ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Tom Ryan interview with Pyles (SIAP)

BruceK-PSU83

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
About a week old but didn't see it posted here.

Pretty interesting stuff, as Ryan is quite forthcoming. Of note, he mentions PSU's "stall ride", singling out Starocci. This just before the 27:00 time stamp.

Last edited:
Reactions: fronk71

Pretty interesting stuff, as Ryan is quite forthcoming. Of note, he mentions PSU's "stall ride", singling out Starocci. This just before the 27:00 time stamp.

I feel sorry for Carter’s Buckeye opponent this year - not.

Ryan’s really adding up the enemies from Penn State’s team. We already know Mark and Cenzo didn’t like him. If he annoys a few more, he’ll be an Ace in no time

many on these PSU boards talk about our riding and the amount of RT we rack up.....

So I get an opposing coach bringing it up and trying to get referees to pay attention to it. Especially in the offseason and set the tone for referee meetings heading into the season.

C* will definitely hang it up, so agree with CMT that tO$U has some pain coming......

TanTom isnt a bad interview anytime he finds a mic in his face. This is good wrestling talk and promotion for his program, so good on him/pyles.

if you guys have time...take a listen to the Andy Hamilton interview with Mike Moyer from the NWCA. Some interesting stats and general info on the health of wrestling from top to bottom.

Reactions: diggerpup

Tom Ryan reminds me a lot of James Franklin. He’s a heck of a salesman and gets a lot of talent. But…

Different PSU wrestlers have very different styles on top. No one is going to confuse Zain Retherford on top for Beau Bartlett. I see a commonality in hooking the ankle and flattening the opponent. I fail to see how breaking down your opponent from the start position is a stall. I’m always astonished to not see more other teams do this.

The other commonality is bringing your leg up to the bottom man’s arm up front. I’ve never seen anything come of that, but I’m wondering if the hope is the bottom man grabs the leg so the top man can run a 3/4 Nelson for a trap turn.

Other than those two common PSU moves, I have no idea what the Penn State stall ride might be. Was Ruth stalling when he cradled everyone? Was DT stalling when he worked the tilt? Was Zain Stalling working the B&A? Was Nolf stalling when he optional started everyone and tried to grab a nearside cradle before playing with his food? Etc.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I thought Ryan was very forthcoming and really enjoyed how much info he is willing to share. I thought for 90% of the time it was a great interview. But then he had to spoil the good interview by complaining about officiating and Penn State stalling, and he sounded like a whiner

I think Ryan is good coach and a good man. He's planting a seed on the ride situation. Nothing but coach speak.
I think there are a lot worst coaches out there. If Cael ever stepped down and Penn State went out of network, Ryan would be a good choice.
The idea that Cael is held in such high regard, rightfully so, creates an unreasonable opinion of other coaches.

“Their” is nothing good to say about Tom Ryan. “There” coaching strategy is not how I would have done it. “They’re” is going to be heckling that comes from this stupid complaining of his.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Tom Ryan will never not be a total scumbag for forfeiting his own son in a championship tournament. He’s irredeemable as a coach for that move alone.
Just an opinion (that I have shared on here b4). Watching Jason Nolf brutalize the Ryan kid to the point Jake was staggering all over the mat trying to simply survive the Nolf onslaught totally freaked Ryan out. I am always going to believe the forfeit out of the championship round was driven by the Nolf beating.

Reactions: WeARE
Just an opinion (that I have shared on here b4). Watching Jason Nolf brutalize the Ryan kid to the point Jake was staggering all over the mat trying to simply survive the Nolf onslaught totally freaked Ryan out. I am always going to believe the forfeit out of the championship round was driven by the Nolf beating.
That was similar the way a killer whale toys with a seal before the kill, LOL.

• Sad
Reactions: Lion8286
Interesting theory ... but they were on opposite sides of the bracket (Nolf 1, Ryan 11) and wouldn't have met until the finals. Ryan would've had to beat Murphy, then Berger, then Kemerer first.

It was a bizarre decision just from looking at the brackets. B10 got 9 qualifiers at 157. Beating 6-seed Murphy in the opener would've practically guaranteed no worse than 8th. Instead he opened consis with the 14, then drew the 4-5 loser and dropped to the 9-14 bracket. Those competing paths were easily predictable before the forfeit.

Reactions: goldenanimal
I’ve heard nothing but good things about coach Ryan’s character. However, he is the only coach I’ve heard was a pain in the you know what while at the BJC.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Despite popular opposition, including from knowledgeable notables such as Ryan and Smalls, I view the ability to ride out the most elite folk competitors on the planet, as an elite 'skill'.

If the stall ride was so easy why can't Ryan's kids do it, and if his kids want to win national championships they need to be able to get out from bottom.

When I watch RBY Fix 1, I see an epic performance. I think the number of guys who can ride Fix out to win a championship is limited to one. The one wrestler who is better than fix. Carter has demonstrated massive skill in all three positions against the very best. Winning a national championship shouldn't take mastery of only two pistons. I will admit I am in favor of calling quicker stale mates after a wrestler has amassed a minute and a half of riding time, but you earn a point for a reason - riding a hammer is frigging hard.

I think Tom Ryan is a really good 'man', he has been through a lot and has a lot of admirable qualities. His wrestling resume speaks for itself. That said, it's so disappointing at times to see him come across as such a jealous, envious petty, whinny, cry baby. Cael is the best of a generation, he's win 9 of 11 and you zero in on that ride? 9 of 11.

Now that I am wound up, Hey Tom how about you cut the embarrassing bull shit black shirted, pin chained, robed gimmicks; and actually coach your kids in all three disciplines so you can win a championship when it isn't a punt year for the good guys. What a putz!

Last edited:
At some point you have to recognize your deficiences and try to correct them. You would think Ryan would figure out he needs to make getting off the bottom as priority, still has not figured that out. A one leg Nolf's brutalization of Micah Jordan from the top position in the semi's should have convinced Ryan, nope.

At some point you have to recognize your deficiences and try to correct them. You would think Ryan would figure out he needs to make getting off the bottom as priority, still has not figured that out. A one leg Nolf's brutalization of Micah Jordan from the top position in the semi's should have convinced Ryan, nope.
The best solution to this is for Ryan to de-emphasize recruiting in his home state, one of the top talent pools in the country.

Because that's what we're really talking about here. It's almost always the Ohio wrestlers like the Jordans, the Decaturs, etc., who struggle on bottom. His out-of-state wrestlers have generally been pretty good on bottom.

I personally think numerous Penn State wrestlers do benefit on the top ride. I think a kid from a non elite program without a legendary coach is get called for stalling.
Just my opinion.
Season 4 What GIF by The Office

I personally think numerous Penn State wrestlers do benefit on the top ride. I think a kid from a non elite program without a legendary coach is get called for stalling.
Just my opinion.
Not if they continue to break down their opponents, like PSU wrestlers do most of the time. The rule says that if you break down your opponent, there is no stall. Folklore has it that you must work for a turn….not true.

Ryan is petty.

Last edited:
Not if they continue to break down their opponent, like PSU wrestlers do most of the time. The rule says that if you break down your opponent, there is no stall. Folklore has it that you must work for a turn….not true.

Ryan is petty.
Understood,but if I'm not mistaken once you breakdown opponent is when you are supposed to better your position or come out on side to work for turn. That is where I think the issue is. You breakdown opponent, opponent gets to knees and it is repeated.
I have far more problem with that situation. Unless bottom man is tucking his arms and elbows, the top man should be dictating the action.
I don't like 2-1 matches. It's a great sport, let's see action not hugging.
Don't think I'm an fan yelling Call the stall. I'm not. The refs and rules dictate the action.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Interesting theory ... but they were on opposite sides of the bracket (Nolf 1, Ryan 11) and wouldn't have met until the finals. Ryan would've had to beat Murphy, then Berger, then Kemerer first.

It was a bizarre decision just from looking at the brackets. B10 got 9 qualifiers at 157. Beating 6-seed Murphy in the opener would've practically guaranteed no worse than 8th. Instead he opened consis with the 14, then drew the 4-5 loser and dropped to the 9-14 bracket. Those competing paths were easily predictable before the forfeit.
Yeah, I know they were on opposite sides of the bracket.
I am a bit unsure with my recollection, but I believe Jake sat out the last couple duals after the PSU match and then the bizarre strategy of forfeiting the first match in the championship round. Not a strategy Ryan had ever used prior or since. Then the next year Jake is used as a spot starter at 157 with the other OSU 157 pounder going 0 for whatever.

I could be full of baloney, but despite Jake getting pulled for the concussion protocol and then being cleared to continue I have always been certain the kid was concussed. We are talking about a father who lost one son and sat helplessly watching his other son being physically obliterated. I am going to forever believe Ryan was emotionally freaked out and short of forbidding Jake's participation simply was trying to protect his son.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about coach Ryan’s character. However, he is the only coach I’ve heard was a pain in the you know what while at the BJC.
The way his wrestlers carry themselves in public speaks to Ryan's positive influence on his athletes.
With that said, Ryan does whine and obviously does suffer from Cael envy so it probably isn't surprising he can be a bit of a butthead when visiting PSU.

I think Ryan is good coach and a good man. He's planting a seed on the ride situation. Nothing but coach speak.
I think there are a lot worst coaches out there. If Cael ever stepped down and Penn State went out of network, Ryan would be a good choice.
The idea that Cael is held in such high regard, rightfully so, creates an unreasonable opinion of other coaches.
LOL Ryan never!

ADVERTISEMENT