Recent Hemingway documentary on PBS has Penn State connection. (Cue the OUTRAGE. [insert the face here] . )

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the link below. From the article:

“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Those who watched the “Hemingway” documentary, which premiered on PBS at 8 p.m. on April 5, may recognize onscreen a couple of Penn State faculty, who advised the film's producers, at several points during the three-part, six-hour series.

Sandra Spanier, Edwin Erle Sparks Professor of English at Penn State, and Verna Kale, assistant research professor of English, advised award-winning filmmakers Ken Burns, Lynn Novick and Sarah Botstein throughout the project. Kale was also interviewed and briefly appears onscreen in the series.”

o_O

Have any of you watched the documentary? Thoughts?

Woodpecker

May 29, 2001
See the link below. From the article:

“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Those who watched the “Hemingway” documentary, which premiered on PBS at 8 p.m. on April 5, may recognize onscreen a couple of Penn State faculty, who advised the film's producers, at several points during the three-part, six-hour series.

Sandra Spanier, Edwin Erle Sparks Professor of English at Penn State, and Verna Kale, assistant research professor of English, advised award-winning filmmakers Ken Burns, Lynn Novick and Sarah Botstein throughout the project. Kale was also interviewed and briefly appears onscreen in the series.”

o_O

Have any of you watched the documentary? Thoughts?
Many of these people watched it.

Midnighter2

Jan 21, 2021
What about people who look like them?

d5f99006077eacd78a4906fd2ccd0cb0b476f0a4.gifv

GSPMax

Jun 21, 2018
I watched it. I am a fan of his writing, his personal life not so much. One thing I learned was his connection to the Soviet Union. Only mentioned in passing but I learned later that there is much more to the story.

The man had some issues with mental health, booze, and abuse of women, to say the least.

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
Dr Phillip Young, who taught at Penn State for many years, was possibly the leading expert on Hemingway.
9780271020921_p0_v4_s1200x630.jpg