

A-Basin gets overskied and is always crowded. If you're insistent on CO, I'd look at Steamboat Springs. They have somewhat benefited from the sparse snowfall and it's an interesting little town. It's not Aspen or Vail, but there are plenty of accommodations
Flights have been booked for a few months, so kind of committed to CO. I don't need epic conditions as I'm so out of shape and my kids are new to this. Basically going out to give them the experience and see how they take to the mountains. Might think about relocating again. Thx.

we just spent 9 days at Beaver Creek and skied 8 days. We found a VRBO place within walking distance of BC Square, ski school and primary gondola. No rental car needed. There are a number of restaurants near BC Square. Some are not too expensive ... !

BC has a great mountain. Many nice blue and green runs. My 10YO did ski school and skied with us. Ski school is pricey but I would imagine the same cost as Vail.

John is right ... Vail and BC need some natural snow right now.

Hi. Hopefully the pattern changes before Feb. It's been a very frustrating season. Last year my very worn out bad knee kept me on groomers (boring). Now I have a new bionic knee and there is almost nothing open. Have fun in NM.

John ... I believe you turned me on to SBF for custom ski boots. We went to the BC Square location. Thank you! After 8 straight days my one knee is a little wonky otherwise I feel fine. More important, I skied much better.

Thanks Tom. I thought about Frisco, as it is central to everything, but if I recall correctly, it is more of a generic business center with the WalMarts and KMarts, no? We want to have the look and feel of the ski town. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly???
I regularly ski at Copper and Frisco is pretty central to all the Summitt Co. resorts. There's actually a Main Street in Frisco (next exit west from CO 9) with a lot of non-chain establishments. Some VRBO type places to stay as well. Might also consider staying in the village at Copper, walk to bars/rest/shops. They also have a tubing hill my kids love for a non-skiing day.

Well if you want to get off the beaten path. Try www.wolfcreekski.com. Not a resort, a mountain. As others have mentioned, they don't have much snow, maybe 15-18".
You can stay in Pagossa Springs. A neat town w natural hot springs
They did raise the price of lift tickets up to $70!!

John ... I believe you turned me on to SBF for custom ski boots. We went to the BC Square location. Thank you! After 8 straight days my one knee is a little wonky otherwise I feel fine. More important, I skied much better.
Glad to hear the boots are working out. Best skiing investment you can make. If you ever (hopefully not) need to replace a knee do it here at Steadman Clinic. Dr. Kim is one of the best in the world and so is Steadman. Sadly did that last May 1, and it works fine for skiing.

If you get out this way again look me up here and we can do some turns. Happy Skiing, and New Years!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT