ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Tom Ryan interview with Pyles (SIAP)

Understood,but if I'm not mistaken once you breakdown opponent is when you are supposed to better your position or come out on side to work for turn. That is where I think the issue is. You breakdown opponent, opponent gets to knees and it is repeated.
I have far more problem with that situation. Unless bottom man is tucking his arms and elbows, the top man should be dictating the action.
I don't like 2-1 matches. It's a great sport, let's see action not hugging.
Don't think I'm an fan yelling Call the stall. I'm not. The refs and rules dictate the action.
Well…according to the rules in place, here is the verbiage for On the Mat stalling:

Art. 15. On-the-Mat Stalling Situations. Offensive and defensive stalling situations also include:
a� The offensive wrestler does not aggressively attempt to break down the opponent�
b� The defensive wrestler not initiating action to escape or reverse the opponent�
c� An offensive wrestler not making an effort to return the defensive wrestler to the mat is considered stalling� In all rear-standing situations, it is the offensive wrestler's responsibility to make an effort to return the defensive wrestler to the mat�

So, if the bottom wrestler gets to his knees, the top wrestler can break him down…and shouldn’t be called for stalling. Brooks was rightfully called in the final with Amine when, while standing, he didn’t return him to the mat one time before going OOB, but nowhere in that match did Brooks stall while they were both on the mat. AB kept flattening Amine….and it was a beautiful thing.

The below description is taken from the NCAA web site. Obviously you posted very detailed rules. I am certain the rules go into a different set of guidelines when bottom wrestler is on mat.
"Wrestlers competing too close the edge or being pushed out of bounds while not initiating action can lose a stalling point. Offensive wrestlers can also be docked stalling points for not working on top of another wrestler to turn or score on him. The wrestler on the bottom can be hit with stalling for not working to escape. Efforts to delay a match can also be deemed stalling."
I don't disagree with you about the way that match was called by the rules you posted. However from an action standpoint, isn't putting the same ride on a guy time after time knowing no offense is possible similar to grabbing a leg. ?
Just my thought on how wrestling might be improved.

Last edited:
The below description is taken from the NCAA web site. Obviously you posted very detailed rules. I am certain the rules go into a different set of guidelines when bottom wrestler is on mat.
"Wrestlers competing too close the edge or being pushed out of bounds while not initiating action can lose a stalling point. Offensive wrestlers can also be docked stalling points for not working on top of another wrestler to turn or score on him. The wrestler on the bottom can be hit with stalling for not working to escape. Efforts to delay a match can also be deemed stalling."
how about the boots in approach and when the bottom wrestler frees up is driven out of bounds. then repeat. Many teams us this approach

I don't disagree with you about the way that match was called by the rules you posted. However from an action standpoint, isn't putting the same ride on a guy time after time knowing no offense is possible similar to grabbing a leg. ?
Just my thought on how wrestling might be improved.
I am fine if they change the stalling rules to something more desirable. I have no doubt that Cael and company will adjust better than any other program in America.

Good interview. I do wish Cael were more accessible and transparent but I guess I’ll just have to settle for a dynasty.

Might’ve misunderstood and I don’t know OSU’s roster super well… did Ryan say he had the best 184 in the country at the end of the year?

Reactions: mcpat
Exactly - he turns it up to 11 and doesn’t hide the fact that he’s pissed
these-go-to11-spinal-tap.gif

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
The best solution to this is for Ryan to de-emphasize recruiting in his home state, one of the top talent pools in the country.

Because that's what we're really talking about here. It's almost always the Ohio wrestlers like the Jordans, the Decaturs, etc., who struggle on bottom. His out-of-state wrestlers have generally been pretty good on bottom.

I think, a few years ago, David Taylor said as much about Ohio Wrestling in general. There was no emphasis on mat wrestling.

I think, a few years ago, David Taylor said as much about Ohio Wrestling in general. There was no emphasis on mat wrestling.
I agree 100%with this statement.
I don't mind Ryan's persona. Kids act classy and good graduation rate.
His biggest issue is not developing mat wrestling.Most posters know my disappointment that Penn State didn't recruit Sasso. If Sasso went to PSU,I guarantee you his offensive and mat skills would of been much better than the skill set you see at Ohio State. Sasso always was hard to score on and likes to counter off moves. He just has not improved his offense in college to go to next step. Numerous Ohio State wrestlers have the same mantra, Moore being another example.

lol instead of ryan complaning about penn state rides he should be concerned about teaching his guys how to get off the bottom!

God I love the off-season, you have rumors of J Freak’n Smith being ran out of Stillwater on a rail, and Ryan and Koll as wishes to replace Cael.
Shocked Saturday Night Live GIF

Understood,but if I'm not mistaken once you breakdown opponent is when you are supposed to better your position or come out on side to work for turn. That is where I think the issue is. You breakdown opponent, opponent gets to knees and it is repeated.
I have far more problem with that situation. Unless bottom man is tucking his arms and elbows, the top man should be dictating the action.
I don't like 2-1 matches. It's a great sport, let's see action not hugging.
Don't think I'm an fan yelling Call the stall. I'm not. The refs and rules dictate the action.
That’s always been a legitimate criticism of Penn State. They ride guys out and try to win 2-1. Jesus Christ. Get out of here with this nonsense. You aren’t even good at trolling.

That’s always been a legitimate criticism of Penn State. They ride guys out and try to win 2-1. Jesus Christ. Get out of here with this nonsense. You aren’t even good at trolling.
I'm a Penn State fan. Grew up a Lehigh wrestling fan until the Internet allowed me to follow Penn State easier. I was commenting what Ryan was saying about the ride and what might make the sport better. The sport evolves. I'm not sure how old you are but if you remember in the the late 1970s guys would throw a figure 4 around waist and crank on a half for a whole match. It was terrible. NCAA eliminated it. The Penn State wrestlers are great at the ride which is allowed. That doesn't mean that maybe in the years to come the governing body might tweet the rule on using the same ride.
I'm certain that I'm not a troll but sometimes I try to be open minded on issues.

Last edited:
Now we know who doesn't trust Vincenzo Joseph.

You ever see Cenzo and the Zodiac Killer in the same room?

That was just a riff on the original "never trust a man with two first names, especially if one of them is a woman. " From a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode, dunno why it sticks in my head.

I figured saying that Terry Brands should be the next head coach would have clearly indicated my sarcasm.

For a number of reasons no. There are some unethical things going on beneath the surface at NCST. A few transfers in the last two years may have some stories to tell about the culture he's creating there.
Have heard nothing but good things from multiple first hand accounts including wrestlers who transferred out

Reactions: hlstone
For a number of reasons no. There are some unethical things going on beneath the surface at NCST. A few transfers in the last two years may have some stories to tell about the culture he's creating there.
Such as?

This would be very shocking.....shocking to me.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT